Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I will agree with this. Drum corps snobs have been bashing on crown for being too 'cheesy' for most of the last decade. Theyve kept moving up and winning audiences. Only hearing this music and not seeing drill, i predict this will continue to happen in 2010.

Another thing a lot of people are overlooking (think I've only seen one reference on DCP about it) is that Crown has learned to be *very* prepared at the start of the season. At the 3 C's shows last season, the contrast with the other two corps was remarkable. While circumstances and design did eventually divert a little of that momentum, it would not surprise me to see CC be absolutely on fire at these two shows (pun intended).

I'm going to attempt to be as diplomatic here as possible, so I apologize ahead of time if I veer off that path at some point.

This still makes me sad that people think this is okay to do. I'm sure it will continue and probably get worse, but is not in support of our activity.

First of all, I'd respectfully request that you (or anyone else, for that matter) kindly tell me how and why posting a pre-season recording is NOT in support of our activity. Does your assertion also apply to the hundreds, if not thousands of "parking lot" videos that spring up over the course of a drum corps season? Would you prefer that fans refrain from using their iPhones during a horn arc before a competition?

Additionally, do you view Crown's position on this issue is comparable to, say, a professional musical act who prosecutes and/or sues individuals who post albums on bit torrent sites?

Keep in mind that I'm talking about legality, NOT morality. If you find this practice offensive because you're not inclined to want to reveal aspects of your show before you put it on the field to be judged, then I'm sorry to say I think you're a bit out of line. However, if it can be legally established that Crown has a right to the same copyright protections as Metallica or the producers of The Hurt Locker, or is going to suffer harm from having material posted on the internet, then by all means, I will back your play 100%.

Take it from a guy that has done this for nearly 40 years and has been doing it full time for the last 8.

With all due respect, Eric, please don't be that guy. Plenty of us here have every bit as much, if not more experience in this activity than you, not to mention the indisputable fact that in this age of increasingly sophisticated technology, not even the courts have been able to completely keep up with the ramifications of said progress.

My first thought is to stop linking any of news here.

And the last thing I think you really want to do is threaten your fan base. The above statement just seems petulant and elitist. Drum corps has always been about the kids first, and the fans second. It's a highly symbiotic relationship, so statements like that do nothing but exacerbate an already confusing situation. You need fans willing to shell out money to go to shows and buy DVD's, CD's and souvies. If you truly believe that some kid, who more than likely truly loves Crown, is somehow hurting your corps, then I guess all I'm asking is for you to tell me how.

• Like 9

No insider info about the uniform. Just basing my observation on last year's design and assuming it will be in use again this season with a new shirt underneath the vest.

The unis for 2011 have been posted somewhere on DCP already .... the brown velour/paisley "flap" have been replaced by black velour and some sort of black patterned fabric for the "flap" .... black gloves.

... drums have flames on them and on the bass heads.

The pit and the guard all have the same look.

yeah...so...anyway...

<returning to topic>

I think it's very possible that Crown's "cheese-fest" will be extremely competitive with the rest of the field this season.

I'm sorry, but this most definitely IS on topic. If you disagree with the direction of the conversation, that's your prerogative.

Edit: I apologize for that tone. I didn't mean it to come off so brusquely. I'm sorry.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 1

I'm going to attempt to be as diplomatic here as possible, so I apologize ahead of time if I veer off that path at some point.

First of all, I'd respectfully request that you (or anyone else, for that matter) kindly tell me how and why posting a pre-season recording is NOT in support of our activity. Does your assertion also apply to the hundreds, if not thousands of "parking lot" videos that spring up over the course of a drum corps season? Would you prefer that fans refrain from using their iPhones during a horn arc before a competition?

Additionally, do you view Crown's position on this issue is comparable to, say, a professional musical act who prosecutes and/or sues individuals who post albums on bit torrent sites?

Keep in mind that I'm talking about legality, NOT morality. If you find this practice offensive because you're not inclined to want to reveal aspects of your show before you put it on the field to be judged, then I'm sorry to say I think you're a bit out of line. However, if it can be legally established that Crown has a right to the same copyright protections as Metallica or the producers of The Hurt Locker, or is going to suffer harm from having material posted on the internet, then by all means, I will back your play 100%.

With all due respect, Eric, please don't be that guy. Plenty of us here have every bit as much, if not more experience in this activity than you, not to mention the indisputable fact that in this age of increasingly sophisticated technology, not even the courts have been able to completely keep up with the ramifications of said progress.

And the last thing I think you really want to do is threaten your fan base. The above statement just seems petulant and elitist. Drum corps has always been about the kids first, and the fans second. It's a highly symbiotic relationship, so statements like that do nothing but exacerbate an already confusing situation. You need fans willing to shell out money to go to shows and buy DVD's, CD's and souvies. If you truly believe that some kid, who more than likely truly loves Crown, is somehow hurting your corps, then I guess all I'm asking is for you to tell me how.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! AND THANK YOU AGAIN! DCI IS AN ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS AND AT SOME LEVEL NEEDS TO ACT LIKE ONE (I.E., PUT OUT VIDEOS OF YOUR MEMBERS, STAFF, AND PRODUCT SO PEOPLE WILL BECOME EXCITED, BECOME INVOLVED, PAY TO SEE IT, AND PURCHASE DVD AND OTHER PRODUCTS).

Edited by Corbin

The unis for 2011 have been posted somewhere on DCP already .... the brown velour/paisley "flap" have been replaced by black velour and some sort of black patterned fabric for the "flap" .... black gloves.

... drums have flames on them and on the bass heads.

The pit and the guard all have the same look.

yep -- seen them all (you're replying to a post that 2 months old :colgate:)

• Like 1

I am willing to entertain the idea that Eric has a legitimate reason to be mad about the leaked video--but why is he complaining about it on DCP? Why isn't he just contacting YouTube to have it taken down?

Because most if not all of the corps representatives come here in one form or another, despite their stated feelings about DCP, personally, professionally or otherwise.

I am willing to entertain the idea that Eric has a legitimate reason to be mad about the leaked video--but why is he complaining about it on DCP? Why isn't he just contacting YouTube to have it taken down?

It's possible he's doing both. He can state his feelings on here about this on DCP and request that it be taken down. Frankly, I don't see why people are upset that he's saying he doesn't want people making judgements about a pre-season private recording and not seeing it live, seeing as how it makes no sense to judge a drum corps show without seeing it live.

Edited by WOOHOO