Judging the "Tour Of Champions" Shows?

I'm already planning one trip (maybe two) to one of the TOC events. I'm interested to see what it's all about. How it's judged won't matter change on if I go (this first time), but it might in the future. Regardless, I'm excited to see what will all happen. I kinda like the idea of texting to see who the fan favorite, not sure if I'd want that to be part of the overall score though.

I'd be just as interested to know if there is going to be a mechanism in place to accurately count (and announce) what the attendance is at these shows. Of course, given the track record, I won't hold my breath on either an accurate count or it being announced.

I think 10 % of score could be texts. If you read the whole 66 page slide show it kinda gives you a hint on how they want it to be judged. Guess your gonna have to finally read it. Its kinda funny. :mat:

Yes, I read it a while ago.

I just wondered if this judging issue had been finalized in some way?

I too would most likely go to perhaps one of these TOC shows, especially if there were a corps or two that I wanted to see, due to their not being in a show I'd already seen.

Since I see 12-15 shows a year, I'm a fan of the competition. So that part is meaningful to me, the valid scores.

If they decided to water it down and make it more of an exhibition-type thing, I wouldn't be inspired to continue going to them.

AJMHO

Does anyone have any information about how they plan to judge these "special" shows?

Thanks!

The original G-7 proposal called for the G-7 Corps to hand pick their own judges for their group slotting shows. Naturally, this would have created a lopsided advantage to these Corps.

For example, say you are a DCI judge. You have a chance to judge a DCI show wth the " Top Acts " ( as the G-7 called themselves.. their term, not how I 'd describe them ) in these "special shows " where you get to smooze with the major college band directors, equipment Mfg, etc, before and after shows... or be sent to Podunk City to stay at the Holiday Inn Express before going out to to judge the other great unwashed World Class Division Corps at a High School field. What judge wouldn't want to be a part of the " Special Shows ", instead of being sent out to the High School field boondocks to judge the non " Top Acts " show competition ?

Edited by BRASSO

doesn't Simon Cowell leaving American Idol give you all a big clue to the new format?

"Love the high waistbands darling".

Applause-O-Meter will be the deciding factor. Though with the altitude differences in west in might contribute to west coast inflation.

Judging across the board will be interesting this year... now more than ever.

Say you are a DCI judge and you have before you 2 Corps that in your caption you believe were extremely close in their performance this night. One Corps is a G-8 Corps. The other is not a G-8 Corps. You have to decide your caption placement and score between these 2 Corps. Now... you understand that the G-8 Corps are part of the current and future arrangement that will be be hand picking their judges for future " Special Shows ".. at better venues, before hoi poloi college band directors, uniform and instrument MFg., the movers and shakers out there. . So,.... knowing that one of these 2 Corps might be upset with your score and placement this nite... be honest here.... who do you give the better score and placement to ? ( I know, I know, it's an obvious answer. But I needed to ask it anyway, since the judging system is about to be severely tested now by this new group slotting system set up within the World Class Division.)

Edited by BRASSO

This thread displays the regrettable short term memory some folks have in the drum corps community. This isn't about enjoying a new show format. This is about validating a mutiny of drum corps by self-important directors, and I will never believe their rhetoric concerning "it's all about the kids, their growth in the arts, and music education" again. Why? These directors' actions have devalued the accomplishments of every person that is not a member of a G7 corps. By supporting these shows, you confirm these directors' conclusions about the worth of their overbloated product and their particular brand of politics. Don't support it.

Edited by wallace

This thread displays the regrettable short term memory some folks have in the drum corps community. This isn't about enjoying a new show format. This is about validating a mutiny of drum corps by self-important directors, and I will never believe their rhetoric concerning "it's all about the kids, their growth in the arts, and music education" again. Why? These directors' actions have devalued the accomplishments of every person that is not a member of a G7 corps. By supporting these shows, you confirm these directors' conclusions about the worth of their overbloated product and their particular brand of politics. Don't support it.

Failed proposal = mutiny? Newsflash: the proposal was not passed. The DCI membership apparently did however find some value in giving the new show format a trial. This idea that somehow a series of shows with 8 of last years finalists is somehow a *bad* thing is absurd. It's just like saying:

I think DCI Finals should include all DCI drum corps. By supporting just the top 12 , it confirms that DCI considers non-finalists corps inferior to finalists. Attending Finals is just reinforcing the idea that the corps which score higher are in some way better than the corps who do not. Don't support this unfair and prejudicial policy.

Sound silly? Um...yes....yes it does.

"Remember, fear is our best weapon. "

- Capt. Bligh

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1