The Drum Corps Uniform

I start this thread as a reaction to several comments on another thread (the best-looking corps thread) with regard to uniforms in drum corps vs marching band. I was surpised to hear some posters say that there is no difference bewteen drum corps uniforms and band uniforms, as they are made of the same materials and frequently are even similar if not exact copies of each other. (ie: "they're All BAND JACKETS, ETC")

I think this analysis completely misses the point. I just recently completed my 30th year as a high school band visual designer/caption head. During those years (including this past season), I have witnessed high school band kids doing the following while in uniform: running, skipping, eating, swearing, yelling, screaming, walking around with their jackets unzipped, holding their shakos by the straps, stealing each others plumes, sitting on the ground, throwing their jackets on the ground while changing, rolling their uniforms into a ball and throwing them on the floor of the bus, etc etc etc.....

Now, of course I cannot speak for all drum corps, but I can speak for the corps with whom I've been associated from 1979-2010. In this organization, the uniform is regarded with the upmost respect...actually, with a reverence usually only seen in church. Not only are ALL of the above behaviors not tolerated; there is actually a code of conduct centered around the uniform, its treatment, how it is to be worn, and what a member can and cannot do or say while in "full" uniform. Furthermore, it is not some old, out of touch staff memeber or alumnus who enforces these rules.....it is the membership who look upon this issue with deadly seriousness. Interesting how 18-21 year olds take this every bit as seriously in 2010 as they did in 1980...or 1970...or 1940.

The corps I am referring to is the Boston Crusaders. I noticed that the other poster who shared this same view of the uniform being revered is apparently from the Madison Scouts....HA! No surprise there.

Please tell me that you don't have to march in a 70+ year old drum corps to understand that your drum corps uniform is much more than the materials from which it was manufactured. I would like to hear from people from some other corps. Are they really just band jackets? I cannot believe that only Madison and Boston feel this way....

• Like 1

I agree with almost everything you said, with the exception of one major point. You're not talking about THE UNIFORM. You're talking about they drum corps members FEEL, THINK AND ACT in regard to the uniform.

The pile of fabric, buttons, thread and velcro is essentially the same, designed by the same designers and manufactured by the same companies. So, if you want to talk about the uniform, there's really no difference. If you want to talk about how members treat the uniform, there's a vast difference.

While all of those things were shown towards our corps uniforms, we were more hardcore about it in HS. I never EVER turned a shako upside down before I marched corps. Just sayin' not all HS bands treat their uniforms that way.

The uniforms themselves are designed by the same people, manufactured using the same products, and marketed through the same venues. They are the band uniforms by make, corps uniforms by treatment.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

I agree with almost everything you said, with the exception of one major point. You're not talking about THE UNIFORM. You're talking about they drum corps members FEEL, THINK AND ACT in regard to the uniform.

The pile of fabric, buttons, thread and velcro is essentially the same, designed by the same designers and manufactured by the same companies. So, if you want to talk about the uniform, there's really no difference. If you want to talk about how members treat the uniform, there's a vast difference.

Also how the members are taught (via staff and peer pressure) how the uni should be treated. Mainly treat it with respect like your instrument and corps in general.

Hazy memory of year after I left the college band finding one of the buzbies(sp) in a puddle under the stands. Held it up in front of the band and dumped out the water that was in it. You could tell by the faces of the members who was PO'ed and who thought it was funny. Bet no one was gonna think it was funny after the band leaders got done talking. :shutup:

Hmmmmmm... Let me think about this for a minute.

In my HS Band our uniforms were new in my first season. We were actually measured for a custom fit and when they came in we loved them. Oh man they were white with braids and a red sash across the chest! And the Shako! Oh boy was it ever huge! It had to be at least 18" tall covered with fur. I know you have seen 'em. Well these uniforms were treated better than any uniform I have worn since. It was almost ceremonial as to how the jacket had to be hung, how you acted while wearing the uniform and also food was not allowed, water only.

I have been in a few corps since my HS days and the smaller and less competetive the corps I marched with, the more reverence shown to the uniform (this is of course only my personal experience).

We call them "SUPERMAN" suits in my SR Corps! So without calling any single corps out by name that I may or may not have been associated with, also noting that I do not know what their policies are today... I have seen a pretty well respected uniform treated with very, very little respect.

So for some they are DRUM CORPS UNIFORMS and there is a huge cavernous seperation between band and corps. For me... not so much, I did them both and had somewhat similar experiences...

