Biggest surprise to make finals

I have to say Bluecoats 2000, considering they beat Southwind for 12th place by less than half a point and SW didn't have a single caption lower than 12th place.

• Like 2

This one is easy for me...Crown 1995.

I was the the Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti, MI that year and this corps with 110 members show up playing Stormworks, and I didn't think it would be possible for them to hold out and make finals 2 weeks later. They did...and they were great!

I hope you caught this article that ran last week on DCI.org about that very show.

Cascades 2002 came as a surprise to me. There was so much movement in the 9th to 15th place corps between 2001 and 2002 that anything could have happened.

• Like 1

I will say it was very, very hard to be a Trooper at that point. There were some pretty angry people around who said things like "the Troopers killed 2-7." Yes, someone did say that to my face. It was not fun. I had no idea what to say. I didn't know what had happened other than we got tapped for finals and then 2-7 announced they had folded. I was sad, too. I loved that corps and still miss them.

I'm so glad someone else in the thread (Brasso) gave some context to the history of that event.

Troopers didn't kill 27th, the debts from the Olympics years before crippled them and the higher expenses over the next few years finished them off!

I will say it was very, very hard to be a Trooper at that point. There were some pretty angry people around who said things like "the Troopers killed 2-7." Yes, someone did say that to my face. It was not fun. I had no idea what to say. I didn't know what had happened other than we got tapped for finals and then 2-7 announced they had folded. I was sad, too. I loved that corps and still miss them.

I'm so glad someone else in the thread (Brasso) gave some context to the history of that event.

The Troopers didn't kill 27th. Anyone that said that to you was a nitwit. No Corps did in the 27th Lancers. The 27th Lancers succumbed the same way all the other hundreds of Corps succumbed...their financial liabilities exceeded their financial assets. In other words, they went broke.

But they sure had a hellava ride.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd say 1977 Crossmen. Considering the corps was disqualified the year before, coming back and making 11th was quite an accomplishment.

I'm going to say either Cascades 2002, or Spirit 2007. Both corps holding off corps that were on fire coming into Finals week, and in the case of the Academy, a corps that was having a monster of a first season, coming off an undefeated Div. 2 season the year before. I still think Academy had the better show to this day. Something about Spirit's rendition of Hide and Seek just does not sit well with me....

We are all pretty surprised too.We marched prelims, found out we were in Finals, and turned around and did the show again, 1 and a 1/2 hours later! Why there are no prelims on the day of finals anymore.

That is amazing. I give you guys all the credit in the world for being able to regroup that quickly and perform again. Talk about tight turnaround times!!!

We are all pretty surprised too.We marched prelims, found out we were in Finals, and turned around and did the show again, 1 and a 1/2 hours later! Why there are no prelims on the day of finals anymore.

Have seen and experienced that with DCA and glad DCA doesn't make their corps go thru that anymore. Glad I happened to see Frans response or I never would have known this.

:thumbup: to the corps......

It seems to me that since about 2004 the Glassmen would the biggest surprise to make finals, or atleast in the eyes of DCP members. Every year in "prediction" threads, the Glassmen are always the corps that gets the boot in most predictions. Yet, every year they are in finals. This year is no exception in the prediction thread and I'm sure the Glassmen will "surprise" many folks yet again.