Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Well I think its great that you have a lot of passion for the cadets organization and George Hopkins. I would agree that he has done a lot for his corps, students, the marching arts, and for drum corps over the years. However, your point that George Hopkins is some how an "important" part of the corps fan base is probably a bit of a stretch. I can't say that I'm a fan of a corps because of "who's" in charge or running it. I like a corps based on how's it run and the programs they put out on the field. Yes, the people in charge "influence" that, but I don't look at them as the "cause" of me being fan.

You're point however probably reflects an idea that the cadets may "change" (in show style and aura) if George were to leave. And frankly the jury is still out on that, it could, or it could not, depending on who's next. But based on other corps and their changed directors, those corps auras still very much stayed the same.

Yes, actually, that's pretty much how I feel. I fear that Cadets shows will change once Hopkins leaves. But isn't that a reasonable assumption given all the "issues" his shows have been causing with the fans (and perhaps more importantly) the alumni?

• Like 1

They didn't win till George showed up... :ph34r:

tongue.gif...

Actually, they were winning WAY before George showed up. They were winning way before you or me were born. They just had a slow decade before George showed up and brought them back to the top.

They didn't win till George showed up... :ph34r:

George.....Zingali

• Like 1

odd. I remember seeing a totally different story back then.

Nope. That was the same story I recall. There was band that did a show called the Zone or something. Different music, drill, etc...not 'stolen' or 'borrowed' from the band. If I recall, even the theme was not the same as the Cadets. I thought, and this is a vague recollection, that the band show was more along the lines of a Twilight Zone theme.

Nope. That was the same story I recall. There was band that did a show called the Zone or something. Different music, drill, etc...not 'stolen' or 'borrowed' from the band. If I recall, even the theme was not the same as the Cadets. I thought, and this is a vague recollection, that the band show was more along the lines of a Twilight Zone theme.

Regardless...

How can you not expect some degree of "spill-over" when the competitiveness of this activity (from HS up through drum corps) is what it is. Whether its musical arrangements, drill design, what have you... Everyone is always searching for that edge-up. And with corps staff being involved in various HS programs during their "off-season"... yeah. There are gonna be some similarities.

This is nothing new. Jeff Sacktig doesn't write solely for the Cadets. Search "Pocono Mountain" on YouTube and you'll see a good bit of the Cadet's drill from the late 90s on there. Who "stole" or "borrowed" from who in that case?

No one. It was one designer's ideas being used on two fields.

tongue.gif...

Actually, they were winning WAY before George showed up. They were winning way before you or me were born. They just had a slow decade before George showed up and brought them back to the top.

good point.

• Like 1

Regardless...

How can you not expect some degree of "spill-over" when the competitiveness of this activity (from HS up through drum corps) is what it is. Whether its musical arrangements, drill design, what have you... Everyone is always searching for that edge-up. And with corps staff being involved in various HS programs during their "off-season"... yeah. There are gonna be some similarities.

This is nothing new. Jeff Sacktig doesn't write solely for the Cadets. Search "Pocono Mountain" on YouTube and you'll see a good bit of the Cadet's drill from the late 90s on there. Who "stole" or "borrowed" from who in that case?

No one. It was one designer's ideas being used on two fields.

well, PM had more bodies. foreshadowing for the 150 rule?

:ph34r:

• Like 1