One Band, One Sound

Your sig says "Making lurking an artform since 2002!" yet you have 4,470 posts on DCP alone.

Yet more proof that, like troll, DCP has no clue the real definitions of interweb terms.

Sorry, I've had to come out of my shell a little bit since folks can't seem to behave or play nice around here.

And 1.3 posts a day doesn't necessarily make me a chatterbox around these parts.

The topic is "Lessons from Drumline" - aannnnnd GO!

My haste and auto spell check get the best of me again...who'd a thunk it wouldn't recognize "improv".

I know, right?

It really is a shame that computers don't work in favor of musicians :tongue:

I'm sorry, IMO Drumline has little to no redeeming value.

That said, there are a few lessons that relate to drum corps:

- Drummers think they're bad-a** no matter what socioeconomic background they come from, or whether or not the title is deserved,

- Hollywood can make a bad movie out of any decent subject regardless of the lessons to be learned, and

- In the category of what NOT to do, drum corps is about hard working individuals coming together to make a cohesive unit of one. Stand-out ad-libbing is not acceptable except when it's programmed.

Other than those, watching Drumline makes me wish I could get those 90 minutes of my life back so I could watch the FanNetwork.

I'm sorry, IMO Drumline has little to no redeeming value.

That said, there are a few lessons that relate to drum corps:

- Drummers think they're bad-a** no matter what socioeconomic background they come from, or whether or not the title is deserved,

- Hollywood can make a bad movie out of any decent subject regardless of the lessons to be learned, and

- In the category of what NOT to do, drum corps is about hard working individuals coming together to make a cohesive unit of one. Stand-out ad-libbing is not acceptable except when it's programmed.

Other than those, watching Drumline makes me wish I could get those 90 minutes of my life back so I could watch the FanNetwork.

Very true. On the topic of drummers, some of the ones I know are just jerks. One of them would put bottles of pee in my tuba. Of course, I play in a drum line with him, and our drum instructor says he can get contras and then I can show him up

Are you an expert on this, too?

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 2

Its funny that many Drum Corps people knock and look down on Drumline and show bands but how many drum corps get the national exposure that these bands do. These show bands draw thousands to each game. I'm sure you advertised a show with the top 5 corps and the top 5 show bands the show bands would draw more people.

And the funny thing is Drum Corps is one high step away from becoming show bands.

Edited by Lance
off topic comment removed
  • Like 4

Bingo. What I learned from watching that movie is that the vast majority of people have no idea what a quality drumline looks and sounds like.

there are different versions of what a quality drumline looks like. it could be old school. check out some of the alumni corps out there. it could be todays dci/wgi. it could be dca and dci of the 80s'. it coul be an HBCU drumline.