What makes High School band so lame

People always seem to write about how bad and lame bands are and it makes me wonder why.

When I was in band we didn't get picked on like a geek. We were well respected in the school on the circuit. As a matter of fact the only time something happened was when several members of my corps were picked on by locals. My band practiced 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. An hour class and 4 hour practice after school from August until the end of November. We did comps sometimes twice a weekend. Never finished lower then 3rd in TOB.

While I understand TOB isn't close to DCI but since a vast majority of us come from bands why the general dislike. There are many bands out there that are on par with corps. Is it simply the fact that they have woodwinds? That they don't tour? What is it?

People always seem to write about how bad and lame bands are and it makes me wonder why.

When I was in band we didn't get picked on like a geek. We were well respected in the school on the circuit. As a matter of fact the only time something happened was when several members of my corps were picked on by locals. My band practiced 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. An hour class and 4 hour practice after school from August until the end of November. We did comps sometimes twice a weekend. Never finished lower then 3rd in TOB.

While I understand TOB isn't close to DCI but since a vast majority of us come from bands why the general dislike. There are many bands out there that are on par with corps. Is it simply the fact that they have woodwinds? That they don't tour? What is it?

I feel like the biggest issue is the reason behind joining a band. Some do it for the social aspect, some for a credit requirement, some because they think it'll be an easy class, and others because they love music. Because a lot of people join high school band for reasons other than an opportunity to play music and march on a field, they don't approach the activity the same as those who do. IMO this is why you have the people that don't put in the full 100% effort.

I would hazard a guess that most people join drum corps nowadays because they want to be the best at something or push themselves harder than with their high school or college band. They like performing, they like marching, they like music. These kids want to do it at a very high level. Add that to the rehearsal schedule in the spring training/tour and you get the product we know and love.

There's nothing "lame" about marching band to those who know what's up. The hard work, the sweat, etc. But it's a bit difficult to explain how staying after school for 3 hours every night and all day on Saturday only to perform at half-time or the local competitions is not "lame." Now, there are exceptions to every rule. Generally, the hardcore marching bands get a lot of respect from the general public. I came from a town extremely proud of its band and we were never treated as "nerds" or "geeks" by the general student population because, well, it was the band and varsity sports that got exemptions from gym in the fall. However, that's not the popular perception of marching band.

There's nothing "lame" about drum corps because when you tell someone you practiced for 10 hours a day, got on a bus, drove through the night, slept on a gym floor, practiced for 5 hours, and performed a show at an NFL stadium for thousands of paying fans, the average person can't deny the ridiculous physicality of the activity.

Luckily, marching percussion has become "cool" and widely respected.

It's not lame. We were well respected in our school.

This is, however, a drum and bugle corps board. So I would gather that some people look down on MB because it's not corps.

I feel that both have their places and I want them to be distinct.

There's nothing "lame" about marching band to those who know what's up. The hard work, the sweat, etc. But it's a bit difficult to explain how staying after school for 3 hours every night and all day on Saturday only to perform at half-time or the local competitions is not "lame." Now, there are exceptions to every rule. Generally, the hardcore marching bands get a lot of respect from the general public. I came from a town extremely proud of its band and we were never treated as "nerds" or "geeks" by the general student population because, well, it was the band and varsity sports that got exemptions from gym in the fall. However, that's not the popular perception of marching band.

There's nothing "lame" about drum corps because when you tell someone you practiced for 10 hours a day, got on a bus, drove through the night, slept on a gym floor, practiced for 5 hours, and performed a show at an NFL stadium for thousands of paying fans, the average person can't deny the ridiculous physicality of the activity.

Luckily, marching percussion has become "cool" and widely respected.

I completely agree, but I think this misses the point the OP was trying to make.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which, contrary to public opinion, DOES happen :tongue: ) but I think the OP was wondering about why marching bands get such a bad rep here on DCP.

Now the cynic in me says "well, we all badmouth our own activity so what's to stop us from going off on others as well", but I think the problem arises when outsiders come here and read. I was working with a high school band and the director was talking about how his students would come here to read about drum coprs, and were wondering why the drum corps people hated high school marching bands?

We, as a community, need to stop takling about how much better drum corps are than BOA, and stop badmouthing BOA. I completely understand it, and I am guilty of it at times as well, but we need to keep in mind that this is where our recruiting comes from: high schools. Almost every single member of a drum corps marched in a high school band in some way, and for our largest member base to be thinking that we don't like them and don't want them will ruin the activity faster than any "G" proposal, be it 7,8,or 9.

Just my .02- take it for what it's worth to you :thumbup:

I don't think band is lame. And I'm sure very few DC fans, if any, think marching band is lame. But lets face it, Marching band has a stereotype. Granted it has seen some improvement over the years, especially in the more competitive schools, but across the country it's looked down upon. This perception will never change until the perception of the arts being an "expendable" part of an education changes.

We all may have our individual stories of the band getting some respect, but these are exceptions to the norm.

right.

Ever been to BOA Grand Nationals? There are some bands putting much better products on the field then some of the lower tier world class corps and I'd even say top 12...

I could have cared less what anyone thought of me or my band. I drum because I love to drum.

If you play because you want some sort of validation from your classmates then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Do it because you love it.

Edited by wallace

Drum corps gives members an experience that teaches discipline, responsibility, pride, honor and many other traits that help make them into better humans.

Marching band gives members an experience that teaches discipline, responsibility, pride, honor and many other traits that help make them into better humans.

It's all good.