New King marching horns advertised to "take the concert sound to t

I doubt there are even five lead trumpet player in 2011 in all of DCI who could play Spirit of Atlanta's 1980 lead sop book [maybe 3 who could play SOA's 79 lead sop book]. Spirit 80 was louder.

So I lurk a lot, but haven't in a long time. I had to ask this question to the general DCP membership:

Is Howdy that guy that says really dumb crap all the time an everyone ignores him because he's a "special child"?

You must not work with high school kids now-a-days, because let me tell you first hand. With the right teacher (probably NOT YOU) they do some absolutely INCREDIBLE things. I know a program in my area that played in one semester - Molly on the shore, Harrison's Dream, Candide, and Trittico!

I'll move on after this to ignoring the special child, and lurking.

lurk...

• Like 4

I do not appreciate your ugly unmitigated personal attack which is clearly against the DCP forum rules.

Unlike you, I have seen Jim Ott's 79 and 80 lead soprano charts. The current lead sop for the Cadets could play them. If anyone else in DCI today could play them, and their might be a very small handful who can, I have not heard them play anything even close to that high or difficult.

These charts are perhaps the most difficult lead trumpet [sop] charts that DCI has ever seen, but you knew that, right?

I have taught high school [marching]bands for 33 years, and I continue to teach high school trumpet players even to this day. I have been a marching and brass tech since I was a junior in high school.

Edited by Howdy

Yes, because all of those trumpet performance majors in DCI today wouldn't be able to hold up to those kids... :huh::rolleyes:

Not in that range and with those kind of demands.

DCI lead trumpet players today do not play anything even close to the demands of Spirit's 79-80 lead sops.

Edited by Howdy

Not in that range and with those kind of demands.

DCI lead trumpet players today do not play anything even close to the demands of Spirit's 79-80 lead sops.

Sure they could, if they had G soprano bugles. Make the 80 Spirit kids play that stuff on a trumpet and they'd fold like a cheap suit. Anyone with a lick of sense knows this, including all the old-school lead soprano players.

• Like 2

Sure they could, if they had G soprano bugles. Make the 80 Spirit kids play that stuff on a trumpet and they'd fold like a cheap suit. Anyone with a lick of sense knows this, including all the old-school lead soprano players.

Are you serious? You could not be more wrong. Listen to Hunter Moss's 80 Spirit audition, which was on a trumpet. Guys like Hunter Moss could easily out play any of DCI's best trumpet players in 2011, on a Bb trumpet or G soprano bugle.

Spirit's 79-80 leads were better than today's DCI lead trumpet players, and here is the proof:

Edited by Howdy

Are you serious? You could not be more wrong. Listen to Hunter Moss's 80 Spirit audition, which was on a trumpet. Guys like Hunter Moss could easily out play any of DCI's best trumpet players in 2011, on a Bb trumpet or G soprano bugle.

Hunter Moss would tell you different. In fact, I've heard him say as much. But hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good Howdy dino-rant. You'd be shocked at what today's drum corps brass players can do. But never mind me, I just spent the last two seasons teaching them all summer...

• Like 6

/snip

don't really care about this argument, but that music is freaking awesome...I wanna hear it on the field...again. :thumbup:

Hunter Moss would tell you different. In fact, I've heard him say as much. But hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good Howdy dino-rant. You'd be shocked at what today's drum corps brass players can do. But never mind me, I just spent the last two seasons teaching them all summer...

I seriously doubt that, being as Hunter remembers how difficult Jim's lead soprano books were.

OK, put up or shut up. Post an example of a 2010 DCI wc hornbook with lead trumpet parts that are more demanding than this:

link removed

Here is a sample of DCI's 2010 winner. 2010 Blue Devils lead trumpet hornbook is complete peanuts compared with vintage Jim Ott's Spirit lead trumpet/soprano books:

link removed

You won't find anything even close, but you might find some great classical or concert band sounding music on the field these days...

link removed

And I haven't even begun to mention how much more demanding Spirit of Atlanta's 79 and 80 midrange book was compared to what top DCI wc corps play today.

He shoots, he scores, he wins!

Edited by Dave
removing links to copyrighted material
  • Like 1

I seriously doubt that, being as Hunter remembers how difficult Jim's lead soprano books were.

OK, put up or shut up. Post an example of a 2010 DCI wc hornbook with lead trumpet parts that are more demanding than this:

Typical Howdy. Trying to change the argument after he's figured out he'd lost. We're not talking about what the book was in 1980 or 2010, we're talking about what the musicians were/are capable of.

But again, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant. It's the Howdy/Catherine/notabando way.

• Like 4