Imperial Sound's Financial Appeal

We in DCP land can be a fickle lot. Many here decry the lack of new, startup corps, even while we diagnose, ad-nauseam, the reasons why it's so difficult to get a new corps off the ground. Many who offer supposed solutions to these problems freely admit they'd never themselves try to launch such a project, while some go the next step and get behind the Herculean effort by contributing time, money, and/or expertise. Few, disappointingly darn few, actually have the fortitude to face down the odds and step up to actually start a new drum corps. Yet, nearly all agree that the activity is slowly imploding on itself as corps big and small fold around us.

Now comes Imperial Sound, a new drum corps venture in West Chester, PA. In full disclosure I know very little about this organization, and am in no way connected with the effort to get them off the ground. The corps' website (http://www.theimperialsound.info/) shows a skeleton staff, with appeals for volunteers for nearly every position needed to field a corps and get it down the road. The music staff is sparse, but those listed as on board have requisite experience in the activity. The director, Robert Azzarano, is an Accountant with a career in Finance. Although his photo-face may suggest to some that he has more dreams than experience, his area of expertise is one that is routinely trumpeted as being a cornerstone of proper drum corps fiscal responsibility. If it is only dreams and a head for numbers that he has to offer, so be it, for it's usually the young dreamers who lurch an idea into reality even as many, more "experienced", dreamers shy away from the challenge.

Many here on DCP will agree that the successful organizations get the lion's share of support, both financial and volunteer. Yet we should not forget the irony in that statement; how is a new corps expected to become successful in order to receive the support that success brings, when it takes that very support to become successful in the first place? Surely Azzarano and the myriad other start-up and perennially struggling corps wrestle in real time with that truth. Yet there is a difference here between The Imperial Sound and other startups versus those organizations who find themselves annually fighting for financial survival, teetering in and out of fielding a corps because support funds (and sometimes staff) ebb and flow. For an established, if fledgling, corps vacillation between survival and death invariably brings questions relating to the many "Why Corps Fail" discussions we enjoin here. In the case of the Sound they're simply asking for the chance to succeed. The reasons we banter about why corps fail can't be applied to Imperial Sound even as doubts as to their success may abound.

Each of us hopes, in one way or another, for a new corps management to succeed, and each new success on the path to fielding a new corps brings kudos and more hope that the success continues. Such is the basis of our hope that the activity as whole survives. Such is the case with Imperial Sound. While its easy for us to hurl slings and arrows at corps management that continue to disappoint, the disappointment rarely kills in us the hope that one, just one, of the many "dreamers" will actually make good and spark anew our own dream that we don't outlive the activity.

Despite the doubt and disappointment that past failed attempts reinforce, Imperial Sound is asking each of us who cares about the activity to focus on our hopes instead of our disappointments. They're asking us to cast off the skeletons of defunct corps and emphasize the potential of the new and the unknown. It is the whim of the dreamer and it is the drum corps version of American Dream.

I'm a financial guy - investments and such are the stuff of my profession. I freely admit that purely on the basis of "Past Performance" it seems irrational to put even a dime of investment into the Imperial Sound. Yet many "professional" investors recognize that the big payoff comes from getting in on the ground floor of something new. In my business simply being right more often than wrong is reason to celebrate. In baseball a .500 average is the stuff of legends. But in drum corps we seem to want the "sure thing", the perfect bet that defines our fickleness, even as we inherently know it is oh, so rare to attain. But, as goes the sales pitch for the ever-popular lottery games, "You can't win if you don't play", we in drum corps don't win if corps like Imperial Sound don't play. How many (myself included, on occasion, and maybe you) plunk down a dollar or ten to take the chance that "this time it will be different"?

I'm appealing to all DCP'ers to put up. To support the hope that the dreaming doers give us. To take the chance that this time it will be different. Imperial Sound has given a simple way for all of us to click our support and re-kindle our hope in the growth of drum corps. In this land of great charity surely such a small contribution to the cause of drum corps is justifiable in each of us here on DCP.

