So can somebody explain this G7 thing?

I just wanted to ask if anyone has a reasonable and logical explanation for why Crossmen and Revolution should not be included in the Texas shows to start the season?

Very few corps have the resources to be "performance" ready so early in June. So, it could be that if asked, they would decline because they might not be ready?

One of the TOC's show ideas is the shorter time constraint so by not including Crossmen and Revolution they are able to meet their goal of a time constraint?

I suggested that non TOC corps should show up if they want and can be given the opportunity to perform an encore tune or two in between corps setup time or even during the intermission inside of the stadium. It would be nice if on the jumbo tron they included a PSA announcement that said something in reference to the fact that Texas as two of its very own drum and bugle Corps (to the fans that are mostly likely from the Texas area) and maybe a nice video about those local corps encouraging possible drum corps fans to audition for them.

Sorry Jeff, I'm not a fan of assumptions. I am however a fan of making judgements based on known fact, something that's unfortunately taken a back seat to paranoia and conspiracy theory on DCP lately.

you're right. I assumed they were ok with their names on it. it's entirely possible not all knew what was being presented

• Like 1

This is one of the worst assumptions out there right now, with absolutely NO proof to back it up, the notion that the G-7 proposal was a bluff to get a lesser agreement. Why do people believe this, because it's been bantered around DCP by a few bloggers? This is the first time I can remember in recent history that people are incapable of judging the current atmosphere because of an inability to get over a proposal that justified their hatred of one person's ideas, that they then have projected to the rest of the top 8. What does this show? IMO it shows an extreme lack of ability to judge based on existing facts and an unfair willingness to bash those in the position you'd like to be in. I guess the G-8 should have known... :doh:

oh if you only knew.....

• Like 1

I just wanted to ask if anyone has a reasonable and logical explanation for why Crossmen and Revolution should not be included in the Texas shows to start the season?

well sure. They aren't top 8.

the idea wasn't about what's best for anyone but the top 8

• Like 1

People have made SO many assumptions about the intentions of several corps, and about the direction of the TOC shows, based on the soundly rejected proposal of ONE corps director.

That soundly rejected proposal you refer to came from seven corps. Says so on the front page.

I acknowledge what you are saying regarding assumptions....but what other cues do we have to go on? The leadership of any of those seven corps could issue a press release, post to their website, discuss on DCP or via the DCI Roundtable, do a podcast or a FieldPass segment, interview with a Drum Corps World reporter, or any number of other options to let us know what their intentions really are. But we've had six months of silence instead.

Still, the opportunity remains.

What is unclear to me, and something I'd like answered, is how many of the other G7 corps really knew and agreed with what Hopkins was going to propose before they signed on to the whole G7 thing. Knowing that would help clear up some things about the TOC (which I whole-heartedly support).

Two reactions:

1. Think about it. The G7 had four months of conference calls putting their proposal together. Their proposal in May received votes in favor from the four G7 directors on the BOD at that time. Four days later, all seven of these corps posted the same press release on their websites in solidarity.

Now, hypothetically (since this is so obviously unrealistic anyway)....if you were the director of one of these corps, and you didn't know until the presentation was given that this proposal was going to include the firing of Dan Acheson, taking over DCI ticketing/merchandising/event management, taking voting power away from existing member corps, casting open-class loose, and denying show access to non-G7 corps....and you found these things objectionable....wouldn't you have spoken up?

2. The TOC is a series of shows cooked up by DCI, with the concurrence of a BOD consisting primarily of non-TOC corps directors. It does what DCI's mission statement has said they should do for decades....showcase the top corps. TOC does not equal G7. However....the TOC show concept was part of that G7 proposal. And human nature being what it is, you know that people are going to spin TOC attendance statistics as justification for further concessions to the top corps. We already see this politicking on DCP. So while the TOC shows are not an evil plot against DCI, they are now inextricably linked to the G7 affair.

This is one of the worst assumptions out there right now, with absolutely NO proof to back it up, the notion that the G-7 proposal was a bluff to get a lesser agreement. Why do people believe this,

Obviously, they’re jealous and fans of non-G8 corps Obviously

Some people are treating it as an assumption, and yes it's wrong to do that without any proof. And to be fair people on both sides of this debate have made the same assumption, not just the anti G7 crowd. But most posters seem to be guessing or conjecturing that this is the case. That's very different from an assumption, and perfectly acceptable so long as you're making it clear that you're just guessing.

As for "not getting over" the G7 proposal and judging the current atmosphere . . . well, the G7 proposal is part of the current atmosphere. The proposal caused a major rift within DCI, had directors and other prominent folks literally at each other throats. Lots of anger sullenness and hurt feelings. All that has not magically vanished. Instead it has poisoned almost everything that's happened within DCI over the past seven months, and that's a fact not an assumption. The G7 and the TOC are inextricably linked. The question is how. That's where the "assumptions" are being made, and it's no wonder.

I find this to be an accurate description of what the DCP reaction has been, but I also find it a bit bold to extend that to DCI, which is NOT DCP.

I find this to be an accurate description of what the DCP reaction has been, but I also find it a bit bold to extend that to DCI, which is NOT DCP.

Let the haters hate, that's what they do, hate

one day they’ll be thanking and praising the G-8 for allowing marching bands to thrive