Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

So 15 seconds is too much to ask for?

And you only hate amplified singing? So you have no problems at all with Garfield 84, where they were singing, or Boston 99 and 00, where they were singing, you only have problems with amplified stuff? Way to split hairs there....

well, IMO, the accoustic stuff wasn't as jarring and blended a hell of a lot better

So 15 seconds is too much to ask for?

And you only hate amplified singing? So you have no problems at all with Garfield 84, where they were singing, or Boston 99 and 00, where they were singing, you only have problems with amplified stuff? Way to split hairs there....

I don't have a problem with unamplified singing. It's by no means splitting hairs.

• Like 2

Now, just cuz I need to ask, what about amped stuff that wasn't jarring and very well blended?

All of it? Pretty much any amped voice I've heard in drum corps has stuck out like a sore thumb, and not in the same way that, say, trumpet soloist sticks out. This includes Crown '07, Cadets '05, Blue Devils '06...just...no.

• Like 1

Frankly, this is a revelation to me because I honestly thought you were against all and every singing in drum corps.

Just amped singing... interesting...

It's mostly a balance thing, since the volume is artificially increased from what it would be acoustically (so it always appears jarring and out of place, even more so than the marimbas and xylophones now), a style thing (remember early season beginning of Cadets 2006? :throwupen:), and a quality of sound system/speaker thing.

• Like 1

All of it? Pretty much any amped voice I've heard in drum corps has stuck out like a sore thumb, and not in the same way that, say, trumpet soloist sticks out. This includes Crown '07, Cadets '05, Blue Devils '06...just...no.

Well, I mean... lets say that you actually found amped voice to be well balanced and not jarring. Would you like it then. (Just ignore for a moment your opinion of a poor history)

I encourage corps to use their amped vocals appropriately. And because I feel that amped voice has not stuck out like a sore thumb I'm confident that with every year that passes that drum corps that decide to amplify the human voice do so in better ways.

Edited by charlie1223

It's mostly a balance thing, since the volume is artificially increased from what it would be acoustically (so it always appears jarring and out of place, even more so than the marimbas and xylophones now)

Interesting thing I should note is that some corps do not mic their xylophones. They usually always mic the marimbas, vibraphones, drum sets, and timps but xylophones and bells are sometimes left out of the micing equation because their voices speak very clearly over the brass ensemble...

not every aspect of the pit is miced.

Edited by charlie1223

Interesting thing I should note is that some corps do not mic their xylophones. They usually always mic the marimbas, vibraphones, drum sets, and timps but xylophones and bells are sometimes left out of the micing equation because their voices speak very clearly over the brass ensemble...

not every aspect of the pit is miced.

I actually meant to type vibraphone, haha.

• Like 1

Well, I mean... lets say that you actually found amped voice to be well balanced and not jarring. Would you like it then.

Yes, but not very much in that I'm philosophically opposed to amplification anyway.

• Like 2