I, personally, have pledged to Robert Azzarano and Imperial Sound that I will match the first $100 in contributions from DCP members. It's a small part that doesn't guarantee success and, if my challenge is met, I surely intend to look after my investment and hold management to its responsibilities. But it's the start they need. I implore and encourage you to join me, click the link below, and help give the corps a fighting chance to keep our drum corps dreams alive.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/195108...and-bugle-corps

EDIT: When you contribute be sure to send a PM to Robert so he can keep track of DCP contributors and let me know when my match is due.

Edited by garfield

$25.00 closer! :sleeping:

Garfield,

I'm deeply touched by the support, as I am from Jon. Some people have been following me for about 2-3 years on here. When I started out with a dream in my head and a whole lot of base to cover, I didn't know my ### from a hole in the ground. I had to learn how to write bylaws, create a strategic plan, develop a staff, etc. I learned a lot, but there's only so much you can learn before you need to take the plunge and just do it. I'm at that point. It's not that I want to create a corps this year, but I have to. I have the subconscious need and desire to get this off the ground... now and immediately.

I should point out, our staff list on the site is not up to date, primarily because we, as an organization, don't want to release all of other staff names before the rehearsal on the 20th. We don't want to risk offers being made to staff from other drum corps before our first rehearsal. We've had some problems with that in the past, and we haven't updated the list in about two months. So, while it looks like a skeleton staff is on board, we, in reality, have more staff than is listed, including techs and instructors.

But, and I just want to say this so everybody is clear about it, Imperial Sound is not looking at some unrealistic dream here. We're not the next Crossmen, Star, or Jersey Surf. We exist for local underprivileged kids, and although we are having a field show this year, we're not traveling out of the northeast, we're sticking to parades and exhibitions, along with minor competitions in SDCA and DCNA.

I can tell you that we are following the operating strategy that Bob Jacobs developed at Surf because it provides the best opportunity for kids to be able to do this and hold a job (if they're lucky enough to find one). It also provides a glimpse into the general atmosphere of drum & bugle corps and the drum corps education that a lot of local band directors hold valuable.

So far, we have 30-40 kids signed up for our camps. They do it not for the competition but for themselves, the show, and the opportunity. For that, and what we're trying to do, we can afford to have our volunteer and administrative staff come into the program gradually and through membership and member retention.

Like I said, thank you, all of you, for supporting our cause. I'm sure those kids will appreciate it come November.

Rob

Garfeild, I take back all the bad stuff I ever said about you...okay it wasn't much its a jesture. I sending what I can. Its not much but I know when you're broke anything is alot. $10 to Imperial Sound via snail mail

Hey, $10 will buy a pair of sticks for a kid who can't, or maybe a used mouthpiece or a flag. It just goes to show that, despite our differences, we're all in this for the same reason.

And don't worry about all the bad things you've said about me. My skin is thick and you're in a long, distinguished line of people who have done so. :sleeping:

Thanks Blackstar.

One of the most inspiring posts I've ever read. Sadly, I only have $10 combined between two bank accounts and need it in case my 1/4 tank of gas runs out before friday but I'll do my best to think of Imperial Sound before I spend my paycheck this Friday!

I thought I'd let you guys know where we are:

1st Place - DCP - $96

2nd Place - Drumlines.org - $6

3rd Place - Snarescience - $0

Keep it up guys, and Garfield will be able to match the first $100 pledged by DCP. Only $4 needed to reach that goal. Thats 1 people donating $5, or 4 people donating $1. Can we do it, DCP?

Edited by ImperialSound_Director

$10 sent. Hope that's enough for the matching $100!

$10 sent. Hope that's enough for the matching $100!

Thank you, Heather. DCP is now at $106 contributed. You guys should feel proud about your community.

We still need to reach our goal of $1,000, because KickStarter doesn't collect pledges if the goal pledged has not been reached.

Please keep the support coming.

Edited by ImperialSound_Director