Competitive impact of extra TOC show material.

The effect on competitive standing will be negligible , but it will be interesting to see just how much extra content there will be, what it will consist of, whether it will change over the course of the season, and how much time and effort will be put into it. The last question is particularly interesting since a number of these corps try to minimize the amount of time spent on non-show material by not participating in I&E and by phoning it in when they play encores, and the rationale that is typically given is that time spent on these things would be better spent perfecting the field show. I wonder how much they're willing to put in to extra material for the TOC shows?

I doubt anyone, including the corps themselves, knows the answer to these questions just yet.

Minimal impact, I'd wager. Even back in the '70s we'd learn an extra 2 or 3 songs outside our show.

If the extra content does impact competitive standings, then that's good news to me. I would love to see a lot more movement in placements anyway. (does anyone know what came of the supposed judging system review that was happening last summer and if changes are on the way?)

Not exactly sure of the OPs intent with the opening of this thread, but it also occurs to me that so many people want the top dogs out of the top spots. If the other corps work harder for those spots, I think positions will swap.

In reference to the OPs question, I say the answer is NO. Many of the top corps know how to adapt to situations where they have to learn new stuff on the go, and that will most likely NOT affect how they perform over the summer.

One thing the top corps do very well is manage time. If anything, the fact that each corps will have to manage its time better will only make more obvious the slight differences in competitive success.

Does anyone really believe that learning 2-3 more tunes is going to hurt BD one single iota? I don't. It might make them better, since their talented membership won't be as bored as they seem sometimes.

Now ask yourself that question for each corps from 2010 placements 2-8. As you get down the list, at some point, you start thinking "welllllll..."

And we know Madison's going to be in the top 8 in 2011-2012-(as long as current team is still in place).

So, who's going to be knocked out? ANS: The corps that didn't manage their time well. The TOC stuff will make it obvious.

I wonder....wll corps try to add drill for the extra stuff?

that's where I see issues popping up

I wonder....wll corps try to add drill for the extra stuff?

that's where I see issues popping up

I doubt it. The TOC-8 are deciding on the show format -- not DCI. So I would expect that they're not going to do anything that impacts them competitively (other than travel more).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Spending time on un-judged choreography and music at the beginning of shows did not hinder top corps the last few years. I would think that this new addition would not have any major impact on those same corps.

Edited by tdmooring