Shane Gwaltney

Well stated. I do agree with both you and Tom; merely pointing out that it goes both ways between corps and members.

Mike

Well I hate to disagree with you, but I will lol. :cool:

I have no problem with members, who sacrifice an absurd amount of money, time, and effort to march drum corps going wherever they feel they will get the best experience. With that said, they should be considered 2nd for a spot in a new corps where the returning vet is equal in talent. It just seems like the Regiment evacuees will have a leg up in the SCV audition process because they're Rennick's boys. If I'm not giving Rennick enough credit to make the tough call and show one of his championship drumline members the door over an SCV vet with comparable chops, then so be it, I can't coment on Rennicks integrity in a situation like this one way or another.

Well I hate to disagree with you, but I will lol. :cool:

I have no problem with members, who sacrifice an absurd amount of money, time, and effort to march drum corps going wherever they feel they will get the best experience. With that said, they should be considered 2nd for a spot in a new corps where the returning vet is equal in talent. It just seems like the Regiment evacuees will have a leg up in the SCV audition process because they're Rennick's boys. If I'm not giving Rennick enough credit to make the tough call and show one of his championship drumline members the door over an SCV vet with comparable chops, then so be it, I can't coment on Rennicks integrity in a situation like this one way or another.

and as with this activity...ALL adjudication is a judgment call.

Most of the Phantom vets who went to SCV are/were UNT students of Rennick's first. So they are definitely loyal to him and no surprise that they followed him to SCV. And the non-UNT PR vets would logically follow Paul and their friends as well in hopes of repeating. Lets be realistic, you're coming off a year where your line just won high drums, now the staff and most of the vets are going to another corps. Are you going to be the one that stays behind for a "rebuilding" year??

BTW, vets following staff to another corps is nothing new. I remember back when Tom Float moved from Spirit to Blue Devils in the early 80's, many of that great Spirit line went west with him. And that was before it was common to march for a corps far away from home.

• Like 1

Most of the Phantom vets who went to SCV are/were UNT students of Rennick's first. So they are definitely loyal to him and no surprise that they followed him to SCV. And the non-UNT PR vets would logically follow Paul and their friends as well in hopes of repeating. Lets be realistic, you're coming off a year where your line just won high drums, now the staff and most of the vets are going to another corps. Are you going to be the one that stays behind for a "rebuilding" year??

BTW, vets following staff to another corps is nothing new. I remember back when Tom Float moved from Spirit to Blue Devils in the early 80's, many of that great Spirit line went west with him. And that was before it was common to march for a corps far away from home.

There are few drumline instructors in the history of DCI who have commanded the loyalty of Tom Float, Rennick may be one of them. Regarding the bolded portion, as I mentioned in my last post I don't any problem with members going where they will, and I can absolutely understand their interest in following Rennick. That doesn't change the fact that any returning SCV vet with equivilant chops should get the spot before a Rennick loyalist.

I guess this brings up an interesting question that may already have answers given two audition camps are on the books. Any one have any idea how the SCV auditions have gone and where returning members stand compared to the champs?

Edited by BozzlyB

There are few drumline instructors in the history of DCI who have commanded the loyalty of Tom Float, Rennick may be one of them. Regarding the bolded portion, as I mentioned in my last post I don't any problem with members going where they will, and I can absolutely understand their interest in following Rennick. That doesn't change the fact that any returning SCV vet with equivilant chops should get the spot before a Rennick loyalist.

I guess this brings up an interesting question that may already have answers given two audition camps are on the books. Any one have any idea how the SCV auditions have gone and where returning members stand compared to the champs?

I think you've posted this previously...but if the evaluation was objective, any veteran would have a .666667 chance of retaining their spot given their off season work.

Two scenarios would favor them. One would obviously not.

You're right -- had the same thought. The question about SCV vets vs. Rennick disciples has already been answered. There's a camp next weekend. Some enterprising DCP'r should attend :-)

If Rennick has the rapport, chemistry, and experience with his students (including those he teaches in an academic setting), there is much reason to consider them over someone with equal ability but without that bond. If the goal is a competitive drumline and chops are equal, the chemistry will be the defining factor in success. Sadly, taking an SCV veteran with equal - or even slightly better - chops is not AS favorable to a successful line.

I have a crazy idea. Why don't we all wait until after the first show?

The Bridgemen drummers also followed DeLucia and Dubinski to Star in '85; so you are correct that this thing with Rennick is nothing new.

Edited by Stu