Edited by Big Bad Bari

I've noticed that when the performance becomes the dominating goal, it's less important that your shako never be carried upside down inside where no one can see you. The respect shown towards the uniforms was due in part to a respect for the corps and MOSTLY due to the fact that they were an expensive investment and we had the obligation to care for them.

The military notion of uniform protocol might be important to some; it's always been important to me. But the uniform is a band uniform that is worn for drum corps performances. The difference is the individuals IN the uniform.

I start this thread as a reaction to several comments on another thread (the best-looking corps thread) with regard to uniforms in drum corps vs marching band. I was surpised to hear some posters say that there is no difference bewteen drum corps uniforms and band uniforms, as they are made of the same materials and frequently are even similar if not exact copies of each other. (ie: "they're All BAND JACKETS, ETC")

I think this analysis completely misses the point. I just recently completed my 30th year as a high school band visual designer/caption head. During those years (including this past season), I have witnessed high school band kids doing the following while in uniform: running, skipping, eating, swearing, yelling, screaming, walking around with their jackets unzipped, holding their shakos by the straps, stealing each others plumes, sitting on the ground, throwing their jackets on the ground while changing, rolling their uniforms into a ball and throwing them on the floor of the bus, etc etc etc.....

Now, of course I cannot speak for all drum corps, but I can speak for the corps with whom I've been associated from 1979-2010. In this organization, the uniform is regarded with the upmost respect...actually, with a reverence usually only seen in church. Not only are ALL of the above behaviors not tolerated; there is actually a code of conduct centered around the uniform, its treatment, how it is to be worn, and what a member can and cannot do or say while in "full" uniform. Furthermore, it is not some old, out of touch staff memeber or alumnus who enforces these rules.....it is the membership who look upon this issue with deadly seriousness. Interesting how 18-21 year olds take this every bit as seriously in 2010 as they did in 1980...or 1970...or 1940.

The corps I am referring to is the Boston Crusaders. I noticed that the other poster who shared this same view of the uniform being revered is apparently from the Madison Scouts....HA! No surprise there.

Please tell me that you don't have to march in a 70+ year old drum corps to understand that your drum corps uniform is much more than the materials from which it was manufactured. I would like to hear from people from some other corps. Are they really just band jackets? I cannot believe that only Madison and Boston feel this way....

It's the same as a drum corps being called a marching band...It's a mindset. When it becomes ok for a drum corps to become a marching band, it becomes ok for a drum corps to look and sound like a marching band. I don't wanna see or hear a marching band when I go to a show...I wanna see and hear a drum corps.

is a band uniform the same as a corps uniform? yes, but...no.

is a drum corps the same as a marching band? yes, but...no.

The first reply is correct. You are talking about the membership behavior and not the uniform. Band and corps uniforms are the same. How members treat them MAY be different.

Although, I have seen many many bands here in Texas, including every one I've ever worked with, have a great deal of discipline when it comes to uniforms. There will always be children (I emphasis that word) that think "Eff this I'm in band for the credit and I'll walk around with my uniform unzipped", but those students always meet consequences (again, speaking from personal experience, not saying all programs do this.)

Example: The LD Bell Marching Band gets is very professional in uniform. Those kids know that if they don't that the director and even their peers will come down on them. They sit in an organized block in the stands while waiting for score announcements. No moving, no talking, and no cheering for yourself when they announce you've won. Much like many DCs do in retreat.

Many marching bands have the same respect because their directors are FMMs of corps from all over the country from all different eras. It would make sense that that tradition of uniform respect trickle down.

In short, don't paint with such a broad brush.

Having never marched I'm a little confused about one thing. The upside down shako? Is that a never ever do that thing or the to do thing. Not tryin to start heat just wondering

Having never marched I'm a little confused about one thing. The upside down shako? Is that a never ever do that thing or the to do thing. Not tryin to start heat just wondering

in corps, you will almost never see a member carrying their shaco, aussie, helmet, whatever they call them, by their strap while in uniform.

the only time you might ever see a corps member not behaving in uniform is from pictures taken while on the buses and theres a saying thats probably in most corps, "what happens on the bus stays on the bus". generally you can goof off on the bus at a show site but as soon as you step off the bus, you better be on your best behavior.

from my experience even if we were in rehearsal with uniform parts, jackets/headgear, we were expected to behave better than if we were in normal rehearsal clothes just out of respect for the uniform and the organization.

this generally applied to wearing our corps jackets in public too. its all about the image we represented of our corps