Easy Cure for Entertainment, Maybe?

glory

Then play it as an ENCORE!!

Why I would argue away from the encore is that it's likely to be a number of old school moments rolled out to (likely) huge applause for what it was. Don't get me wrong, I would love every last one.

But I think the concert concept, while something drawn from the past, can be recreated in a fresh new way with new tunes and new moments/memories. I believe it would not hinder design but become just a different brush in the paint box. But it will not happen unless it is guided by rule (or BD makes it popular and then the rest follow suit).

Why is your definition of music just when "the majority of horns are playing"? I bet you the percussion was playing if the horns weren't playing. And if a small ensemble of horns or section of the horn line isn't music... then... idk what is.

a 3 minute drum solo is a lot nowadays...during the 3:09 that I timed, it was only percussion and possibly 1 or 2 horns...

if just one section of a corps stopped marching for 3 minutes, they'd get grilled on scoring. in my instance, the majority of the corps stopped playing for over 25% of the program...

that's significant...

great way of debating your point there.

:rolleyes:

Don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel.

But don't be surprised if you're just ignored.

I find taking the time to compose a well written argument is equally as ignored as most everyone on here will just stick to their predetermined conclusions. This cuts to the point and is my honest opinion. Sorry it's not artful enough for your taste. But way to attack the method and not the actual content.

I find this quite ironic...when I say "no synthesizers...if I wanna hear synths, I'll listen to my Rush cd, or go to a Thomas Dolby concert", I get horribly castigated...

the second statement is just narrow minded and puerile...

This is a flawed argument because Synths, while not to everyone's taste, does not completely change the activity. A band that moves around on a field is a marching band. A band that stands still and plays a concert is a marching band. While a marching band/corps, with or without synths, is still a marching ensemble.

As for the second statement, no...no it isn't. It's honest. The music on the field may not be to some people's taste, but it doesn't make it not music. An apple with it's skin removed is still an apple. It may not be to your taste, but it's still an apple. And arguing that it isn't makes that particular "opinion" absolutely asinine.

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

a 3 minute drum solo is a lot nowadays...during the 3:09 that I timed, it was only percussion and possibly 1 or 2 horns...

if just one section of a corps stopped marching for 3 minutes, they'd get grilled on scoring. in my instance, the majority of the corps stopped playing for over 25% of the program...

that's significant...

It's not quantity, its quality. Does it matter how long the drum solo was as long as it was effective and entertainingr? No. We shouldn't start regulating how much time brass players are required to play, how long a drum solo should be, etc. otherwise we'll get to a point where drum corps becomes intolerably formulaic and predictable...

Why I would argue away from the encore is that it's likely to be a number of old school moments rolled out to (likely) huge applause for what it was. Don't get me wrong, I would love every last one.

But I think the concert concept, while something drawn from the past, can be recreated in a fresh new way with new tunes and new moments/memories. I believe it would not hinder design but become just a different brush in the paint box. But it will not happen unless it is guided by rule (or BD makes it popular and then the rest follow suit).

I do not like the sound of a mandated set of time where visual is not judged. If I'm able to see the corps on the field, there should be a judge judging them visually. DCI should always value the combination of visual and music that makes the marching arts the Marching Arts.

the ONLY way I'd ever be in favor for something like this if it was turned into a "post-show" kind of thing like an "encore competition". The concert concept should not be a requirement for a field show under DCI rules.

Does it matter how long the drum solo was as long as it was effective and entertaining?

Yes it does, really. Let's take your logic to the extreme.

If a corps decided (for whatever reason) to never put their horns up at all for the entire show, that would not be acceptable for obvious reasons. This is not an indoor percussion circuit... yet. At some point in a production there is an inherent balance of all instrumentation that is expected. Generally, it's expected "most of the time," thus, the "ensemble music" concept.

I'm not advocating regulating anything by use of a stopwatch, but we can't go as far as you suggest, "as long as [it's] effective and entertaining."

I do not like the sound of a mandated set of time where visual is not judged. If I'm able to see the corps on the field, there should be a judge judging them visually. DCI should always value the combination of visual and music that makes the marching arts the Marching Arts.

the ONLY way I'd ever be in favor for something like this if it was turned into a "post-show" kind of thing like an "encore competition". The concert concept should not be a requirement for a field show under DCI rules.

We've seen drum corps take on an amazing transformation in the form of a Broadway production. I think corps/designers could find a myriad of ways to be entertaining and competitive (within all of the captions) with some kind of "concert-emphasis" component required.

Again, if Figure Skating can work out multiple requirements within their competitive/artistic activity, what's the problem here?

That's because whenever someone names a specific corps, they're immediately attacked for hatin' on the kids.

and that corps can change from year to year

There are diplomatic ways of saying anything...

diplomacy rarely is an issue. homerism is