What makes High School band so lame

I think the programming at Grand Nationals far surpasses the depth and level programming in the Top 12 without a doubt. The excellence and achievement doesn't come close, though, I would agree. That's a natural by-product of the time/logistics/talent differences between band and drum corps though. Staff remains consistent and I believe that there are marching bands executing, especially visually, more difficult books than much of the top 12 today.

I agree with the fact that many top BOA bands are designing programs that are superior than DCI corps, but the only BOA band I have ever seen with visual demand even close to top DCI corps is Tarpon Springs... no other top 12 BOA band this year did at all

Seeing corps and performing with them and then going back to watching bands...just isnt fun. I guess I am expecting higher quality and am disappointed when they are not as good. Also I dont need to see a watered down DCI show.

I think the programming at Grand Nationals far surpasses the depth and level programming in the Top 12 without a doubt. The excellence and achievement doesn't come close, though, I would agree. That's a natural by-product of the time/logistics/talent differences between band and drum corps though. Staff remains consistent and I believe that there are marching bands executing, especially visually, more difficult books than much of the top 12 today.

Sorry man. I'm going to have to disagree. In terms of programing: Bands are designing a lot more intricate shows these days, but they don't even come close to top 12 drum corps. They're getting closer, but you can't expect much younger students to put the character into a show the way a finalist corps does, and you sure as hell can't expect an entire band to be able to pull off many of the visual moments that are designed to make the show go smoothly.

In terms of demand and execution: In-shape drum corps members who love being in their corps vs. a band of teens of all shapes and sizes, of all skill levels, and of varying desire levels. Corps marching 300+ sets at tempos exceeding 200bpm while playing intricate music at intense volumes vs bands marching MAYBE 150ish sets at safe tempos and at safe dynamic levels. BOA rewards bands for playing safe and soft with nice technical bassoon solos from the pit. Even with BOA grad nat champions I've consistently seen marching issues that wouldn't cut it in semis and heard musical issues that aren't subtle.

I'm not trying to take away from what Marching Bands are turning into. They get better and better with the most amazing thing being the age and diversity you see in bands as opposed to corps. Telling a 15 year old kid who has never performed a solo in front of so many people to play in front of a LOS sized crowd is awesome. But man, comparing Band to Corps is like comparing College football to Pro. College might be awesome, but put them against a pro team and it's just not gonna happen.

Ever been to BOA Grand Nationals? There are some bands putting much better products on the field then some of the lower tier world class corps and I'd even say top 12...

from a design standpoint, I MIGHT agree... from an execution and difficulty standpoint, I believe you are 100% wrong. BOA bands look like they are going in slow motion compared to drum corps. The difficulty level is turned way down.

Edited by soccerguy315

Though a lot of what happened in my high school band was more intense, in some way or another, than what happened while I marched drum corps, I can't lie in saying I feel justified in my nerdiness while explaining to someone exactly what drum corps is and how it isn't "just marching band." I'll admit it - when you explain it, drum corps just sounds way more awesome! I know that my marching band experience was pretty intense in high school and a lot of fun in college. But when I talk about when I used to play an instrument, I talk about drum corps - not marching band. No love lost for marching band, though. While it might not be as fulfilling for me as a spectator or participant (having participated at the epitome of marching music), I still enjoy it immensely!

Seeing corps and performing with them and then going back to watching bands...just isnt fun. I guess I am expecting higher quality and am disappointed when they are not as good. Also I dont need to see a watered down DCI show.

Well, since you're from Ohio... You don't exactly get to see the same types of shows. OMEA works differently than BOA and the style of shows there doesn't always fit even what other major MB circuits are doing.

I'm not saying that it's typical, but I've known Drum Corps kids who marched HS band just for an academic credit.