Looking for that one solution.

...to bring back the fans. I just want to see it happen, for everyone.

I would have to bet that if PR. came out with a straight all-female guard with no dancing and went back old-school all equipment line, people would come back. Just to see it.

Blue Stars going back to showing us some leg in there guard.

Madison Scouts rifle line not letting go of their rifles would add some lost fans.

How about VK bringing back some balls when they come out on the field. Women in the cymbal line this year?

Yeah, go on: hot pants, the sex cymbals, the Rockford File, the SCOUTS and other fantastic rifle lines. I have great memories of enjoying those spectacular performances. But I don't think folks are going to return to the fold in huge numbers to see the Blue Stars "showing us some leg in there [sic] guard." It just seems a little too simplistic to think that some 30 or 50-something guy with a couple of kids and a day gig with two weeks off a year is gonna say " I hear Madison is fielding a rifles-only section this year. We gotta see it! Let's round up the posse and..."

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

I think it will be, sooner than later. Job #1 is gonna be getting back all the fans(the money).

What I meant by drum corps being more inclusive has nothing to do with the circuit bringing in enough money, 'cause if some folks weren't making money, this activity would be done. I would like to see this activity be more accessible to participants from a cost standpoint. Currently, young folks pay several thousand dollars per year to participate. And this is just the dues, camp and audition fees. To me it is the empitomy of arrogance to tell a kid, "we are looking for members, however we want YOU to pay several hundred dollars just to try out..then WE will determine if you are good enough...and BTW, if you are not good enough, thanks for the money..."

Daniel, where did you get this data? Who gave you access to it and why did they give you access? Are you speaking about this data with their consent or perhaps on their behalf?

I know you have been in contact with one corps in an official capacity with regards to a T-shirt design, are we to presume?

What are we to presume?

Your creditably is paper thin, give me a little more reason to indulge ‘your ideas’

I don’t understand why you are allowed to discuss this data but not share it, surely you can tell us the source of this data and your role

I’m sure you, as a reasonable person, can understand my doubts and I’d expect that you’d share those same doubts considering

until then, you're little more than a troll, talk is cheap, time to put up or...

You mean because I sent a t-shirt design to an email address?

I'm ok with it if you do not consider my ideas or have concerns about my credibility.

Not a big deal.

And yet, knowing DCP is a place of rabid fans who take issues (and their debate) seriously, you come on with contentions of solutions backed only by opinion, then allude to further data that only you are privy to, and expect the serious posters here to buy your claims sight-unseen. It's the ultimate straw-man argument, and posters here have seen enough straw men to spot one far away.

You say you're not "connected" to any corps or DCI or the activity in general, that you live on the other side of the globe, but that you have inside information trusted only to you. These facts make your contentions of "...must be done..." seem very hollow and baseless. On what grounds should we believe otherwise? Your word alone?

Data without proof is only contention. Surely you see this...

There are a lot of different people that read DCP. Many people read, but do not post themselves. Individual readers, particularly those that do not post, may have a different point of reference.

Anyway, I'm cool with whatever you personally think of me. Not a big deal.

Yeah, go on: hot pants, the sex cymbals, the Rockford File, the SCOUTS and other fantastic rifle lines. I have great memories of enjoying those spectacular performances. But I don't think folks are going to return to the fold in huge numbers to see the Blue Stars "showing us some leg in there [sic] guard." It just seems a little too simplistic to think that some 30 or 50-something guy with a couple of kids and a day gig with two weeks off a year is gonna say " I hear Madison is fielding a rifles-only section this year. We gotta see it! Let's round up the posse and..."

Peace,

Fred O.

I would beg to differ. I think I could get my wife to go back to Drum Corps if I told her that the Madison Scouts were fielding a rifle line that does not put down there rifles for the whole show agian. Thats what she liked about Drum Corps, she is not into lion suits, purple leotards, and masked skinny boys running around on the field, she just isnt. Its really hard to get my 13 yr old into it if thats what she see's. They would want to see a full all female color guard from the Phantom Regiment with a rifle line that just blows you away. I put on the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta and I can have my bunch talking, watching and humming, I put on 2010 Blue Devils they are not interested. Me... I love it ALL. I am a fan of everything going on right now... but I am still here and it does not matter what I think cause DCI already has me. The 50% of that small crowd at finals loved the winner, from what I read, see, the other 50% percent... HATED IT! And they WON! People have to like what is being done on the field, way, way, to many ex fans not liking whats being put on the field. I Love it, they Hate it! Big problem!

• Like 1

There are a lot of different people that read DCP. Many people read, but do not post themselves. Individual readers, particularly those that do not post, may have a different point of reference.

Anyway, I'm cool with whatever you personally think of me. Not a big deal.

You've made this reference before - speaking to phantom DCPers who aren't obvious to those of us who do post. So are you using DCP as your own message board to these hidden readers? Is it only they to whom you are proposing your solutions? This is a pretty convincing straw-man argument, it seems to me. Only the wizards behind their anonymous curtains can comprehend the wisdom of your words?

I can adamantly disagree with your contentions and still admire the voracity of your posts (and I do). I have no personal opinion of you because we don't know each other outside of these posts. You could be a wonderful person, full of love and warmth for your fellow humans or you could be an ax-murderer trolling for victims for all I know. It's what you post here that I mostly disagree with, not you, the person.

I'm mostly thankful that in your case, too, apparently, the movers and shakers of DCI view DCP as a land of fruits and nuts. tongue.gif /sarcasm

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

Actually, it's not a problem at all! In fact, it's what makes the activity art.

Well then, no problem, great. Just got my Minn. ticket, hope there is no storms this year. Looking forward to trying agian this year. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

Well then, no problem, great. Just got my Minn. ticket, hope there is no storms this year. Looking forward to trying agian this year. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

Yes it IS great!! All the best to you and your Scouts!

I AM Loving this thread and siding with Daniel!

Here is why...

5% of the people in the world have accumulated 95% of the things that there are to accumulate! The other 95% of the people share the last remaining 5% of stuff... When reading this thread it is fairly simple to see who the 5%ers are and those who believe in what I will laughingly call "COMMON WISDOM?" lol

Become a 5%er and you too will be capable of understanding what Daniel is discussing! Stay in the 95% as cattle and see things only from your same sad perspective! :devil:

• Like 1