DCA's Lack of Competitive Parity - Food for Thought

WARNING:

To anyone who may be reading these posts:

This guy does NOT have any idea what he's talking about. His rationalizations are always wrong. He has several axes to bury and he would prefer to bury them in the head of DCA. Do NOT assume he speaks for any all aged corps. He does NOT.

Shadow 7 - go crawl back under your rock with the rest of the Texas snakes.

Ok Jeff... your turn.

• Like 1

WARNING:

This guy does NOT have any idea what he's talking about. His rationalizations are always wrong. He has several axes to bury and he would prefer to bury them in the head of DCA. Do NOT assume he speaks for any all aged corps. He does NOT.

Ok Jeff... your turn.

Tom, you hit the nail on the head. I can tell by your very uncharacteristicly terse post that this person is just trying to stir up trouble. I was surprised when I saw this thread active again. Thought it was "done" a couple of months ago but some people just need the attention I guess.

I'd suggest we all ignore anything posted by this person and watch them fall of the first page of posts day by day.

• Like 1

WARNING:

Ok Jeff... your turn.

Tom,

I'm glad this jerk is here on DCP where he can REALLY make a complete fool of himself rather then to wallow in obscurity over on RAMD. Jeff's been ripping him a new one over there for a long time now. Guess he has an anal fixation and likes that kind of thing. :cool:

• Like 2

I very rarely post on DCP but I read it and like the discussions that the members place on it. This particular topic started by Lee, is leading to a very interesting subject. The attendance at drum corps shows and in this case the DCA Championship. We all know that we have to compete for the entertainment dollar.That also has been discussed on DCP. The Buccaneers winning streak, the ecomomy, the six years in Rochester all have had an effect on attendance. The Buccaneers have raised the bar and anyone that attended the 2010 Championship saw the most competitive competition that DCA has had in years.

So whats the answer? How many of you who post on here attend the Championship. How many of you all-age fans have taken someone you know and introduced them to drum corps. How many of our DCA corps bring their fans to witness them compete. We all have a responsibility to keep this wonderful passion we call drum corps alive. There have been many suggestions and comments here on this topic. Some of it has been very true, there is reasons for the decline of fans and we at DCA are quite aware of it and will do the very best we can to market our product. The problem that we are discussing here is about all drum corps not only DCA. So I ask you , what have you done to introduce someone you know to go to a drum corps show?

Gil Silva, DCA

Edited by DCA 1
  • Like 2

What schedule? The last DCA competition in my state was 2008. They were supposedly scheduled for 3x shows last year. But delivered NONE. I'll believe it when I see it, because according to DCA rules of non-competition. Any one of two fail, all fail. Just one member short and your competitive season ended last season according to the rules. (or several seasons ago, if any)

Who's reality? Gas, toll roads, parking, uniforms, instruments, dues, mandatory fun-draisers or buyouts, gloves, shoes, eating out, everything. It all adds up. $2K is conservative IMO. Given that the nearest (according to the rules) competitive drumcorps is 200 miles EACH way, relative to where I live. And at $4 a gallon, that's no chump change.

For the math impaired.

200 (miles) * 2 (round trip) * 20 (weekends) = 8000 miles

8000 (miles) / 34 (mpg) = 235.3 gallons

235.3 (gallons) * $4 (per gallon) = $941.20

$940-ish in gas. And that's just the gas to get to camp twice a month for ten months.

Drumcorps should start publishing baseball cards. Number of competitive seasons / over number of existing seasons equals batting average. Sadly there's probably only one or two corps that have the perfect 1.0 ratio. But that's probably just me being overly optimistic again. And I guess it depends on how the politicians fudge the numbers. Does one score for a minicorps performance once a year count as a competitive season?

-----

In the meantime, for $27 a seat, let the best corps win.

(it's a shame they weren't allowed to compete)

;)

One Note Samba

Again, would someone please send this guy a picture of himself from 2006 so he will shut up,..........

Edited by Gary Matczak

One Note Samba

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by Fran Haring

Gil,

I am pleased you spend time here. This is the voice of our activity. Surely, a difficult time for drum corps and many other entertainment options. From what I read, DCA is addressing the challenge of retaining consumer interest by adopting on a "customer first" attitude. You can't do much more than that.

