Artistry in Motion, Columbus, OH (6/20/03)

Last night in Columbus, Ohio, we were all treated to a wonderful evening of drum and bugle corps competition and some real nice weather. The show started late for some reason. Not sure why. My ticket said 7:30 PM start but Capital Regiment did not play the national anthem until 8:00 PM. The show was held in Crew stadium, which seats maybe 35,000 when full. It is normally for the professional soccer team in Columbus, but the venue works perfectly for drum corps. A pretty large crowd showed to fill the bulk of each deck on concert side.

Capital Regiment, as I just mentioned, played the national anthem to start things off. The arrangement itself is a little strange, but the playing of it was not very good. If you're going to perform this tune it had better be one of the best things you play. The kids were having a hard time following the DM who was rushing through his preparatory gestures too quickly and not as clear on cutoffs at the end of phrases. Some major balance problems existed, and intonation was not good. I hate to be picky hear, and I certainly appreciate all the hard work these young people and their staff put forth, so please don't take these comments the wrong way. I just hope they fix this should they have to perform this music again.

On to the show.

Americanos: Their show is titled "Zorro Rides Again" which features music from "The Mask of Zorro" by Thomas Horner. A very enjoyable show from start to finish. They are small, but they produce a quality sound with their major weakness being that when they try to break into 3 and four part harmony (from unison lines) more is demanded on each individual performer and that is where we hear so many balance/articulation problems. The highlight of this show for me was the young female baritone soloist who did a wonderful job. Her solo was as good as any I heard the rest of the evening. Bravo! The Americanos will definitlely have to find a way to create for balance in the horn line. The last thing you want to hear is for all these small corps to play unison/octave musical lines, but you also don't want to hear them blast on the chordal writing. They perhaps need to take the volume down for a while and focus on the ensemble blend. They will need to train the kids to hear better as to what part they have (melody, countermelody, harmony, rhythm, color), and also how they fit into the chordal elements (root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc.). This is actually the case for most of the small corps I saw tonight and in the past. In many ways these smaller corps have a bigger challenge from the large 60 piece horn lines. And the fact that these drill designers still like to spread them out on the field (3 and 4 step intervals) will create even more difficulty in achieving a full, balanced sound. This is a really good show though and it was well designed. The drill is perhaps a bit too much for what the kids are playing and the overall talent level. If the staff can pull back a tad on demand and start to build confidence in each section of the show, then this music will fly. Nice job!

Marion Glory Cadets: The show is titled "Oppressions In Red." It features the music of Sergei Prokofiev, a Russian composer who is perhaps best known for his version of "Romeo and Juliet," and the music of Basil Poledouris who is more known as a movie composer (The Hunt for Red October). It is nice to see Marion Glory getting a bit larger. I like their uniforms and really hope to see them continue their growth. The first thing that hits you with Marion is their large and outstanding drum line. Very nice writing and excellent playing. The guard was having some major problems early and seemed to not know much of the book, at least not confidently. They performed better in the middle of the program. The horn line is performing a solid book but is having many of the same problems I spoke of with Americanos. The differences in balances and approach to playing needs to be addressed when in unisons and chordal writing. A better sense of pitch also needs to be addressed. Don't worry about power this early on. I felt as thought they were trying to show us how powerful they can be, and I appreciate that, but show me how musical and balanced you can be. Come mid-season as they understand their roles better and have developed the physical to enhance all that knowledge, they will be plenty powerful. A ve ry good show and one to watch grow this summer.

Southwind: Show is titled "Dance Portraits" and features music from the Gayne Ballet by Aram Khachaturian. Good music, big corps, full sound most of the time, and some nice drill. I really enjoyed Southwind tonight. The music is easy to listen to and exciting. The drum line plays well, but I hate the sound of their snares. They sounded like popcorn. The whole percussion section is balancing well with the horns, but when you need them to really dig in and give us some sound, they just can't because the snares just don't have that power and bite when needed. I was suprised that Capital Regiment beat them tonight. I had Southwind over Cap. by a solid 1.75 at least. I think they are much cleaner that Capital. Southwind has plenty to clean, but the show is easily within their grasp. The staff has done a nice job of putting together a program that they can perform and master in time. Their area of concern is guard, and finding hit points in this music that can get the audience going and generate more visual and music GE. Although the music is nice and entertaining, there is never a moment in the show where you say "Wow" or where you stand out of sheer excitement. They need to find some of this. Good show!

