Angels in the Architecture

Very nice. Thanks for the link.

+++

I can hear Cadets playing this, especially if they "drum corps-ize" it the way they did Appalachia Spring in 1987.

I also think it has Vanguard written all over it, and Star of Indiana from their "Medea" days.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I guess Bocook's remark that “students deserve to hear a crowd on their feet” is going to have to wait until 2012. :tongue:

Okay, and?

What's the potential hook?

Narration: "I am an architect of God"?

or

Little Frank Lloyd on the field?

The possibilities are almost endless.

Hmmm...I guess Bocook's remark that “students deserve to hear a crowd on their feet” is going to have to wait until 2012. :lol:

Yeah....

Just listening to the source music, you can tell that the drill, arrangements and guard work are going to combine to produce one sleeper of a show already....

:tongue:

Yeah....

Just listening to the source music, you can tell that the drill, arrangements and guard work are going to combine to produce one sleeper of a show already....

:tongue:

No, but I do think he's got a valid point. I like Frank Ticheli's music, but it is NOT music for the masses. I can see where many spectators will politely applaud at the end, but say it was just another of those modern band pieces.

No, but I do think he's got a valid point. I like Frank Ticheli's music, but it is NOT music for the masses. I can see where many spectators will politely applaud at the end, but say it was just another of those modern band pieces.

Modern band pieces have worked before. "In The Spring..." seemed to garner a decent amount of applause if memory serves. Seems a bit premature to say a show's a yawner when a note has yet to be arranged. Even last year's show - most seemed in agreement that the music was great, but the show itself (programming), in some aspects, was lacking.

I think there's more than just the music that the crowd responds to. Their '05 show had some really great musical moments, but received tepid applause. Their '00 show also had great musical moments and the crowd went nuts.

Not crowning them '11 champions by any stretch, but let's at least wait and see what they do with it.

Modern band pieces have worked before. "In The Spring..." seemed to garner a decent amount of applause if memory serves. Seems a bit premature to say a show's a yawner when a note has yet to be arranged. Even last year's show - most seemed in agreement that the music was great, but the show itself (programming), in some aspects, was lacking.

I think there's more than just the music that the crowd responds to. Their '05 show had some really great musical moments, but received tepid applause. Their '00 show also had great musical moments and the crowd went nuts.

Not crowning them '11 champions by any stretch, but let's at least wait and see what they do with it.

Asphalt Cocktail seemed to work ok for Bluecoats. And the crowd "responded" to it....so obscure music the crowd is not familiar works just fine. It's all about the programming.

I can see this piece working for a drum corps show. But I vaguely sort of agree with the earlier poster -- it doesn't strike me as Cadets material. Just a gut reaction -- not anything I can put a finger on and I can't defend it.

But as much as we heard from Hop this summer about more crowd-oriented, "mainstream" pieces being the wave of the future, I'm sure you can understand the eyebrows raising when he makes an apparent u-turn on that.

Mike

I understand. I just disagree. I don't think "accessible" = "mainstream" (although I will agree that the inverse is generally true).

I'd contend that nearly everyone in the audience was unfamiliar with "Puck" from Crown '09 but it was certainly a crowd-oriented arrangement.

I don't think this Ticheli stuff is "inaccessible" in the least (although I'm sure it could be arranged into jaw-dropping numbness with the kiddy scissors and glue stick in the right hands :-) ).

IMHO being "crowd friendly" is more about arranging and programming than the source material.

Edited by corpsband

I understand. I just disagree. I don't think "accessible" = "mainstream" (although I will agree that the inverse is generally true).

I'd contend that nearly everyone in the audience was unfamiliar with "Puck" from Crown '09 but it was certainly a crowd-oriented arrangement.

I don't think this Ticheli stuff is "inaccessible" in the least (although I'm sure it could be arranged into jaw-dropping numbness with the kiddy scissors and glue stick in the right hands :-) ).

IMHO being "crowd friendly" is more about arranging and programming than the source material.

Agreed.

Also think that Ticheli stuff is probably more drum corps fan friendly than oh, say... Robert Palmer's Simply Irresistable.

IMO, anyway.