Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

A real drum corps would march naked

you wouldn't say that for a 30th anniversary alumni corps... :ph34r:

• Like 4

In fact, calling crown's 2010 uniform a costume is actually inaccurate. Just look at the definition!

Definition of " costume " :

A) " a style of dress including garments, accessories, hairstyle, perhaps make up, that is characteristic of a particular people "....... another definition : B) " an outfit worn to create or evoke the appearance characteristic of a particular time period, person, place, or thing ".

Now, why couldn't any Drum Corps Guard's attire for example be accurately described as a " costume " based upon the conventional definition above ? I have had several people, unfamiliar with Drum Corps, that the first time that they see a Guard's attire refer to it as a " costume ". It's usually said in a matter of fact, non judgemental, manner too. That's what the Guard's attire looks to them. It's " a costume", and the Guard had on make up, a particular hairstyle, and somtimes accessories for the occasion as well. I just never had a newcomer for the first time refer to it as a " uniform ". So when people see the Guard in " costumes " why is it " inaccurate " when it seems to be appropriate by the definitions above and also how people unfamilar with the activity are referring to it also ? Personally, I think calling it a " uniform " is ok too. But calling it a " costume " doesn't seem " inaccurate ", as you are stating here at all.

Edited by BRASSO

Definition of " costume " :

A) " a style of dress including garments, accessories, hairstyle, perhaps make up, that is characteristic of a particular people "....... another definition : B) " an outfit worn to create or evoke the appearance characteristic of a particular time period, person, place, or thing ".

Now, why couldn't any Drum Corps Guard's attire for example be accurately described as a " costume " based upon the conventional definition above ? I have had several people, unfamiliar with Drum Corps, that the first time that they see a Guard's attire refer to it as a " costume ". It's usually said in a matter of fact, non judgemental, manner too. That's what the Guard's attire looks to them. It's " a costume", and the Guard had on make up, a particular hairstyle, and somtimes accessories for the occasion as well. I just never had a newcomer for the first time refer to it as a " uniform ". So when people see the Guard in " costumes " why is it " inaccurate " when it seems to be appropriate by the definitions above and also how people unfamilar with the activity are referring to it also ? Personally, I think calling it a " uniform " is ok too. But calling it a " costume " doesn't seem " inaccurate ", as you are stating here at all.

I was stating that crown's uniform (not color guard uniform)is inaccurately described with the word "costume". Never did I mention crown's guard, an what they wear in anything that I have written so I have no idea why you countered with that. I did not make any mentions of Crown's guard.

this is what I said regarding "costumes".

If someone has an argument to call Crown's uniforms "costumes" then logically every other corps' uniforms can then be considered "costumes" as well. So based on the definitions of "costume" from the dictionary...

Is Crown's uniform a style of dress especially one that is peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period?

-well no more than the Blue Devil's, Cadets' or any other corps' uniform is a style of dress. But it definitely isn't peculiar to any nation, region, group, or time period... so no.

Is Crown's uniform dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person?

-Not exactly. It seems to be characteristic ONLY of modern drum corps... but all of the uniforms currently used are characteristic of modern drum corps because.. they are being currently being used in modern drum corps. So, All drum corps uniforms can also be considered "costumes" in this sense. But to make that kind distinction is silly.

IS Crown's uniform fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season?

-If the occasion is to perform in a drum corps show... but again, this applies to ALL other uniforms as well.

The point is that based on definitions there can be NO distinction between what Crown wears as a uniform and what any other corps wears as a uniform. It is impossible to prove to that Crown uses "costumes" while all the other corps use "uniforms". The definitions of the words do not lend themselves to make that kind of distinction. It's a uniform: an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank. If someone calls it a costume, they are calling all other corps uniforms costumes as well.

Edited by charlie1223

you wouldn't say that for a 30th anniversary alumni corps... :ph34r:

:laughing::laughing::spitting::laughing::laughing:

I was stating that crown's uniform (not color guard uniform)is inaccurately described with the word "costume". Never did I mention crown's guard, an what they wear in anything that I have written so I have no idea why you countered with that. I did not make any mentions of Crown's guard.

Thank you for clarifying that when you are referring to the attire of Crown above, you were referring to one section of the Corps, and excluding the Guard attire. I certainly think the description of " uniform " can be applied accurately to all sections of Crown ( as well as other Corps as well ). I also respect the observation of newcomers ( and others ) too when they look out onto a field and refer to what the Guards are wearing as " costumes ". Most of the time it's not a pjorative, nor is it judgemental in any manner. It's just an accurate description of what they see. I 'm quite certain that most of us here have heard others refer to Corps Guard's attire as a " costume " more oftentimes than a " uniform ". So this seems much to do about nothing, when we hear someone use the term " costume "or " uniform ", for whatever section of the Corps. It seems ok to me. They can call whatever someone has on their back anything at all. Who cares.

Edited by BRASSO

Just because their alumni don't throw a hissy fit when they change it ever year, and just because they're not having a special little party/get-together/kiss ### ceremony about their uniforms during the season - doesn't mean it's not a uniform.

Thats because Crown hasn't been around for as long as some other corps. They're still the new kids on the block, but their time will come.

:Edited to please some members hurt feelings:

Edited by ChwyNiblet
  • Like 4

Thats because Crown doesn't have the tradition that other corps have. They're still the new kids on the block and in my opinion, have huge egos for a corps that hasn't even come close to winning yet.

Second is close. You could have just said "a corps that hasn't won yet." Thats kind of a punk move to say that.

Though I have to say that I agree that they are a relatively new corps. That is a quantifiable fact. (roughly) 20 years is a lot less than 76 years.

And egos aren't bad unless they go unchecked. I haven't personally had any terrible experiences with anyone affiliated with Crown, so I can't say that I know about any "huge egos' they may or may not have.

• Like 4