The Drum Corps Uniform

Having never marched I'm a little confused about one thing. The upside down shako? Is that a never ever do that thing or the to do thing. Not tryin to start heat just wondering

I've NEVER seen a corps observe that protocol.

I've noticed that when the performance becomes the dominating goal, it's less important that your shako never be carried upside down inside where no one can see you. The respect shown towards the uniforms was due in part to a respect for the corps and MOSTLY due to the fact that they were an expensive investment and we had the obligation to care for them.

The military notion of uniform protocol might be important to some; it's always been important to me. But the uniform is a band uniform that is worn for drum corps performances. The difference is the individuals IN the uniform.

Hmmm, I marched in a corps that was pretty focussed on the "performance as a dominating goal." That being said we were very serious about our behavior in uniform and how we treated our uniform (ie not only were the Shako's not carried upside down, they were only carried on the left forearm with three fingers on the brim, no matter who could see you).

Respect for the uniform wholly stemmed from the respect for all those who wore it before us. It was an honor and responsibility to wear it, so we all acted accordingly.

None of this meant that we weren't focussed on our performance. In fact, strapping in to our "Superman Suits," gave us a strength. It was a tangible sign of our history and identity. It was all part of our hype, as we prepared to perform.

Edited by CuriousMe

Hmmm, I marched in a corps that was pretty focussed on the "performance as a dominating goal." That being said we were very serious about our behavior in uniform and how we treated our uniform (ie not only were the Shako's not carried upside down, they were only carried on the left forearm with three fingers on the brim, no matter who could see you).

Respect for the uniform wholly stemmed from the respect for all those who wore it before us. It was an honor and responsibility to wear it, so we all acted accordingly.

None of this meant that we weren't focussed on our performance. In fact, strapping in to our "Superman Suits," gave us a strength. It was a tangible sign of our history and identity. It was all part of our hype, as we prepared to perform.

You marched a junior corps steeped in amazing tradition. Respect, my friend. Respect.

• Like 1

LOL, looked at your sig to see what corps you're talking about and :worthy:

Can kinda guess which corps as "shako" removes two of them from the posibles (think I remember St Ignatius unis). LOL, only one I didn't see live was the Cadet corps but saw Kingsmen at retreat at American Legion Nationals when they won in 78.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Also how the members are taught (via staff and peer pressure) how the uni should be treated.

I think this is the heart of the discussion. Without sounding too much like a preachy jerk, perhaps the OP instructor who recently completed their 30th year as a high school band visual designer/caption head (same school all those years?) should evaluate their methods of teaching the students to respect their uniform. I am in only my sixth year teaching HS band at the same school, and my students are VERY well versed in respect for their uniform. This is largely due to the Head Director, Marching Band Director, myself and the rest of the staff, as well as the student leadership and upperclassmen instilling pride and respect in their school uniform. If kids aren't taught respect/pride, they won't have it: it really is that simple.

This is obviously a fairly difficult process to start: you have to get the leadership to first buy into the concept, and then the upperclassmen. Once the older/respected students buy into it, the peer pressure works wonders keeping the younger students in line. I'm fortunate that the school I teach at has a fairly long and storied tradition of excellence, and the Marching Band Director has taught/marched at the highest level in DCI for decades and understands/reinforces/teachers the organizational pride to students every year. We talk about it on Day 1 of band camp (earlier to the percussionists who start earlier than the winds), and we reinforce that idea before our first football game (i.e. the first time they're in uniform for performance) and again before our first tournament. I 100% believe that because as a staff we take that issue seriously, the students learn to take it seriously.

Again, I don't mean to imply that the OP doesn't try to reinforce these ideals: heck, if the Band Director isn't on board you can't expect the students to believe in uniform & organization pride/etiquette. But if you, the Director, and the rest of the staff are trying to instill those ideals, perhaps it's time to try enough approach to appeal to the student leadership to help "enforce" uniform policy.

I've NEVER seen a corps observe that protocol.

Yeah, I don't remember ever seeing that either. On the flip side, I don't remember seeing corps members carrying shakos by the chain/upside down very often either: carrying the shako plume-up style just looks classier, and I think that more than any respect is why you don't see that often.

