Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

I'm not saying I'm pushing for changes to make it what I want, I just wish people could be happy with DCI, and still accept it as the activity they grew up with and love.

Well spoken and I agree. There's an ocean of difference between:

"I prefer acoustic drum corps."

and

"This is no longer drum corps."

• Like 1

How is that hypocritical? Why should someone who prefers acoustic sounds object to singing? Even if you paint all dinosaurs with the same brush, I've heard singing on field recordings as early as 1953, so it has been part of drum corps for quite some time.

That may be true. I imagine that in similar fashion, some people can't stop pushing for changes until it's exactly the way they want it.

Statement of the year.

I'm not saying I'm pushing for changes to make it what I want, I just wish people could be happy with DCI, and still accept it as the activity they grew up with and love. Some of us will never know how things used to be with G bugles, symmetrical drill, and un-grounded pit. Watching the Kingsmen in 07 was probably the closest I'll ever come to that. But that's just the way it is. I just want people to give the Cadets a chance before completely condemning their show. It's still January, wait until the season starts, okay?

sure...now that electric has been added? what if this was 2003? would you be pushing to allow electric? your statement says to me..."well, now that we've added all this electric stuff, you just have to be happy about it, and you can reminisce about the past all you want, but it's not ever gonna return." Would you have felt the same way in 2003? The only major change in that time frame was G to Bb, and mic'd singing would be illegal.

Some of us will never know how things used to be with G bugles, symmetrical drill, and un-grounded pit. Watching the Kingsmen in 07 was probably the closest I'll ever come to that. But that's just the way it is.

If judging requirements hadn't changed, this still might be possible today, and you wouldn't have to wonder what it was like. I'm not saying anyone would march tympani, but they still might march G.

sure...now that electric has been added? what if this was 2003? would you be pushing to allow electric? your statement says to me..."well, now that we've added all this electric stuff, you just have to be happy about it, and you can reminisce about the past all you want, but it's not ever gonna return." Would you have felt the same way in 2003? The only major change in that time frame was G to Bb, and mic'd singing would be illegal.

If judging requirements hadn't changed, this still might be possible today, and you wouldn't have to wonder what it was like. I'm not saying anyone would march tympani, but they still might march G.

Lol,given that most corps would opt for the grounded tymp I can't imagine anyone auditioning for a corps that would make them carry the thing!

IThat may be true. I imagine that in similar fashion, some people can't stop pushing for changes until it's exactly the way they want it.

Statement of the year.

There's nothing profound here. There have been people have been "pushing for change" from day 1. And there have been people objecting to every change as "THE END OF DRUMCORPS !!".

Everyone wants to draw a line the sand and say "THIS is drumcorps",

There *is* no line. It's a continuum of change.

I'm not pushing for anything. I get it, you don't like electronics. Okay? You've made your point, but please, just accept that this is how DCI is, this is how most of the kids marching today know it, most of us don't know what the G era was like, except for on video or recording. I do believe in progress for DCI, and doing what it needs to do to survive in the modern era of technology. Sure, it's not what you like, it's not to your taste, but hey, you can never please all of the people all of the time.

For most of us out there, THIS IS DCI, even with electronics and mic'd singers. It's what we know, and I'm not sure about this, but I'd like to hope that the rest of the kids that I march with are enjoying it too.

Well spoken and I agree. There's an ocean of difference between:

"I prefer acoustic drum corps."

and

"This is no longer drum corps."

Thank you. I'm just glad to see someone gets it without trying to turn it into something else. No need for guys on here to keep trying to "GET THOSE DARN KIDS OFF MY LAWN!" That seems to be the vibe I've been getting here. If it's not how I remember it and like it, it's obviously worse.

There's nothing profound here. There have been people have been "pushing for change" from day 1. And there have been people objecting to every change as "THE END OF DRUMCORPS !!".

Everyone wants to draw a line the sand and say "THIS is drumcorps",

There *is* no line. It's a continuum of change.

Well Ok, not going to spend any time debating someone else's comment with you again. :satisfied:

I'm not saying I'm pushing for changes to make it what I want, I just wish people could be happy with DCI, and still accept it as the activity they grew up with and love. Some of us will never know how things used to be with G bugles, symmetrical drill, and un-grounded pit. Watching the Kingsmen in 07 was probably the closest I'll ever come to that. But that's just the way it is. I just want people to give the Cadets a chance before completely condemning their show. It's still January, wait until the season starts, okay?

You mean, just like *some of us gave them a chance from 2005-08 as well as '04 Crown?

*notice I said "some of us, Mike D. I know these shows are the end all/be all of drum band corps for you and your MBI buddies

I do believe in progress for DCI, and doing what it needs to do to survive in the modern era of technology. Sure, it's not what you like, it's not to your taste,

Careful, you may get Hrothgar14 upset! :P

but hey, you can never please all of the people all of the time.

I agree with alot of what you say fsubone. But honestly, I think DCI can do an even better job of pleasing more people "some of the time".

What I constantly suggests here is that corps shouldn't feel obligated to use electronics. It's not that I think electronics are better or worse they are just another tool to use and I think judges and corps should see them as that. It would be nice to see plugged in and not plugged in corps compete with each other, in the hopes that corps can freely use G bugles or other instruments from the past as well as the modern ones.

I honestly feel that if that happens drum corps will have an even wider variety and people who are philosophically against amped singing in drum corps won't mind that the Cadets are doing it if you have Madison Scouts rolling out the G bugles. In fact the contrast and variety might be extremely invited. Variety, Variety, Variety.

Edited by charlie1223