Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

Vets for most corps including the Cadets get the Registration fee waived completely.

thank you.

smart move by the cadets imo.

on a side note of sorts, does anybody know of anybody who got CUT from a low ranking corps audition and then was able to make it at a top 5 corps in the same year?

Crazy. Quite the read, but crazy. Lots of defending going on in this thread if you really look at it all. It kinda sucks if you do a good thing, and you are always having to defend-everything. Even if its for the good, that would get old. Oh, it already is. I have to admit the first time I read it I was leary about the intent of the whole thing, not because of what was happening but who was doing it. Thats just were I am at with anything with this Corps. And it sucks, cause I really like what the kids do on the field, its the rest of the bagage that gets me. Oh well, good luck to the MM.

see my issue was more with the what than the who. See, I'm too busy being called a BD hater to be a Cadets hater too :lol:

As the great Taki-Tsu-Hiko once said, marketing is everything!

yeah but I said it here. I want my two dollars!

Do you really think it would hurt their recruitment? Even if they only bring in one or two more people to auditions, and even if those people only marched at a different Open Class group the year it would be worth the offer.

Think smaller.

so if it's a World Class corps, it's ok?

I have just one question, because in a lot of ways I do agree with you but...

what if said kids have not been cut yet?

many are assuming this is aimed at cuts and only cuts. it's aimed at auditonees, not cuts

Can't believe I continue to read/respond, but I just want to throw this out there and make sure I get what the confusion is:

* we all agree that people who, for whatever reason, don't march their first choice of corps should seek out other corps as options to march: it will give a kid a good experience and will help prepare them for their corps of choice (or maybe they'll fall in love with the other corps and stick around).

* we all agree that corps should do more to either guide members to other corps (if they're cut: for example if a student gets cut from Crown, perhaps it would be awesome for Crown's admin to direct the cut student to a corps in close proximity that would benefit the student), or reach out to members (kind of a "hey, if you got cut/auditioned somewhere else and didn't like it, come check us out instead").

* Cadets have reached out to people who have auditioned elsewhere and are giving a discount for people who have auditioned elsewhere: essentially doing something many around here have been criticizing the activity in general for NOT doing.

* people are reading into this promotion in ways that are either ludicrous (Cadets trying to steal members away from other organizations) or just confusing (Cadets don't explicitly state, "if you were cut somewhere else or didn't like your first corps" even though, really, wouldn't that be a bit rude/presumptuous on Cadets' part to state that in a recruitment promotion?!)

so if it's a World Class corps, it's ok?

I'm not sure I understand your question. I initially said that I think this is a good idea and that it would be wise of Open Class corps to copy it. So yes, it is fine for either Open Class or World Class corps to utilize such a discount.

DCP really needs to update their forums to show quote trees. It would make conservations like this less confusing.

I have just one question, because in a lot of ways I do agree with you but...

what if said kids have not been cut yet?

many are assuming this is aimed at cuts and only cuts. it's aimed at auditonees, not cuts

I don't think it matters that much; a kid is not going to march somewhere they don't like regardless of whether or not it's Bandettes or Blue Devils. I don't have any problems with Cadets extending an offer for people to check out what they have to offer. Some kids might try it out and think Cadets aren't for them and maybe go back to where they originally auditioned. Some might try out and realize Cadets were nothing like their preconceived expectation, love it, and march.

People tend to have a myopic look at people going from one corps to another: the knee-jerk reaction is to think that a large corps is "stealing" kids away from a lower corps. And while that might sometimes be the case, the reality is that some corps have things to offer members that other corps do not, and if someone leaves corps X to go to corps Y it's usually because corps Y isn't giving them exactly what they want and they believe Corps X will: not because corps X "stole" them away.

** FWIW I'm not saying, Jeff, that you are being short sighted and saying Cadets are trying to steal people away from other corps. I'm just throwing it out there that many DO hold that opinion (and for a long time when I was younger/more jaded I did as well)

And FWIW I have heard of plenty of people who went from a Top 6/3/1 corps to a lower-placing/competing corps because they liked it better.

Edited by perc2100

I don't think it matters that much; a kid is not going to march somewhere they don't like regardless of whether or not it's Bandettes or Blue Devils. I don't have any problems with Cadets extending an offer for people to check out what they have to offer. Some kids might try it out and think Cadets aren't for them and maybe go back to where they originally auditioned. Some might try out and realize Cadets were nothing like their preconceived expectation, love it, and march.

People tend to have a myopic look at people going from one corps to another: the knee-jerk reaction is to think that a large corps is "stealing" kids away from a lower corps. And while that might sometimes be the case, the reality is that some corps have things to offer members that other corps do not, and if someone leaves corps X to go to corps Y it's usually because corps Y isn't giving them exactly what they want and they believe Corps X will: not because corps X "stole" them away.

** FWIW I'm not saying, Jeff, that you are being short sighted and saying Cadets are trying to steal people away from other corps. I'm just throwing it out there that many DO hold that opinion (and for a long time when I was younger/more jaded I did as well)

And FWIW I have heard of plenty of people who went from a Top 6/3/1 corps to a lower-placing/competing corps because they liked it better.

oh I know you weren't throwing any sticks and stones my way. But let's face it, perception is reality, and far too many people saw this thread and asked me how people could be ok with what is viewed as "stealing" like this.

I tried to explain it your way and some other ways I have seen here, but, and again, part of it is how the message was delivered by a messenger with not the best pr reputation, and as such, it has people in a tizzy.

I do believe with some other names, it would be given a pass, but I also bet 10-1 their marketing of it would come across far better

Do I agree with the notion that woodwinds should be added to the field? Absolutely not. Did I agree with the addition of the synth in the pit? Absolutely not - most corps have used it to fake the sound of a full brass line. In the end - what the heck does any of this have to do with a $25 discount on an audition fee? Let the record show that there was an even bigger incentive to come audition at the cadets last year, when they offered a free 75 year history book to any person that was not successful at their audition with corps number 1 or did not enjoy their experience at corps number 1. In my experience, I have certainly taken auditions for places that I realized I did not want to be a part of, both in and outside drum corps, and it is a smart business move by the cadets to try and offer these people a chance to come and audition.

Also - the statement that the cadets should have published an article indicating that the incentive was offered to kids CUT from other corps is absolutely ridiculous. Drum corps world reporter or not, that is just plain tacky and would create a 36 page discussion about how the cadets are insensitive to those auditioning on top of the fact that they are stealing members, trying to bring other drum corps down, secretly plotting to start a MBI circuit, and everything else you all can come up with that is the direct fault of the cadets. Give it a rest - it is $25 frickin dollars. There really is no debate on whether this is the greatest thing the cadets have done since Rocky Point, or if this is the worst thing since introducing vocals, because it is $25!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again - just my $.02 but also remember, I am the expert.

• Like 1

Do I agree with the notion that woodwinds should be added to the field? Absolutely not. Did I agree with the addition of the synth in the pit? Absolutely not - most corps have used it to fake the sound of a full brass line. In the end - what the heck does any of this have to do with a $25 discount on an audition fee? Let the record show that there was an even bigger incentive to come audition at the cadets last year, when they offered a free 75 year history book to any person that was not successful at their audition with corps number 1 or did not enjoy their experience at corps number 1. In my experience, I have certainly taken auditions for places that I realized I did not want to be a part of, both in and outside drum corps, and it is a smart business move by the cadets to try and offer these people a chance to come and audition.

Also - the statement that the cadets should have published an article indicating that the incentive was offered to kids CUT from other corps is absolutely ridiculous. Drum corps world reporter or not, that is just plain tacky and would create a 36 page discussion about how the cadets are insensitive to those auditioning on top of the fact that they are stealing members, trying to bring other drum corps down, secretly plotting to start a MBI circuit, and everything else you all can come up with that is the direct fault of the cadets. Give it a rest - it is $25 frickin dollars. There really is no debate on whether this is the greatest thing the cadets have done since Rocky Point, or if this is the worst thing since introducing vocals, because it is $25!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again - just my $.02 but also remember, I am the expert.

So far in your many posts sarcasm.gif I have only seen gratuitous conceit, a self-inflated ego and, based on your sig, a mighty high opinion of yourself.

You may be an expert in your own little world but, in here, you're just another semi-qualified opinion.

All in my expert opinion, of course.

• Like 1