Of course, thinking about it now, I do recall seeing Top 12 corps (from when I marched, at least) carrying their shako or aussie by the chain/strap upside down going from point A-point B. Granted, this was done by individuals (and not the full corps or a full section), and usually done coming off/on the truck going to a warm-up or something. But it's pretty rare, I guess. When I marched I don't recall how to carry the shako as part of the uniform etiquette talk we got in the spring. It might've been covered, and I honestly don't remember ever carrying my shako upside down, or remember anyone else I marched with doing that (maybe it was an implied thing?). But I don't think I'd ever consider someone showing disrespect if they were carrying their shako upside down: other corps might teach otherwise, and I have no issues with different corps philosophies.

I agree with almost everything you said, with the exception of one major point. You're not talking about THE UNIFORM. You're talking about they drum corps members FEEL, THINK AND ACT in regard to the uniform.

The pile of fabric, buttons, thread and velcro is essentially the same, designed by the same designers and manufactured by the same companies. So, if you want to talk about the uniform, there's really no difference. If you want to talk about how members treat the uniform, there's a vast difference.

This nails it, IMO. Kind of like how if I knew what SUTA meant, I would think, "cool/interesting" and that's as far as it went. But what's important is what SUTA means to the membership in context to their corps and its history that really matters. A uniform only matters/has meaning if it's instilled in the membership the importance of the uniform: otherwise it really is only fabric and other fancy trinkets.

I think this is the heart of the discussion. Without sounding too much like a preachy jerk, perhaps the OP instructor who recently completed their 30th year as a high school band visual designer/caption head (same school all those years?) should evaluate their methods of teaching the students to respect their uniform. I am in only my sixth year teaching HS band at the same school, and my students are VERY well versed in respect for their uniform. This is largely due to the Head Director, Marching Band Director, myself and the rest of the staff, as well as the student leadership and upperclassmen instilling pride and respect in their school uniform. If kids aren't taught respect/pride, they won't have it: it really is that simple.

This is obviously a fairly difficult process to start: you have to get the leadership to first buy into the concept, and then the upperclassmen. Once the older/respected students buy into it, the peer pressure works wonders keeping the younger students in line. I'm fortunate that the school I teach at has a fairly long and storied tradition of excellence, and the Marching Band Director has taught/marched at the highest level in DCI for decades and understands/reinforces/teachers the organizational pride to students every year. We talk about it on Day 1 of band camp (earlier to the percussionists who start earlier than the winds), and we reinforce that idea before our first football game (i.e. the first time they're in uniform for performance) and again before our first tournament. I 100% believe that because as a staff we take that issue seriously, the students learn to take it seriously.

Again, I don't mean to imply that the OP doesn't try to reinforce these ideals: heck, if the Band Director isn't on board you can't expect the students to believe in uniform & organization pride/etiquette. But if you, the Director, and the rest of the staff are trying to instill those ideals, perhaps it's time to try enough approach to appeal to the student leadership to help "enforce" uniform policy.

Good reply. I should have been more clear about this. Since our band director, myself, and almost every member of our staff HAS in fact marched and/or taught drum corps, my complaints regarding "band kids" are with OTHER groups, not ours. We do not tolerate anything like this from our kids...ever.

As for the "upside down" shako comment, I was really focusing on kids carrying their headwear by the straps/chains etc and basically showing disrespect to the uniform. Some drum corps do, in fact, carry their shakos upside down while in transit to warmup, etc, because that is their tradition, which is fine. I'm not trying to micromanage anyone. The bigger picture is I just believe that in drum corps, your corps' tradition and history SHOULD BE honored by how you wear and treat your uniform, and that was the point I was making.

Edited by craiga

The biggest physical difference for me was band uniforms have always been heavier. I mean that could be because I live in the northeast. But both my high school and college uniforms were loads heavier than my corps uniform. Both my college and corps had the same mentality towards the uniform, respect. Both have a rich history, and both the band and corps like to uphold a high standard of its members.

Edited by BrassClef

The heart of the discussion (not what the OP may have actually meant, but what some people are taking it as) would be that, sorry gaiz, marching band and drum corps, at their basic root, are no different. I know, you disagree. I don't care. Show a picture of Drum Corps to 91% of the US population and ask them what it is and they'll say, "marching band." I bet that percentage goes up with a simple uniform.

• Like 1