Dot marching vs. being in the form

Placing more emphesis on dot vs form has resulted in poor transitions. Corps who are teaching their students to just go to their dots and to ignore the forms are creating a lot of problems for themselves visually, and analizing their shows gives us proof.

You are blind. Sorry. I feel really bad for the band you "judge" because you continue to show how very little you know about the modern activity.

Transitions are better and more difficult then ever. Anyone can clean, lets say, a 16 count move at an 8 to 5 step size with the met at 160 over the course of an entire summer.

Placing more emphesis on dot vs form has resulted in poor transitions. Corps who are teaching their students to just go to their dots and to ignore the forms are creating a lot of problems for themselves visually, and analizing their shows gives us proof.

Exactly. And it is noticeable to the experienced eye, imo.

The increased velocity, while offering many more varied formation clusters in the course of a show, have sacrificed precision and uniformity in the process af attainment of these wonderfully designed formations. There are marchers literally out of step when the velocity reaches the level of the running stage segments in portions of some of these performances.. We see this with the naked eye. This is understandable as the velocity makes uniform step movement to such formations on different spread out formations next to impossible to maintain proper step uniformity, spacing, etc. I've noticed that instructors have done a terrific job in having the marchers arrive at the formation at precisely the time and manner demanded in the visual set. But the journey there can be fraught with lack of uniformity among marchers doing the same skill set at different areas on the field.

Edited by BRASSO

Exactly. And it is noticeable to the experienced eye, imo.

The increased velocity, while offering many more varied formation clusters in the course of a show, have sacrificed precision and uniformity in the process af attainment of these wonderfully designed formations. There are marchers literally out of step when the velocity reaches the level of the running stage segments in portions of some of these performances.. We see this with the naked eye. This is understandable as the velocity makes uniform step movement to such formations on different spread out formations next to impossible to maintain proper step uniformity, spacing, etc. I've noticed that instructors have done a terrific job in having the marchers arrive at the formation at precisely the time and manner demanded in the visual set. But the journey there can be fraught with lack of uniformity among marchers doing the same skill set at different areas on the field.

2 words: sub-sets

Corps use sub-sets!!! SUB-SETS! It's like having a dot every 2 steps! If instructors "do a terrific job in having marchers arrive at the formation at percisely the time and manner demanded in the visual set" then multiply that by the number of sub-sets in a performance!

I think your experienced eye needs some thicker glasses...

• Like 2

2 words...who cares. dots..forms..lines...scramble...as long as it gets done, does it really matter?

• Like 2

2 words: sub-sets

Corps use sub-sets!!! SUB-SETS! It's like having a dot every 2 steps! If instructors "do a terrific job in having marchers arrive at the formation at percisely the time and manner demanded in the visual set" then multiply that by the number of sub-sets in a performance!

I think your experienced eye needs some thicker glasses...

I don't think the Sub- Sets need a multiplier here.( comment removed per forum guidelines - ee)

A marcher "out of step" is.... out of step. Period.

Sub-sets, dots, multipliers, etc or not.

Edited by Eddie
personal attack on forum member
  • Like 1

I don't think the Sub- Sets need a multiplier here.( comment removed per forum guidelines - ee)

A marcher "out of step" is.... out of step. Period.

Sub-sets, dots, multipliers, etc or not.

But a marcher out of step has nothing to do with the technique used to teach drill.

Edited by Eddie

But a marcher out of step has nothing to do with the technique used to teach drill.

agreed.

agreed.

What I see from many top 12 drumcorps is tons of interval errors, and distance errors, and cover and dress errors.

Knowing where your set and subsets are is one thing, and I agree that every marcher should know every one of them by the book [ but in the real world many student don't] but what are you going to do if being in your subset , at the proper place, on your dot perfectly, makes a bad interval problem ever worse?

Are you going to make adjustments , or are you just going to go to your designated subset [dot baby!] and ignore all interval and distance errors, because it is not your responsibility to adjust to them?

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1