Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

It could be argued that such modern "uniforms" are uncharacteristic for drum corps, in which case, they definitely would be costumes. One could put a spin on this, either way.

And since when is putting a spin on something considered the truth? Just because the uniform is "uncharacteristic" of drum corps doesn't mean we should start calling it a costume. A uniform, is a uniform, is a uniform. It doesn't matter what it looks like, or whether or not someone likes the colors, or the hem, or the type of fabric used. Where in the definition of "uniform" do you find any specification of style, or "characteristics"?

A uniform is an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization (Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps), or rank. Period.

People's "spin" does NOT make it so. In fact, calling crown's 2010 uniform a costume is actually inaccurate. Just look at the definition!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Not last year though. The Madison Scouts were the overwhelming fan favorite last year.

In 2008, it was far and away, Phantom Regiment.

So while Carolina Crown is generally considered a musically entertaining Corps, insofar as the last 3 years are concerned, at least 2 out of these last 3 years, Carolina Crown did not " win fan favorite ". ( no big deal, but just wanted to set the record straight, that's all )

Not sure but I think he might be referring to the actual Fan Favorite Award (in which case I think he may be right).

• Like 2

And since when is putting a spin on something considered the truth? Just because the uniform is "uncharacteristic" of drum corps doesn't mean we should start calling a costume. A uniform, is a uniform, is a unform. It doesn't matter what it looks like. Where in the definition of "unfirom" do you find any specification of style?

A uniform is an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given organization. Period.

People's "spin" does NOT make it so. In fact calling it a costume is actually less correct than calling it a uniform. Just look at the definition!

I never said it wasn't a uniform, and I agree, there would be no reason to start calling the costumes. I'll most likely enjoy Crown's 2011 show regardless of what people call what they're wearing. However, a costume is merely a piece that is uncharacteristic for the time or place. If Crown comes out with something that is radically different than what many people consider characteristic for a drum corps, then one could easily call it a costume. Both words can describe the same thing simultaneously.

Not last year though. The Madison Scouts were the overwhelming fan favorite last year.

So while Carolina Crown is generally considered a musically entertaining Corps, insofar as the last 3 years are concerned, at least 2 out of these last 3 years, Carolina Crown did not " win fan favorite ". ( no big deal, but just wanted to set the record straight, that's all )

What I meant was the "DCI Fan Network Fan Choice Award". They have won that award a few years in a row now.

• Like 3

Not sure but I think he might be referring to the actual Fan Favorite Award (in which case I think he may be right).

Yes, I was, thanks.

• Like 3

I know that the gold horns last year were hardly a coincidence

but yes, I honestly believe that entertaining the audience is a very very high priority. I know someone fairly high up in the organization and every year that I ask him about the summer production, he tells me how much he thinks the fans will love it before anything else. I don't doubt that Crown would love to win a championship, but I just don't think that it's the first thing they think about when designing a show. Just my opinion, though. I could be wrong.

Spot on. It's emphasized to us all the time by the admins that one of our most important goals is to get the fans excited, and that the shows are programmed from that perspective. Yes, obviously we'd all love to win too, but that's not what it's really about for us.

"Set the record straight"? I don't mean to diss the Scouts, and I loved their show last year, but you know it was Crown who won the actual, official, voted-on-by-the-fans fan favorite award last year, right? With that in mind, saying that the Scouts were the "overwhelming" favorite seems more than a little disingenuous.

I think that both winning and entertaining the audience come into play for everyone. Though, I don't believe that anyone actually thinks "how can we make this boring?" when they're designing a show. It's just that some have different ideas of "exciting" than others. The designers and staff at Crown certainly know how to make things exciting for the people in the stands.

Agreed 100%. A lot of people seem to talk about this topic as though some show designers consciously sit down and say "alright, screw the fans, let's make this show as boring as we can!". If anyone could predict with perfect accuracy whether a show would be a crowd-pleaser, they'd be swimming in money, Scrooge McDuck-style.

It could be argued that such modern "uniforms" are uncharacteristic for drum corps, in which case, they definitely would be costumes. One could put a spin on this, either way.

Old-school drum corps doesn't have a monopoly on the word "uniform". Dictionary.com gives it as "an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank", and what any drum corps is wearing today easily meets that definition.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 2

Old-school drum corps doesn't have a monopoly on the word "uniform". Dictionary.com gives it as "an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank", and what any drum corps is wearing today easily meets that definition.

If you read my last post, then you'll see I don't object to that definition or people calling what corps' wear today "uniforms" either.

I merely took issue with the fact that people think "uniform" and "costume" are mutually exclusive, which they aren't.

Edited by dcsnare93

If you read my last post, then you'll see I don't object to that definition or people calling what corps' wear today "uniforms" either.

I merely took issue with the fact that people think "uniform" and "costume" are mutually exclusive, which they aren't.

Yup, I posted mine before I saw your reply. I still think it's a little odd for "costume" to imply something being abnormal or different, as it doesn't really have that connotation for me, but whatever - a rose by any other name...

Edited by CrownStarr

I never said it wasn't a uniform, and I agree, there would be no reason to start calling the costumes. I'll most likely enjoy Crown's 2011 show regardless of what people call what they're wearing. However, a costume is merely a piece that is uncharacteristic for the time or place. If Crown comes out with something that is radically different than what many people consider characteristic for a drum corps, then one could easily call it a costume. Both words can describe the same thing simultaneously.

If someone has an argument to call Crown's uniforms "costumes" then logically every other corps' uniforms can then be considered "costumes" as well. So based on the definitions of "costume" from the dictionary...

Is Crown's uniform a style of dress especially one that is peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period?

-well no more than the Blue Devil's, Cadets' or any other corps' uniform is a style of dress. But it definitely isn't peculiar to any nation, region, group, or time period... so no.

Is Crown's uniform dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person?

-Not exactly. It seems to be characteristic ONLY of modern drum corps... but all of the uniforms currently used are characteristic of modern drum corps because.. they are being currently being used in modern drum corps. So, All drum corps uniforms can also be considered "costumes" in this sense. But to make that kind distinction is silly.

IS Crown's uniform fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season?

-If the occasion is to perform in a drum corps show... but again, this applies to ALL other uniforms as well.

The point is that based on definitions there can be NO distinction between what Crown wears as a uniform and what any other corps wears as a uniform. It is impossible to prove to that Crown uses "costumes" while all the other corps use "uniforms". The definitions of the words do not lend themselves to make that kind of distinction. It's a uniform: an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank. If someone calls it a costume, they are calling all other corps uniforms costumes as well.

Edited by charlie1223