Capital Regiment: A Brave New World

This show features music from Dvorak's New World Symphony, Escapade by Joeseph Spaniola, Journey of the Brave by Kate Tice and Kevin Murphy, and Symphony No. 2 by Alan Hovhannes. The music is all quality literature and their is ample melody in the show, but the arrangements are too choppy for my taste and the staff needs to find a way to bring out more music GE in terms of hit points and exposure to error. We need to be able to follow the melody better as well. That will help with GE, although, as with Southwind, there were no musical moments that generated much music GE. The audience never really felt lifted or so excited as to stand and shout, except for the polite standing ovation at the end of the show. They obviously have some excellent talent, they are large and well balanced, and now they need to better define this show. What are we saying to the audience, to the judges? What are we trying to accomplish musically and is it working? These are all things I am sure they are already pondering and I am sure this show will be in fine shape come mid-July. The horn line has some work to do in terms of balance and intonation, but I thought the drums were good, and the guard is performing some very nice routines and they are staged very well. At this point I feel, however, that Southwind will pass them soon.

Madison Scouts: Gold, Green, and Red--The Music of Benoit Jutras

From the moment they step on the field I could tell there was an air of confidence in these Scouts (as has always been the case with this corps). I love the new uniforms. They may take getting used to by some of you, but I really believe that you will learn to like this new look. As for the show, it is all pure Madison with a touch of competitive push added to the master-of-entertainment approach they have taken for years. This show is very competitive and will challenge for a top 6 spot. Visually, they have an outstanding drill that really moves, and their marching style is outstanding. Keep cleaning guys. It is going to be spectacular. The music is perhaps unrecognizable by most, but it is fun, sophisticated, and has been arranged very well to meet the needs of both entertainment and competition. Their are many musical hit points in the this show, and the ballad is one of the most beautiful moments any of you will hear or see this summer. The balance of this horn line is amazing and will only get better, and if there is a weakness it is in the area of musical demand. They may need to beef up a few things as time goes on in order to compete with the likes of Phantom and Cadets who I have already seen. The closer of Madison's show, Incantation, is similar in style of Malaga from 1995. There are so many cool groove moments in this show it is not funny, and the ending is on-your-feet-city! Madison is back and a must see, ladies and gentlement. Don't miss this show. A+ for entertainment, and an 8 out of 10 (at the moment) for competitive value.

Colts: Symphonic Visions--Ritual, Song, and Dance

The Colts are large and very dirty at the moment. The opening statement of the show is very impressive and powerful, but it doesn't go much further after that. Ultimately, this music will be very nice and powerful, and the horn line has lots of talent, but the show needs some serious cleaning. I love the drum line once again. The Colts have really moved forward over the years with their percussion writing and the quality of the playing. The guard is sloppy but very well staged and should be a highlight later in the summer. My biggest complaint is the visual. The drill seems to wander too much, and their are some moves that seem to say something different vs. what the music is trying to say. The staff may need to re-assess their thoughts on this music and what it is saying. The potential is there for top 12, but not unless they re-think their overall music and visual GE package.

