First Female Drum Majors in Finals?

Oaklands assistant drum major in 75 was a girl whose name I can't recall. In the video you can see her getting run over by Joel in the OTL (he was backing up and didn't see her and she had her back to him marking a drill spot).

Regards,

John

I looked through my 1976 Nationals program, held on September 4, 1976 in Kitchener-Waterloo. Of the 25 corps listed on page 3, 7 were all girl corps. Of the 21 corps that had program photos and/or text, 32 DM names were listed. Of the 32 DMs named, 7 had guy names and 25 had girl names. September 7, 1975 Nationals in Kitchener-Waterloo, photo courtesy of André Thériault.

1975-kitchener-chatelaines-web.jpg

There's Kathy from Ventures; Dawn and I are beside Mike, Mike and ?. 1975 is the only year I wore a red skirt. John, I don't remember Oakland's co-DM's name who is standing beside Joel and by the way, 'The Bump Dance' was a popular back then :wink: Kelly, is that you and Nancy beside Les Chatelaines?

I looked through my 1976 Nationals program, held on September 4, 1976 in Kitchener-Waterloo. Of the 25 corps listed on page 3, 7 were all girl corps. Of the 21 corps that had program photos and/or text, 32 DM names were listed. Of the 32 DMs named, 7 had guy names and 25 had girl names. September 7, 1975 Nationals in Kitchener-Waterloo, photo courtesy of André Thériault.

There's Kathy from Ventures; Dawn and I are beside Mike, Mike and ?. 1975 is the only year I wore a red skirt. John, I don't remember Oakland's co-DM's name who is standing beside Joel and by the way, 'The Bump Dance' was a popular back then :wink: Kelly, is that you and Nancy beside Les Chatelaines?

Sure, the only guy you can discern in this pic is wearing shorts, sorry, liederhosen. :>)

Regards,

John

You're right, Linda - that's Nancy on the left and I'm the shorter one on the right. It must have been a chilly night if we had the black capes on. Poor guy in the liederhosen...:). We lost the All-Girl title that night by .05 if I remember correctly to the young ladies to the left (right as you looking at the line-up) of Les Chatelaines. A corps out of Quebec that we'd never seen up until Nationals.

"Female DM's in Finals":

Going WAY BACK to a time DCI would like us all to forget, St Vincent's Cadets had "Female Drum Majors" in VFW & AL Nationals Finals, and those ladies led the "Big Green Wave" to numerous championships in the late 1940's and throughout the 1950's.

Elphaba

And Elphie ... don't forget the Bpt PAL ... Lillian Gaudette WO Finals 63, 64 (Best DM in 64) and Alice Dobson VFW Finals 1965, 1967 and WO in 65 ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

You're right, Linda - that's Nancy on the left and I'm the shorter one on the right. It must have been a chilly night if we had the black capes on. Poor guy in the liederhosen...:). We lost the All-Girl title that night by .05 if I remember correctly to the young ladies to the left (right as you looking at the line-up) of Les Chatelaines. A corps out of Quebec that we'd never seen up until Nationals.

To the left of Nancy and Kelly of St. John's Girls (in the black capes) are Diane Laverdure and Nathalie Bedard of Les Chatelaines (I was teaching them that year) and to their left is the drum major of Les Marionnettes de Montmagny, Quebec...(another all girls powerhouse corps that would just show up from so far away we had to look it up on a map...and they would blow everyone away).

to their left is the drum major of Les Marionnettes de Montmagny, Quebec

Interesting uniform ... her shako is taller than her skirt.

I see that this picture was credited for being taken in 1975,, so I am confused. In the background behind the DM's I see the Seneca Optimist Bright Yellow Uni,, but they didn't make an appearance until 76. So is this someone else?

My eyes are drawn to the guy in leiderhosen....make it stop!

Hmmmm ... now that you mention it, his knees match up pretty well against the Femme Fatales in line ... and ... you have to go pretty far down the line to find another male DM ... so ... who won Best DM that night? ... anyone know?

:lookaround: