Stick Tricks!

What are some of the coolest stick tricks you've seen a World Class drum line do? Or for that matter any tricks that you've seen a world class battery do.

I was just watch blue coats from last year and I saw that the battery did a nifty stick twirl trick around 2:47 of their show. I love the blue coats show and thought I've seen everything but it's nice to notice things that you didn't notice before!

I'd say Cadets 2000 had some pretty insane stuff going on in their drum break, especially from the tenors. And then Madison 97 with the swordfight on top of the cymbal rack, with the snares playing off of them. But for stick tricks, I think it would be Madison 92. Watch the snares really closely during the drum break, and there's some pretty cool stuff going on, playing off of each others drums and stuff like that.

And then Cadets '06, with the stick throw across the snareline was pretty cool to see.

What are some of the coolest stick tricks you've seen a World Class drum line do? Or for that matter any tricks that you've seen a world class battery do.

I was just watch blue coats from last year and I saw that the battery did a nifty stick twirl trick around 2:47 of their show. I love the blue coats show and thought I've seen everything but it's nice to notice things that you didn't notice before!

Sky Ryder tennis ball trick in '88 was just cheesy enough to be cool. And besides, they got to through tennis balls at the field judge most nights at the end of the lick.

1: BD 2004 drum break.

2: Cavaliers 1995 drum break in "Mercury".

3: BD 2003 show intro

Honorable mentions: Cadets 2003 in "Malaguena", Cadets 2002 (backfield stick chuck during the intro to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy").

Edited by JamMan

Stick tricks?!?! Pffffttttt.... that's too "old school" for you two. C'mon now, monkey drummin's where it's at, now. :rolleyes::tongue:

Man I HATE monkey drumming! :thumbdown:

1973 Anaheim Kingsmen had a drum solo where the 8 snares split into two sets of four, facing each other on either side of the 50 yd. line, and did a stick toss where they threw their sticks across to each other several times. Pretty impressive stuff for that era, and pretty gutsy considering this was the tick era. link to copyrighted material removed - ds

Edited by Dave
removing link to copyrighted material

Spirit 84 was I think the first time a line used three sticks and actually played with them. The 90 degree angle visual in the BD 82 solo Paradox made me cross my eyes until someone show ed mehow they did it. Simple, really, but looked so good.

1973 Anaheim Kingsmen had a drum solo where the 8 snares split into two sets of four, facing each other on either side of the 50 yd. line, and did a stick toss where they threw their sticks across to each other several times. Pretty impressive stuff for that era, and pretty gutsy considering this was the tick era. link to copyrighted material removed - ds

Russell I'm surprised you didn't mention SCV '74 and '75. Their stickwork during YPG and Birds of Fire (I think that's what it was called) were pretty cool. Old school, true, but unmatched in cleanliness.

Edited by Dave
removing link to copyrighted material

Pardon my ignorance, but . . .

WTF is monkey drumming?