Phantom Regiment: Harmonic Journey

This show is so good, so beautiful, and so well thought out that I was completely speechless through the entire presentation (until the end when I stood and cheered wildly). The show features the music of Canon in D by Pachebelbel, Wild Nights from Harmonium by John Adams, The Lord's Prayer from King of Kings by Miklos Rozsa, and Ostinato by Bela Bartok. Just an excellent choice of music and it was mastefully arranged for the field. This is a clear case of where the arranger, drill writer, and the rest of the staff have clearly thought out each component of the show. Each hit, each phrase and where it is going, every visual element and how it is affecting the music and vice versa, and guard staging has all been well programmed. I personally feel this is their finest show since 1996. I really believe that their horn line, in particular, will ultimately challenge for high brass this year (along with Cadets, Cavies, and BD). At this show they had no match (not even Madison was close in my opinion). The balance and blend is amazing, and the intonation was very good for this time in the summer. WOW! What a great show. The ballad, The Lord's Prayer, is one of the most beautiful I have heard in many years on a football field. Goosebump city, baby (as Dick Vitale would say). If anything, here are what I see as weaknesses: they need a bit more in visual demand (but not much, and Tony Hall is on staff). The performance captions should ultimately clean nicely and earn them quality points. The horn line has every bit the demand that the Cadets do (I have already seen Cadets), and I really can't imagine any corps with a more demanding book than Phantom's. The talent is there too. I thought Madison has a bit better visual book, and Phantom's drum line needs to clean and be more effective in the big hit points. This is typical in early season though. Personally, I don't see this show finishing below 4th at finals. And it could win it all.

Glassmen: The Elements--Air, Earth, Fire & Water

The Glassmen seem younger to me this year and their horn line is no where near what they were in past years. Hence, they are getting beat up pretty good at the moment. However, they do have a nice show and could surprise some by season's end. Their visual package was probably the best here last night (even over Madison and Phantom), but it is not very clean. Adding to that is the fact that their guard book is not very affective and way too dirty, and the horn line can't play in tune. Their sound is thin and bright, and they had to perform after Phantom who had a sound as big as Mt. Everest. But the Glassmen still have that outstanding drum line, and like I said the visual package is excellent and seem to move well with the music. Once the music cleans and the horn line plays better, this could be an exciting, fun, and more competitive show. As of now, they are nowhere near the Scouts or Phantom, not to mentione the Bluecoats. Much work to do for the Glassmen, but I think all of you will like the show. It is definitely not a "Boring" show this year.

Well, thanks to all the corps for a great night and thanks for reading this review. It was a great night in Columbus, OH (home of the National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes Football Team), and there was a lot of solid entertainment last night.

Jonathan Willis

Thanks for the great review! I was at the show, and agree with almost every point you make. Phantom also left me speechless. Perhaps my favorite musical show of all time. The horline is just glorious, one of the best I have ever heard - including last year's Cavalier hornline.

I took a few "newbies" to the show, and by the end they were all asking where they could see (and especially HEAR) Phantom again this year. Looks like I will be coordinating some road trips - these people are hopelessly hooked. ^0^

One of my friends who attends a couple of shows every year noted that everyone seems to have ratcheted up the emotional level of their shows this year. It seems to be a concensus among everyone I talk to (or read here). I think drum corps may have found its soul again! Congratulations to ALL of the corps. You are making us very proud again!

Southwind:  ...  Although the music is nice and entertaining, there is never a moment in the show where you say "Wow" or where you stand out of sheer excitement.  They need to find some of this. 

Capital Regiment: ... The music is all quality literature and their is ample melody in the show, but the arrangements are too choppy for my taste and the staff needs to find a way to bring out more music GE in terms of hit points and exposure to error.  We need to be able to follow the melody better as well.  That will help with GE, although, as with Southwind, there were no musical moments that generated much music GE.

Madison Scouts: ... the ballad is one of the most beautiful moments any of you will hear or see this summer. 

Phantom Regiment...The show features the music of Canon in D by Pachebelbel...

Jonathan Willis

1. Too bad because I thought Southwind was full of GE in 2001. Been waiting for them to have a "breakout" year afterwards. Oh well.

2. Why is this a disease with arrangers? The most egregious offender ever was Crossmen 1995 - "School for Scandal." I still cringe whenever I think of how that opener started, and stopped, and started, and stopped...

3. Let's just hope no one yells, "Spank me!"

4. "Canon in D" needs to stay in tune, I would imagine...What is the arrangement like and how are they executing it?

Fine review, Jonathan...very detailed and frank in its assessments.

Edited by mfrontz