I believe our activity will survive these trying times, however, I feel survival will ultimately require experimentation with indoor venues and smaller corps rosters.

Hang in there, big guy, We need you.

What schedule? The last DCA competition in my state was 2008. They were supposedly scheduled for 3x shows last year. But delivered NONE. I'll believe it when I see it, because according to DCA rules of non-competition. Any one of two fail, all fail. Just one member short and your competitive season ended last season according to the rules. (or several seasons ago, if any)

Who's reality? Gas, toll roads, parking, uniforms, instruments, dues, mandatory fun-draisers or buyouts, gloves, shoes, eating out, everything. It all adds up. $2K is conservative IMO. Given that the nearest (according to the rules) competitive drumcorps is 200 miles EACH way, relative to where I live. And at $4 a gallon, that's no chump change.

For the math impaired.

200 (miles) * 2 (round trip) * 20 (weekends) = 8000 miles

8000 (miles) / 34 (mpg) = 235.3 gallons

235.3 (gallons) * $4 (per gallon) = $941.20

$940-ish in gas. And that's just the gas to get to camp twice a month for ten months.

Drumcorps should start publishing baseball cards. Number of competitive seasons / over number of existing seasons equals batting average. Sadly there's probably only one or two corps that have the perfect 1.0 ratio. But that's probably just me being overly optimistic again. And I guess it depends on how the politicians fudge the numbers. Does one score for a minicorps performance once a year count as a competitive season?

-----

In the meantime, for $27 a seat, let the best corps win.

(it's a shame they weren't allowed to compete)

;)

As long as you have your calculator out (and apparently handy to the keyboard)... Lets take an abbreviated look at MY personal record of ten years of consequtive seasons with DCA. First, I must state with all honesty that from 1986 to 1996, DCA was still very much an "east coast" activity. My residence in Cincinnati, Ohio meant that some fairly long distance commutes were required in order to participate. I accepted this FACT and bore the burden willingly, giving 100% of my effort and attendance to EACH DCA CORPS I was associated with, in those 10 years. My shortest commute was to Pittsburgh at 5 hours and fifteen minutes. Then nine hours to Harrisburg, fourteen hours to Syracuse, six and one half hours to Racine. (these are ONE WAY commutes). From 1980 through 1983 I commuted IN STATE to Alliance Ohio, five and one half hours, to a corps that never made it into the top 12 in it's four years of existance, and maintained a perfect, documented attendance record. But let's leave that out of the ten year run and chalk it up to "education". Here to the best of my ability, are the statistics (abbreviated) : three minivans, each were run up to 110,000 miles on the odometers for a total of 330,000 miles driven. I will leave it to your superior mathmatical skills, to compute the mmaintenence costs and the average gasoline consumpsion, per commute, based on gas prices during those years. It is fairly easy to assume that for all intents and purposes, Cincinnati Ohio might be easily compared to Texas to whatever destination you may choose in this decade, in order to compete as a DCA corps, or a member thereof. Quite frankly, You do lots of complaining here about distance and DCA rules, to the point of whining, ad-neaseum. Conversely, I accepted the reality of long distance commutes and ALL the costs associated with it. And what value did I recive for my efforts? The following: A quality education in music performance from drumcorps LEGENDS, More friends than I can add on YOUR calculator, one DCA World Championship, One DCA individual Championship, two DCA showmanship awards and a PA. Hall of Fame Lifetime membership, all of which pale in comparison to the aforementioned friends, each of which are of LONG duration and will remain lifetime friends. THIS my friend, is what you are missing out on, with every wasted post, every missed opportunity and every misguided and mean-spirited post! Find the nearest all age corps, ignore the distance, suck it up and drive! Spend HALF of what I spent, drive HALF of the distance I did in ten years or for God's sake, Join a local Bowling League! Literally thousands of members have commuted long distances to compete in DCA, at their own expense, with practically none of the complaining you have exibited on this forum. By the way, I value my experience in DCA so much that indeed,I would do it all over again if age and time were not an issue. It really IS that good.

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 2