Grab a bowl, It's time to dish: 2k11 Style

PrfctTimeOfDay

I too was at the Southeastern Championships and thought many shows have shown tremendous growth. Congrats to all of the teams as they prepare for the big dance in two weeks.

It never ceases to amaze me when people criticize the creative choices of others. I have to assume these people are all successful designers of long term nationally competitive units or perhaps judges on SYTYCD....or maybe even a successful choreographer in a major broadway musical. We all have our preferences, but the lack of respect for some of the most discussed guards on this forum is disturbing.

Ever go to Drum Corps Planet?...lol...they discuss everything as if they ruled the corps and designers and had the answers to the worlds problems...lol..with that said I think the other poster may have been just pointing out a lack of diversity within our activity. Personally I wouldn't want to 15 of any one style. You do have to admit , when attending a large show such as a regional you can close your eyes and hear the same thing over and over. it's that perverbial formula for WGI success thats clones guards one after the other. Unfortunately the judging community is largely at fault I think. ( but that, another topic)

Also in our activity we have had some successful in ( the real world ) but as I'm sure you know many are more self appointed, dancers, critics, costume designers, even educators. Oh well :smile:

Well, good luck to all and I would just say to the spectator the best of the best don't always win medals or sometimes don't even make finals. See as much as you can, you might be surprised. :thumbup:

Wishing there would be a guard director in Scholastic World or Independant World in which they would have the courage to bring back an "Old School" show back from the mid '80's...precision drill, huge tosses and exchanges, etc..., examples: Skylarks, Cavs, Miller's Blackhawks, State Street...I think that would be so great...at least for the kids marching and the fans, ...judges- "Probably NOT"

• Like 1

Wishing there would be a guard director in Scholastic World or Independant World in which they would have the courage to bring back an "Old School" show back from the mid '80's...precision drill, huge tosses and exchanges, etc..., examples: Skylarks, Cavs, Miller's Blackhawks, State Street...I think that would be so great...at least for the kids marching and the fans, ...judges- "Probably NOT"

I would have to present Avon World on this comment.... i think their show is very retro in an updated way. The tarp, the costumes, the equipment work.... we can't go all the way back but I think they are fun and really fresh. It's entertaining and ya don't have to think about it. Just sit back and enjoy!

GOOD LUCk AVON!

• Like 2

I would have to present Avon World on this comment.... i think their show is very retro in an updated way. The tarp, the costumes, the equipment work.... we can't go all the way back but I think they are fun and really fresh. It's entertaining and ya don't have to think about it. Just sit back and enjoy!

GOOD LUCk AVON!

When I watch their show I cant get Austin Powers outta my head

• Like 1

When I watch their show I cant get Austin Powers outta my head

right... and old school.. the circle exchange, the rifle flag interaction (tricks), the flag exchange.... it's old school 2011

• Like 1

First dish of the WGI week! Overheard on a plane, a stranger/passenger wished a guard from Florida good luck as they exited the plane, to which their directer said to the person 'it's not about luck' :doh:

Sometimes I wonder if people really have a brain in their head. A simple response of 'Thank You' to the stranger/passenger probably would have been the proper response. :huh:

First dish of the WGI week! Overheard on a plane, a stranger/passenger wished a guard from Florida good luck as they exited the plane, to which their directer said to the person 'it's not about luck' :doh:

Sometimes I wonder if people really have a brain in their head. A simple response of 'Thank You' to the stranger/passenger probably would have been the proper response. :huh:

You've got to be kidding.... good grief

the ego is such a............ (can't say it on here)

You've got to be kidding.... good grief

the ego is such a............ (can't say it on here)

That post makes me think of how bad it bothers me when the announcer says " is the guard ready " and people in the audience say "they're always ready" OHHHHH that bugs the crap out of me! :thumbdown: