Cavaliers vs. Blucoats 2010 Color Guard

like some corps scoring a perfect 20 even after having drops

Stop calling it "perfect." It is, by definition, a "ceiling" 20. It only meant that BD was AT LEAST 0.3 better than Cavies on that night. If Cavies had received a 19.6 and BD a 19.9, there would be much less discussion. If there is an issue with BD receiving a 20 with those drops (recovery is on the sheets), then there should be issue with Cavies receiving a 19.7.

Funny...no one is doubting BD deserving the color guard trophy. When Cavies got a 20 in 2002, that guard wasn't even the best that night! But I guess it's ok when it's the Cavaliers.

Some judges who shall remain nameless never EVER give straight 10's (to arrive at that dreaded 20). So, if one of those judges gave a 19.9, does that mean it's a perfect 19.9 if that's his ceiling?

If there is an issue with BD receiving a 20 with those drops (recovery is on the sheets), then there should be issue with Cavies receiving a 19.7.

So is the Triad. Body / Equipment / Form?

Sorry to say that IMHO (as wonderfully as they perform -- and they do sell their show at a spectacular level -- BD's guard book was not in the same class as Cavies (or Crown for that matter) ). Nor was it performed quite as cleanly as those two guards. Watch the hi-cam -- it doesn't lie. Watch the simultaneous demands placed on the performer Out of those 3 guards -- two spin while moving and one does not. Two have box 5 exposure in the weapon book -- one does not. Two are consistently extremely clean in their ensemble work -- one is not (forget drops -- count sails! indoor -- no wind -- sails? ).

Cavies should have won that caption -- Crown a close a 2nd -- BD back a bit -- and Bluecoats (who were the best I've seen their guard) sorry to say not in the same conversation. Yes they were relatively clean but no they didn't have the book to be top 3. Unfortunately the earlier comment about the guard caption judging is dead on. 5-4-3-2-1 placed right in that order.

I have great respect for the Perc judges this season who had the cojones to call what's on the field in front of them even if it's out-of-sync with show placement..

weebl.gif

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Very interesting. Of course I have no insight into its truth. Anyone else have thoughts? Any other captions similarly guided?

HH

the theory most floated is guard and drums use spreads, brass and music stay tight because they dont want yelled at, and visual can flip flop.

I've seen recaps where it looks to be true and not.

Sorry to say that IMHO (as wonderfully as they perform -- and they do sell their show at a spectacular level -- BD's guard book was not in the same class as Cavies (or Crown for that matter) ). Nor was it performed quite as cleanly as those two guards. Watch the hi-cam -- it doesn't lie. Watch the simultaneous demands placed on the performer Out of those 3 guards -- two spin while moving and one does not. Two have box 5 exposure in the weapon book -- one does not. Two are consistently extremely clean in their ensemble work -- one is not (forget drops -- count sails! indoor -- no wind -- sails? ).

Cavies should have won that caption -- Crown a close a 2nd -- BD back a bit -- and Bluecoats (who were the best I've seen their guard) sorry to say not in the same conversation. Yes they were relatively clean but no they didn't have the book to be top 3. Unfortunately the earlier comment about the guard caption judging is dead on. 5-4-3-2-1 placed right in that order.

I have great respect for the Perc judges this season who had the cojones to call what's on the field in front of them even if it's out-of-sync with show placement..

weebl.gif

funny, everywhere else drummers get blasted for it :tongue:

Cavies because of composition were better.. However I absolutely loved the staging of Bluecoats guard.. I think they were staged better than any other guard on the field

True. That is probably why the OP feels Bluecoats should have scored higher. Bluecoats guard was fun, energetic, and great at enhancing and selling theirprogram, but the difficulty and variety of the Cavaliers book, as well as the presentation, was indeed much, much better.

G

weebl.gif

Funny, I would have put Crown's guard lower than what they got.

This isn't even a question. Cavies guard is the best.

I actually thought the gap between the Cavaliers and Bluecoats in colorguard should have been a tad closer. I do think the Cavaliers had more difficult work that was not only better executed, but complimented their music better than the Bluecoats'. However, the Bluecoats were absolutely phenomenal and this was the best I've ever seen their guard. I don't think Carolina Crown was remotely close to the top 3 in colorguard. Personally, I think they should have been below the Cadets. The Blue Devils and Cavaliers were much stronger in weapon content, technique, and dance.

As the resident color guard expert...oh wait, woops!

Anyways, I still don't understand the perfect 20. I know it has been said that it shouldn't be called perfect, but getting a 20/20 or a 10/10 or a 5/5 or a 100/100 is perfection - it is 100%. Although this judging system claims to be based on rewarding for performance, judges have blatantly admitted they give specific scores because of ticks, indicating that mistakes should have the same impact for one corps that they do another. Not trying to stir up anything about 2002 Cavies and drops, but isn't it possible the trigger-happy quarter finals guard judge set the slotting precedent for the rest of the weekend?