What makes High School band so lame

People always seem to write about how bad and lame bands are and it makes me wonder why.

When I was in band we didn't get picked on like a geek. We were well respected in the school on the circuit. As a matter of fact the only time something happened was when several members of my corps were picked on by locals. My band practiced 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. An hour class and 4 hour practice after school from August until the end of November. We did comps sometimes twice a weekend. Never finished lower then 3rd in TOB.

While I understand TOB isn't close to DCI but since a vast majority of us come from bands why the general dislike. There are many bands out there that are on par with corps. Is it simply the fact that they have woodwinds? That they don't tour? What is it?

LOL! I read the title of this thread and my Troll radar went off the charts! lol. But I read your post and would have to agree... Marching bands are not lame.

What I learned from a similar agrugments in the past on DCP its that people don't hate on "band" they hate the fact that drum corps could be turning into band. So, that comes off as them hating band when in reality they really like band, and they really like drum corps. They just don't want to have to choose between the two...

Its funny. I remember someone said that they loved Tarpon Springs show and it was the best (highschool show I think he said) that he had ever seen and that he was very against the use of electronics. (FYI Tarpon Springs used A LOT of electronics). So, that shows that people can accept woodwinds and electronics in amps in an activity that they feel they don't have a stake in (BOA/ Marching BAnd) but if those things come to play in an actvity that they have had a stake in (drum corps/ DCI) they get very defensive. So, its a fine line between "disliking" marching band as threat to drum corps and disliking marching band all together...

my opinion is that I'm not at all threatened by Marching Band, and would not mind if "marching band" asthetics (like woodwinds and show designs) were also apart of drum corps. Its all just marching music to me, but I understand if I'm clearly in the minority on this. BTW its not like I'm pushing for woodwinds or anything. I'm just for natural progression, whatever that may be...

Edited by charlie1223

People always seem to write about how bad and lame bands are and it makes me wonder why.

When I was in band we didn't get picked on like a geek. We were well respected in the school on the circuit. As a matter of fact the only time something happened was when several members of my corps were picked on by locals. My band practiced 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. An hour class and 4 hour practice after school from August until the end of November. We did comps sometimes twice a weekend. Never finished lower then 3rd in TOB.

While I understand TOB isn't close to DCI but since a vast majority of us come from bands why the general dislike. There are many bands out there that are on par with corps. Is it simply the fact that they have woodwinds? That they don't tour? What is it?

I asked myself the same thing when I was in High School when I was marching corps. I've concluded that people here in DCP don't know any better. If they did know better, they would know that marching band plays a HUGE role in the success of Drum Corps.

I asked myself the same thing when I was in High School when I was marching corps. I've concluded that people here in DCP don't know any better. If they did know better, they would know that marching band plays a HUGE role in the success of Drum Corps.

And it has for years and years. Anyone who thinks Drum Corps would be what it is without the existence of marching band is foolish.

• Like 1

Ever been to BOA Grand Nationals? There are some bands putting much better products on the field then some of the lower tier world class corps and I'd even say top 12...

I have and no, not anywhere close to top 12.

They clean what they have and do it very well, but they don't touch the level of finalist corps. Maybe most finalist OC corps, but even then not all of them.

Drum corps gives members an experience that teaches discipline, responsibility, pride, honor and many other traits that help make them into better humans.

Marching band gives members an experience that teaches discipline, responsibility, pride, honor and many other traits that help make them into better humans.

These activites also teach how to cope with groundless stereotypes held by a few ignorant people.

I have and no, not anywhere close to top 12.

They clean what they have and do it very well, but they don't touch the level of finalist corps. Maybe most finalist OC corps, but even then not all of them.

I think the programming at Grand Nationals far surpasses the depth and level programming in the Top 12 without a doubt. The excellence and achievement doesn't come close, though, I would agree. That's a natural by-product of the time/logistics/talent differences between band and drum corps though. Staff remains consistent and I believe that there are marching bands executing, especially visually, more difficult books than much of the top 12 today.

Respected? Not us. We were called "BQs." You can imagine what the the "q" stands for, and it was just as offensive a slur then as it is now.

I think the programming at Grand Nationals far surpasses the depth and level programming in the Top 12 without a doubt. The excellence and achievement doesn't come close, though, I would agree. That's a natural by-product of the time/logistics/talent differences between band and drum corps though. Staff remains consistent and I believe that there are marching bands executing, especially visually, more difficult books than much of the top 12 today.

Another thing the youngin's don't understand. CONSISTENCY. There's no mistake in BD's (and Cavies) success. Bluecoats and Crown and slowly starting to figure it out.

Another thing the youngin's don't understand. CONSISTENCY. There's no mistake in BD's (and Cavies) success. Bluecoats and Crown and slowly starting to figure it out.

...my post doesn't have anything to do with that. Of course there is no mistake in their consistency and its results. I understand that perfectly fine. However, it has nothing to do with anything I stated in my post.