Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

If you've been paying attention to my posts, you know my position on this issue. So without getting into a rant, I firmly believe that we can scientifically study exactly why music and more specifically drum corps has such an emotional effect on audience members. Furthermore, I think we can go even deeper, into isolated musical and visual characteristics of a show, and discover how they map to neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain. Such information would be incredibly useful for show designers to aid in creating the most exhilirating products possible, because we'd have the exact knowledge of what makes them so.

I know not everyone may agree that such an attempt is even possible, would have any effect, or would even be beneficial to drum corps, but I figured I'd share this article on the topic to help get the ball rolling.

• Like 2

I hypothesize that if a corps bangs drums together (on a scale of the standard deviation of timing of hits) and blows horns louder (on a scale of decibels) , they will get a better audience reaction (on a scale of t-shirts sold/audience member.)

• Like 1

If you've been paying attention to my posts, you know my position on this issue. So without getting into a rant, I firmly believe that we can scientifically study exactly why music and more specifically drum corps has such an emotional effect on audience members. Furthermore, I think we can go even deeper, into isolated musical and visual characteristics of a show, and discover how they map to neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain. Such information would be incredibly useful for show designers to aid in creating the most exhilirating products possible, because we'd have the exact knowledge of what makes them so.

I know not everyone may agree that such an attempt is even possible, would have any effect, or would even be beneficial to drum corps, but I figured I'd share this article on the topic to help get the ball rolling.

I have a deep appreciation for research and do it for a living. And I'd love to see the outcome of this research project once you get NSF funding for it. :)

However, suggesting that show designers could be aided by such research is ambitious. Or, more specifically, suggesting that show designers would WANT to be aided. You could unscientifically figure out musical and visual characteristics that generate emotional effects in audience members through an informal survey - but show designers generally aren't interested in this.

What show designers want is a data mining effort that provides score output from musical and visual characteristic input - the link between higher score and show design with a talent constraint.

What if corps knew with a 100% certainty that audience members get the highest reaction from... say, Latin music in drum corps. And they were even able to find out a specific song that "most" audience members liked and had the strongest reaction too say "Malagueña". Every corps recieves the same data. They want to please the fans so in 2012 every corps plays Malaguena and latin tunes.

Oh... wonderful...

• Like 1

What if corps knew with a 100% certainty that audience members get the highest reaction from... say, Latin music in drum corps. And they were even able to find out a specific song that "most" audience members liked and had the strongest reaction too say "Malagueña". Every corps recieves the same data. They want to please the fans so in 2012 every corps plays Malaguena and latin tunes.

Oh... wonderful...

Nevermind the fact that not all neurological pathways will be the same for everyone and therefore, not everyone will have the same baby-throwing reaction. God forbid, the split is 60/40, the corps program to the majority, and boom.

DCI has lost 40% of it's audience.

Blinded indeed.

... For who?

Are you implying we all love the same thing or will react to the same thing?

I'd hate to see your study come back and show that the most exhilarating product involved narration....

It's been scientifically proven on DCP that it's impossible for anyone to understand what audiences may or may not enjoy. Furthermore, although it's been suggested that you may be able understand what you like, there are serious questions regarding the validity of these findings and proper caution should exercised in determining personal enjoyment of any drum corp related performance. In conclusion it's impossible for anyone to know anything about audience approval or disapproval.

( unless you're studying breakfast entrées in which case waffles are the clear favorite with pancakes a distant second )

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1