When woodwinds are added....

Hey Jeff: My interaction with Howdy in another thread has moved me from a -29 to a -5 in just two days; and I have even placed in my signature space a request for people who agree with me to give me a red negative!

remind me green you every chance I get :tongue:

• Like 1

Is a slide whistle considered a woodwind instrument?! I know corps have used slide whistles. And what about train the acoustic train whistle. Is that a wood wind instrument!?

percussion

• Like 1

percussion

I get to have some fun going up against Jeff on this one! Many Wind Instruments have been placed in the Percussion section by Orchestral Composers; but that does not make them Percussion Instruments, they are still technically Wind Instruments. Here are definitions from Merriam-Webster proving my contention: Percussion: The Beating or Striking of an Instrument; Percussion Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by Striking, Shaking, or Scraping. Wind Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by wind; especially the Player’s Breath. So if they are fine by you to be in the percussion section of a Drum Corps, it appears to me that you are you willing to accept "non-percussion, non-brass wind instruments" in the Drum And Bugle Corps activity. Correct?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

No....multiple judges.

So you know it was more than one judge, yet you state things in this obtuse manner just to avoid using plural form? Think how much bandwidth you could have saved if you simply put the "s" on the end of the word "judges".

Because I was responding to the quote by a judge in the post I was answering. It was a quoted statement made by a judge. I then added that I thought another judge had said much the same. You really ought to practice reading for comprehension. Hardly obtuse.

• Like 1

I get to have some fun going up against Jeff on this one! Many Wind Instruments have been placed in the Percussion section by Orchestral Composers; but that does not make them Percussion Instruments, they are still technically Wind Instruments. Here are definitions from Merriam-Webster proving my contention: Percussion: The Beating or Striking of an Instrument; Percussion Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by Striking, Shaking, or Scraping. Wind Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by wind; especially the Player’s Breath. So if they are fine by you to be in the percussion section of a Drum Corps, it appears to me that you are you willing to accept "non-percussion, non-brass wind instruments" in the Drum And Bugle Corps activity. Correct?

well I was told by no less than 3 college professors, 2 of them that judges drum corps, that when they asked more knowledgeable people above them, they were told they were listed as percussion instruments.

I've never seen them listed on any list of woodwinds

• Like 1

well I was told by no less than 3 college professors, 2 of them that judges drum corps, that when they asked more knowledgeable people above them, they were told they were listed as percussion instruments.

I've never seen them listed on any list of woodwinds

So, let me get this straight. The three college professors, two who are DCI judges, and the experts above them think that the proper way to produce a sound on a slide whistle, a bird call, and a samba whistle is by “striking” them? Well by golly, I have been playing the darn things wrong all these years!!! I have used my breath (ie wind) to produce sound from them. So could it be, is it possible, that those “experts” are wrong in their assessment and those instruments are actually wind instruments played by percussionists?

So, let me get this straight. The three college professors, two who are DCI judges, and the experts above them think that the proper way to produce a sound on a slide whistle, a bird call, and a samba whistle is by "striking" them? Well by golly, I have been playing the darn things wrong all these years!!! I have used my breath (ie wind) to produce sound from them. So could it be, is it possible, that those "experts" are wrong in their assessment and those instruments are actually wind instruments played by percussionists?

i said drum corps, tho one did DCI. They could be wrong, but if so, then DCI has been wrong since 1972.

Imagine that :tongue:

• Like 1

i said drum corps, tho one did DCI. They could be wrong, but if so, then DCI has been wrong since 1972.

Imagine that :tongue:

DCI could be wrong, or they are wrong? The word usage is important. But more importantly, in your opinion, it is wrong to have non-brass wind produced instruments in the percussion section of a drum corps? I will wait for this answer with much anticipation!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stu