When woodwinds are added....

I must have missed it... Can you provide a link to where that information was posted?

Ah, sorry - wrong year. 2009 was the 4th most profitable. No data's been released on 2010.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4d909db4-31c6-40d4-8bfd-5aa854f91ba0

A large portion of the recent financial results were driven by the 2009 World Championships in Indianapolis—one of the most profitable in the organization’s history. With final results tallied and independently audited, the 2009 World Championships rank as number four out of 38 years of producing Championship events.

Assuming (that's a big assumption, I know) that the 2010 numbers come out similar in that the smaller crowd doesn't necessarily equate to smaller profits, then my point still stands - we're just trading Finals crowds for regionals crowds, and this isn't such a bad thing.

Mike

I'm sorry about my "older population" comment, it just seems like every proposal/change in the activity is frowned upon. I personally love DCI finals being in LOS. I feel acoustically it produces a "concert hall-like" sound. I know that's what people don't want to see/hear, but I believe that the best sound quality possible is the right way to go - even if it does take a dome's help.

Again, I'm sorry for my last comment sounding so harsh.

Glad you're passionate about an activity you love. I never thought of LOS as a "concert hall". Interesting ( not meant to come off as good or bad) way to think about it. For me, it's just so mushy. It's so hard to hear the individual parts. Add that with "thunderous goo" and it's just crazy. I do think that some shows can take advantage of the dome, so thanks for the point of view.

Incidentally, I'm really looking forward to hear BK 2011. First Suite in Eb was fun. Played it in High School, and twice in college. It's a classic. Can't wait to hear the rest of what BK 2011 is playing...

• Like 1

Ah, sorry - wrong year. 2009 was the 4th most profitable. No data's been released on 2010.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4d909db4-31c6-40d4-8bfd-5aa854f91ba0

Assuming (that's a big assumption, I know) that the 2010 numbers come out similar in that the smaller crowd doesn't necessarily equate to smaller profits, then my point still stands - we're just trading Finals crowds for regionals crowds, and this isn't such a bad thing.

Mike

Do you know, are those numbers adjusted for inflation, or are they absolute numbers?

That would make a difference. The article doesn't say.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything but anecdotal evidence about total season attendance - have you seen it written down anywhere that we can compare? (Asking as you are infinitely more connected than I these days. :) )

Mike

that I'd publish without showing sources names? no. Cause quite honestly, nothing on paper has been shown in meetings that I have been able to find out, just what has been said in meetings.

that's why I say they should show the whole #### thing on the fan network. Air it all out there. They more they openly disclose, the more the public may just step up and say "well ####, we gotta do something".

the more they hide stuff, well, the more that just shows people ( in their minds) they don't care.

wow. I've been in many concert halls and never heard that kind of echo.

I went to BOA Grand Nationals (yes I know it's marching band - get over it). I remember there being excellent acoustics. I felt like I could hear every section equally. When there were backfield sections, the sound didn't drown out - it resonated. It also exposes weaknesses. For instance, if there was a band that didn't play confidently, you couldn't hear them as well.

that I'd publish without showing sources names? no. Cause quite honestly, nothing on paper has been shown in meetings that I have been able to find out, just what has been said in meetings.

that's why I say they should show the whole #### thing on the fan network. Air it all out there. They more they openly disclose, the more the public may just step up and say "well ####, we gotta do something".

the more they hide stuff, well, the more that just shows people ( in their minds) they don't care.

Exactly. There should be more transparency in Drum Corps.

Especially with such a fragile and small organization as DCI, letting people know out right that there are problems can only lead to good things. I mean, there are really no competitors in the drum corps market, there isn't "really" a rival organization, so what's the point in hiding numbers that you have? They should be clear about all their standings and shouldn't feel "embarrassed" to be honest with the public.

Edited by charlie1223

I went to BOA Grand Nationals (yes I know it's marching band - get over it). I remember there being excellent acoustics. I felt like I could hear every section equally. When there were backfield sections, the sound didn't drown out - it resonated. It also exposes weaknesses. For instance, if there was a band that didn't play confidently, you couldn't hear them as well.

I think the issue that is agreed upon by most people is that the acoustics are not ideal. DCI has even urged LOS to address these issues every year, and i think most corps directors would agree the acoustics are just not ideal for an outdoor performing group.