An issue of Definition

Stu

Before we get too crass, the point is that we have to define things so that we have a sense of common communication. So can we agree that a drum corps is defined by each organization and not by each individual? DCA can define a corps in their organization; DCI can define a corps in their organization; and the individual can then choose which organization fits their own belief structure better. Is that a good compromise here?

Who gets to officially define what is and is not a drum & bugle corps? DCI, DCA, SDCA, DCNA, VFW, or is it up to each individual? If we can come to an agreement on that, we can stop all this sniping. Now discuss...

It would be interesting if the VFW were to officially decide what a drum corps is, since there hasn't been a VFW National Championship since Phantom Regiment Cadets won the title in 1984. :tongue:

Before we get too crass, the point is that we have to define things so that we have a sense of common communication. So can we agree that a drum corps is defined by each organization and not by each individual? DCA can define a corps in their organization; DCI can define a corps in their organization; and the individual can then choose which organization fits their own belief structure better. Is that a good compromise here?

Good for chaos. I suppose you could say DCI Corps vs DCA Corps..the biggest problem is defining who you are to the masses and just not drum corps people. Everyone knows what a marching band is..for the most part. How would you define a DCI Drum Corps, to an outside person, the difference from an all brass marching band in BOA?

I don't think it's a problem of education. I think it's a problem of people wanting what they want, and not wanting to be wrong, even a little. And I think the entrenchment in relativism is exacerbated by sitting behind computer screens typing in words trying to argue something we have absolutely NO control over. (unless we're one of the people running the show.)

Drum Corps is what we get to see and hear, according to the groups that create shows within their organization's parameters every year. If DCI decided to bring in the whole gamut of standard marching band instruments and retain the name "drum and bugle corps" or "drum corps", then that's what it will be.

Will I stay and watch? Not likely. Will I say things like "it's not drum corps?" Probably. But technically I will be wrong.

well...will it be drum corps, or will it be marching band? I can see many schools fighting over this sadly

Good for chaos. I suppose you could say DCI Corps vs DCA Corps..the biggest problem is defining who you are to the masses and just not drum corps people. Everyone knows what a marching band is..for the most part. How would you define a DCI Drum Corps, to an outside person, the difference from an all brass marching band in BOA?

Yep, that's right; everybody knows what a marching band is: "One time, at band camp...." (full sarcasm intended). Trying to defend the marching activity, even the drum corps activity, to the masses is an exercise in futility! So, here are your current choices (even though you might have some minor disagreements with each organization):

a) Accept the definition of DCI;

b) Accept the definition of DCA;

c) Accept the definition of SDCA;

d) Accept whatever definition DCNA comes up with;

e) Accept the definition of an organization that is no longer involved like the VFW;

f) Accept that there are many configurations called drum corps' defined by different organizations; or

g) Create your own definition and then grumble that no organization provides you with that specific service.

Maybe this should be a poll?

Edited by Stu

Yep, that's right; everybody knows what a marching band is: "One time, at band camp...." (full sarcasm intended). Trying to defend the marching activity, even the drum corps activity, to the masses is an exercise in futility! So, here are your current choices (even though you might have some minor disagreements with each organization):

a) Accept the definition of DCI;

b) Accept the definition of DCA;

c) Accept the definition of SDCA;

d) Accept whatever definition DCNA comes up with;

e) Accept the definition of an organization that is no longer involved like the VFW;

f) Accept that there are many configurations called drum corps' defined by different organizations; or

g) Create your own definition and then grumble that no organization provides you with that specific service.

Maybe this should be a poll?

I suppose for the most part didn't register..even though it was there..un-bolded of course. :blink: What is really awesome about American Pie is that everyone got that (understood). One day at drum corps camp....just loses all meaning to people. Really, I am still awaiting what makes drum corps (today) different from an all brass marching band?

I suppose for the most part didn't register..even though it was there..un-bolded of course. :blink: What is really awesome about American Pie is that everyone got that (understood). One day at drum corps camp....just loses all meaning to people. Really, I am still awaiting what makes drum corps (today) different from an all brass marching band?

Yes, it did register. I placed the words in bold to show that it is ultimately futile to even try to explain the very minor differences between a marching band with woodwinds and a marching band without woodwinds to the masses; because, as you stated, everyone knows what a marching band is. Whether you like it or not, a drum corps is technically a form of marching band; just one without woodwinds. It uses marching brass, marching percussion and marching guard; it performs interpretive drill on a football field; it always has been a form of marching band and always will be a form of marching band (a rose by any other name is still a rose).

Yes, it did register. I placed the words in bold to show that it is ultimately futile to even try to explain the very minor differences between a marching band with woodwinds and a marching band without woodwinds to the masses; because, as you stated, everyone knows what a marching band is. Whether you like it or not, a drum corps is technically a form of marching band; just one without woodwinds. It uses marching brass, marching percussion and marching guard; it performs interpretive drill on a football field; it always has been a form of marching band and always will be a form of marching band (a rose by any other name is still a rose).

Drum corps has always been a type of marching band. I used to tell people "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play bugles in the key of G".

Drum corps has always been a type of marching band. I used to tell people "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play bugles in the key of G".

So you agree that drum corps has always been a type of marching band; wonderful. Here is a concise progression, with changes in italics, that brought the activity closer and closer over the years to being a full-blown marching band; and people have Barked Loudly at each era change! (if dates need adjusting, or I have missed something, please advise).

Inception: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play valveless-bugles in the key of G, and marching drums".

1930s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play valveless-bugles in the key of G, and marching drums, and marching bells".

1960s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play rotor-bugles in the key of G, and marching drums, and marching bells, and marching timpani's, and field shows".

1970s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play 1-valve rotor-bugles in the key of G, marching drums, and marching bells, and other marching percussion, and field shows, and now interpretive dancing guards".

1980s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play 2-valve bugles in the key of G, and marching drums, and dancing guards, and field shows, and have now grounded our other percussion, and now use interpretive a-symmetrical drill moves".

1990s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that play 3-valve bugles in the key of G, and marching drums with kevlar heads, and dancing guards, and field shows, and grounded percussion, and interpretive a-symmetrical drill moves".

2000s: "We are pretty much an all brass marching band that now play 3-valve bugles in the key of Bb, and marching drums with kevlar heads, and have grounded percussion, and dancing guards, and field shows, and interpretive a-symmetrical drill moves, and now use some electronics".

Possible Future: "We are pretty much a full-blown marching band since the addition of woodwinds"

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2