What Sparked your Drum Corp Interest?

When I was five years old, I was helping my father mow the lawn. There was a strange, rhythmic rumbling coming from the distance. I looked at my dad, who had a huge grin on his face and gave him the classic, "Huh" face. he told me to go get my stuff that we were going for a ride. What i saw when we pulled up was a memory that has stuck with me through thick and thin, even after the party with 27th in Edmunton, which caused me to forget much of my math background. Drums everywhere, glocks everywhere...

A little background information might be called for. In Northern California, every year in October, there was what was called, "State". The morning started with drill teams and progressed to the myriad of drum & bell corps that existed in California back then. I think batons factored into that equation too. There were so many at one time it lasted all day. Then, when the sun went down came the Drum & Bugle corps!!!! Oh my frigg'n god!!! I was home. There was over a dozen corps back then so it was quite a show, in fact The Show out this way, since touring hadn't been innovated yet. Remember too, that these were the days when drinking and smoking in the stands were not only allowed, they were encouraged...

I went to this thing for years, I took some lessons, but didn't really pick a corps I wanted to march with, until 1967/68 when this ragtag group of kids came out dressed in green satin, yes, green satin and walked like gods. Once, again, I was home. I knew I had to be a part of this, and in 1973 that dream came true when I donned the now red tunic of the Santa Clara Vanguard. Which made my dad beam!! Did I mention he marched in the 40's?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a kid, growing up in Lynn MA and lived across the street from Manning Bowl....

As soon as I was allowed to I joined a the local Corps (all male) so I could compete in Manning Bowl. I've competed there with all 5 of the Drum Corps I've marched with... :sleeping:

(Shows in Manning Bowl are the ONLY shows my entire family has seen me compete in Drum Corps. With two sisters, one older & one younger, I was the only one interested in DC.)

As a kid, growing up in Lynn MA and lived across the street from Manning Bowl....

As soon as I was allowed to I joined a the local Corps (all male) so I could compete in Manning Bowl. I've competed there with all 5 of the Drum Corps I've marched with... :sleeping:

(Shows in Manning Bowl are the ONLY shows my entire family has seen me compete in Drum Corps. With two sisters, one older & one younger, I was the only one interested in DC.)

Were you there the night a baritone was tossed over SCV's head to another corps who wore gold? That night is legendary in SCV lore. :sleeping:

this is easy.........VINCE BRUNI.

Were you there the night a baritone was tossed over SCV's head to another corps who wore gold? That night is legendary in SCV lore. :sleeping:

Hadn't missed many from 1961 through 1968, after 68 I was either competing some where else or not where I could see who was on the field in the Bowl for a lot of the shows there... (I don't recall seeing a Baritone "intentionally" tossed but I have seen a few "tossed" BITD. LOL)

My days of competing was from 1963-1985 What year was the SCV toss?

Hadn't missed many from 1961 through 1968, after 68 I was either competing some where else or not where I could see who was on the field in the Bowl for a lot of the shows there... (I don't recall seeing a Baritone "intentionally" tossed but I have seen a few "tossed" BITD. LOL)

My days of competing was from 1963-1985 What year was the SCV toss?

69, when you were with BAC.

Pittsburgh Rockets observation. The year year you played "Patton" 72? Anyway, your kickoff was "Polivyitsian (sp) Dances, something like that. I have never heard another corps do it. It was really memorable and. well, cool. "Stranger in Paradise for concert I think.You played "Summer of 42" exiting the field. What a great show and well played. :sleeping:

Edited by Mike_B

That's easy...

it was EXPECTED of me... that I would be in drum corps at a very early age as was my big brother and then my little brother...

Same here. If I didn't march corps I would have been shunned from the family. :sleeping:

When I was five years old, I was helping my father mow the lawn. There was a strange, rhythmic rumbling coming from the distance. I looked at my dad, who had a huge grin on his face and gave him the classic, "Huh" face. he told me to go get my stuff that we were going for a ride. What i saw when we pulled up was a memory that has stuck with me through thick and thin, even after the party with 27th in Edmunton, which caused me to forget much of my math background. Drums everywhere, glocks everywhere...

A little background information might be called for. In Northern California, every year in October, there was what was called, "State". The morning started with drill teams and progressed to the myriad of drum & bell corps that existed in California back then. I think batons factored into that equation too. There were so many at one time it lasted all day. Then, when the sun went down came the Drum & Bugle corps!!!! Oh my frigg'n god!!! I was home. There was over a dozen corps back then so it was quite a show, in fact The Show out this way, since touring hadn't been innovated yet. Remember too, that these were the days when drinking and smoking in the stands were not only allowed, they were encouraged...

I went to this thing for years, I took some lessons, but didn't really pick a corps I wanted to march with, until 1967/68 when this ragtag group of kids came out dressed in green satin, yes, green satin and walked like gods. Once, again, I was home. I knew I had to be a part of this, and in 1973 that dream came true when I donned the now red tunic of the Santa Clara Vanguard. Which made my dad beam!! Did I mention he marched in the 40's?

Was this at the World Open

Going to the Pagent of the drum show in Syracuse, N.Y. 1953 and I was 7 years old

Brigadiers, Gabarina Post Skyliners Cabs and others. ( Peashey was probably in there)

I told my grandmother that when I was old enough I wanted to do that,it was exciting to say the least. In 1962 I started

with a parade corps near my home, from there it just kept going, Brigs, Crusaders, a plug for 1 cab show

57 years later I still am involved The Brass Shop

Paul Collins

yup Paul... I'd bet money I was at that show too... only slightly older than you and already playing a horn...