Health of the Activity!

The Sunrisers are competing in Class A this year . Program of Les Mis with full corps costuming. The link that works,(for those that like links to work) is http://www.sunrisers.com/fra/newsite-2011/default.shtml

Edited by Mellofello01

The Sunrisers are competing in Class A this year . Program of Les Mis with full corps costuming. The link that works,(for those that like links to work) is http://www.sunrisers.com/fra/newsite-2011/default.shtml

Our old team is hanging in there this season, Steve! So far, so good. :thumbup:

Except that the SDCA concept seems to be having a hard time gaining any traction,...........many of the shows that have been scheduled have been subsequently cancelled,.........there is no formalized system of judging,

Also, corps of any size can play exhibitions if the show sponsors or event organizers accept them,.........

In their core region in the midwest they are doing fine,the expanded regions are having a tough time getting started.It wasn't financially feasible for us to travel 9 hourd for a show.Next year should have 2 shows locally in the Western PA area.

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Don't knock it until you've tried it either as a spectator or member.

2) People who watch these corps in non-corps related functions (parades, etc) or corps functions (corps standstills, shows, etc) seem to enjoy so what's the problem. Lot of non-corps people have been introduced to DC because of these groups.

Lot of these groups are on "that site" or like mine have vids on their homesite. Might not be as bad as you fear....

Pssst who cares what others think.Most of us are just out there having fun.We're having our best year ever!

For the record, I was considering "back in the day" to be based on the years Jim had in his sig line...early-mid 70's. Visually, I've always considered the line of demarcation to be about 1982 or so, with the musical evolution starting a bit earlier...about 1980 for brass.

Absolutely! And based on comparisions of todays DCA corps to corps from the early to mid 70's, one would certainly have to say that todays programs do offer a higher level of difficulty, which of course is not saying much considering that the '72 Cabs (and everyone else) spent perhaps 3 to 4 minutes parked in concert! However when comparing your average modern DCA programs to the current paradigm of the activity, the programs do not contain high levels of difficulty. Of course given the shortened seasons and more relaxed practice schedules of the current DCA crop it would be unfair to make the comparison, however Sunrisers '88-89 likely were closer to the paradigm of the activity in their years than the current champs, and circuit as a whole, is now.

And BTW, if the scoring system currently judged execution, the results would not have changed much over the past 6 (going on 7) years...

Edited by VOReason

Pssst who cares what others think.Most of us are just out there having fun.We're having our best year ever!

Hey people think I'm nutz for doing parades anyway (at my age :blink: ). Just thought I'd give an invite to the poster to see what's going on. If they still feel that way that's their opinion but at least they'd have more info.

PS - How did this get into a BITD vs today whizzing match? I posted about the past judging set up when posting with DCA1fan because I know that better than todays sheets. Then it appears I PO'ed a few people and then we get this then vs now crap....

Edit: "At my age" is what I hear from others.... :tongue: And our age range is college to 70s.... too bad I'm closer to that higher number (get even closer in a few weeks).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In their core region in the midwest they are doing fine,the expanded regions are having a tough time getting started.

Really?,..............I haven't seen anything on these boards, or anywhere else about shows anywhere, let alone the midwest,...........how many shows have been held in the 4 or 5 different regions?

Really?,..............I haven't seen anything on these boards, or anywhere else about shows anywhere, let alone the midwest,...........how many shows have been held in the 4 or 5 different regions?

Go to their facebook page or website. They've had 4 or more shows this year already.I haven't followed the regions so I can't speak for them.We had 3 places for a show in the area but only 2 corps were ready to do anything.DCP is a great outlet but not everyone uses it.I have seen a few things here, but best thing is to go to organization itself for exact information.

Most definitely. Sun included, during the Dennis DeLucia years. Dennis wrote a very musical book for Sun's line. In the tick-system era.

I would challenge any modern-day snare line (or entire drum line) to take a Sunriser book from the DeLucia era, learn it and clean it in two days. Not going to happen. Not a knock on the modern-day lines... they are great at what they do.

John, you can't paint any era with such a broad brush. "None were." "No one did (whatever)." Because it is not accurate.

True, Fran...we lose accuracy in the quantification of material to be learned vis-a-vis different eras of our activity. I still teach, alot, and know how shows are put together and, probably more importantly, taught nowadays. It's pretty much the same as in the day, learning-wise, with a huge edge visually in how the charts are constructed and fields lined, etc. AFA music goes, the process of learning goes quicker now, in that students can read (although my group in the '60's could read and have a chart on the field same day...did it...) and teaching methods have evolved. Because that's the gig...how fast can you get that kid to be able to separate between the skills required to *play* and *march* a show? You ever heard the term "...boy, if they could play that marching as well as they play in the arc...?" That is the battle, and even a high level Open Class corps, with kids trained to death in their high school programs, has to go through the same process. We've all done it; learn the music, now march it...and somewhere down the road it becomes a part of us, enough so that we can actually *think* while doing the show, maybe getting it a little cleaner (heh)? So, no, the statement regarding a weekend to learn a show from BITD is rash from the get-go, educationally. But we can teach that show with MUCH more efficiency nowadays...to the point of "wow"...which is why they can do so much more than we did. Nature, baby...

cg

True, Fran...we lose accuracy in the quantification of material to be learned vis-a-vis different eras of our activity. I still teach, alot, and know how shows are put together and, probably more importantly, taught nowadays. It's pretty much the same as in the day, learning-wise, with a huge edge visually in how the charts are constructed and fields lined, etc. AFA music goes, the process of learning goes quicker now, in that students can read (although my group in the '60's could read and have a chart on the field same day...did it...) and teaching methods have evolved. Because that's the gig...how fast can you get that kid to be able to separate between the skills required to *play* and *march* a show? You ever heard the term "...boy, if they could play that marching as well as they play in the arc...?" That is the battle, and even a high level Open Class corps, with kids trained to death in their high school programs, has to go through the same process. We've all done it; learn the music, now march it...and somewhere down the road it becomes a part of us, enough so that we can actually *think* while doing the show, maybe getting it a little cleaner (heh)? So, no, the statement regarding a weekend to learn a show from BITD is rash from the get-go, educationally. But we can teach that show with MUCH more efficiency nowadays...to the point of "wow"...which is why they can do so much more than we did. Nature, baby...

cg

Good points, Charlie.

I'm not trying to sound like a "we did everything better back in the day than they do now" dino, because I know we didn't.

What we did then was great... for then. And a pretty decent amount of it has stood the test of time. What they're doing now is great, too... for now. I'm sure the "test of time" thing will apply here, too.

Maybe 30 years from now, if, Lord willing, drum corps is still around, the current generation will be saying the same thing about "their day" versus the present day. LOL.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... there are exceptions to every general rule of thumb, in every era.

• Like 1