SCV 2011: Marching 20 snares this year

Ugh, flat snare drums at SCV make me sad.

I think the style of playing will be more jarring to watch. Even when Jackson took over for a few years, SCV still had a super relaxed and flowing approach to drumming. I love Rennick's beats, but I have never seen him teach that way before. It would be really cool if he tried to merge his way of teaching with the Vanguard approach, but I don't think that will happen.

A corps ditching the marcher they had last year for a better marcher = acceptable.

This hardly ever happens though. If someone is actively asked not to come back, I am guessing that it is usually for some reason other than their talent. I know there were members that were not asked back with Vanguard because they had done something that reflected poorly on the corps.

no loyalty from the drum corps to the marcher...no loyalty from the marcher to the drum corps...drum corps...sports...marriage...life...there is no loyalty anymore.

i remember a day when there was loyalty...too much nowadays is based on the "right here right now".

Right: there is absolutely no loyalty in corps anymore: we can totally paint that super-broad brushstroke, can't we :rolleyes:

By the way, how about loyalty to staff members?

I think the style of playing will be more jarring to watch. Even when Jackson took over for a few years, SCV still had a super relaxed and flowing approach to drumming. I love Rennick's beats, but I have never seen him teach that way before. It would be really cool if he tried to merge his way of teaching with the Vanguard approach, but I don't think that will happen.

This kind of brings up what could/should be an interesting teaching philosophy debate. Is it a Caption Head's job to 'work with what he has/established techniques,' or should it the Caption Head do his own thing, regardless of how radical a change it might be to the program they're coming in to? For example, New University of Michigan Brady Hoke has said publicly (as has the University of Michigan Athletic Director) that there is an understanding that Brady should (and will) adjust his schemes a bit to fit the talent he has already at U of M. He'll probably run a hybrid program and kind of 'wean' the team off of former coach Rich Rods schemes in as his classes become more predominant. One of the harshest criticisms of Rich Rod is that he attempted to radically change the offensive style upon arriving, thus setting the program back as players struggled to adjust.

Should Rennick radically change SCV's technique immediately, at the risk of slowing down SCV's growth (and/possibly alienating & intimidating SCV vets) or should he gradually tweak their technique until the line is 100% "his" students? Cavaliers radically changed their technique in 06 when Casella and it took their members some time to adjust while scoring below-their-average for a while.

I don't know the answer to that questions. I do know that when a Caption Head goes from one corps to another, the CH is more likely to teach their style since that is what they know. Time well tell, and for all we know there will be a far greater amount of Rennick's 'members' than SCV vets and this is a moot debate.

This hardly ever happens though. If someone is actively asked not to come back, I am guessing that it is usually for some reason other than their talent. I know there were members that were not asked back with Vanguard because they had done something that reflected poorly on the corps.

Heh: the Purple Feather...

:thumbup:

Ugh, flat snare drums at SCV make me sad.

Not me. I'm so glad they are getting rid of the #### tilt. :thumbup:

Right: there is absolutely no loyalty in corps anymore: we can totally paint that super-broad brushstroke, can't we :rolleyes:

By the way, how about loyalty to staff members?

I commented on this post earlier, but I wasn't making a sweeping generalization.

many kids have loyalty to their corps. many kids have loyalty to a staff or philosophy.

both are great, and sometimes both can be bad. All we can do is hope it works out for the best for the kids

I would think that unless you had an incredibly influential staff member, the loyalty to the corps and corps members would take precedence.