An issue of Definition

Stu

I like this, Stu. tongue.gif

You've come into the light...

Hey, I have said this before, and I will say it again: When I first saw the activity I did not care if it had G or Bb, or electronics, or woodwinds; I only wanted to be a part of the greatest marching musical ensembles in the entire world; period. Yes we should respect history, but the case for me was (and is) quality of what is presented, not petty bickering over what "added" instrumentation does and does not define a drum corps. By the way no brass, percussion, or guard has ever been "removed" from the activity (G bugles can still be used if so desired).

• Like 3

But they are spending their money and attending shows based on their own definitions.

In most regards the fan's opinion is the single most important to DCI because, if the fans don't act on their definitions and attend, what's the point of all the rest?

They spend money and attend shows based on their own PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Don't misconstrue the difference between personal preference vs definition of an activity.

They spend money and attend shows based on their own PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Don't misconstrue the difference between personal preference vs definition of an activity.

Oh man thought it was getting dark cuz it's night time, now since we seem to agree I'm not too sure... :shutup::devil:

Yeah, don't really care what the definition is... if I like I spend my money, spare time and effort (last two the more important) and attend. If not, I can find other things or spend Championships as more of a weekend get away with our group that seeing every corps that is out there.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Who gets to officially define what is and is not a drum & bugle corps? DCI, DCA, SDCA, DCNA, VFW, or is it up to each individual? If we can come to an agreement on that, we can stop all this sniping. Now discuss...

Shouldn't the corps themselves be somewhere in that list?

Oh man thought it was getting dark cuz it's night time, now since we seem to agree I'm not too sure... :shutup::devil:

Yeah, don't really care what the definition is... if I like I spend my money, spare time and effort (last two the more important) and attend. If not, I can find other things or spend Championships as more of a weekend get away with our group that seeing every corps that is out there.

I also agree... crazy... If it works, it works.

if I like it, it's drum corps...if I don't like it, it's marching band. :thumbup:

BITD, most high schools did not use tonal bass drums.

Most high schools used triples, corps used quads, quints, and "gaks".

High schools used plates as accents; drum corps used them in myriad ways besides on beat one. And they added "flash" to the plates.

High schools eventually morphed to these uses, too.

Yes, they're all the same equipment, but drum corps used them in ways, and with charts, that high schools couldn't even dream of using.

Now that HS has caught up to drum corps (or maybe more accurately drum corps has failed to stay out ahead of HS), not so much.

I have to disagree with some of this. (Disclaimer - I'm a child of the 80's.) Even back then, the quad / quints / basses were available for bands to buy - the Yamaha Field Corps snare that I played was the same one that Madison was using. Same brushed silver finish too - man, those are nice. Now DCI corps may have *done* more with them, and I submit that's the case even today, but the equipment has never been different or restricted to solely DCI like bugles were.

Anyways, overall point being that as far as equipment goes, as drummers we've never really had to consider differences between corps and band.

Mike