Passing of Mike "Bushman" Melvin

FPonzo

I received this the other day. I thought it would be appropriate to post this here. Anyone who would like to send along a note, please do so. I am sure his neice would love to hear any stories about Mike......

I for one, although have never met him, can remember him playing some of the most amazing solos in 1985 when I was with Sun.....I think it was his Malaguena Intro that really got me hooked on some amazing Caballero Music.....he was truly an inspiration to this young, future soloist....and I will never forget him!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with deep sadness that I send along information regarding the passing of long time Caballeros soloist, Mike “Bushman” Melvin this past November. “Bushman” marched from 1972 through 1986 while also spending some time with the New York Skyliners during his long drum corps career. In 1985 he won the DCA Soloist of the Year Award.

His niece, Jodi Melvin, sent the information below regarding his passing. She never got to hear him play in person, but she can relive his legacy through the videos on the Cabs website. Her contact information is below. She would very much like to hear from anyone who wants to share stories about her “Uncle Mike”. Please keep a good thought for our old friend “The Bushman”.

Forwarded from Jodi Melvin . . .

Jodi Melvin

2716 Webber Street

Saginaw, MI 48601

e-mail: f.woodf1959@yahoo.com

Mike "Bushman" Melvin

June 26, 1949 - November 11, 2010

Home: O'Fallon, Missouri

His passing was due to heart failure.

Very sad to hear of Bushman's passing, a number of us were asking about his where about a few years ago but were unable to track him down. What a great talent he was, one of the best. Having marched with him in the 80's I could never understand why he was called Bushman, as a matter of fact I did'nt know his real name until just a few years ago.

He had so many great solo's, your right Frank his Malaguena Intro was one for the ages but his solo in LA is my lady was not to shaby.

RIP

Bushman

I received this the other day. I thought it would be appropriate to post this here. Anyone who would like to send along a note, please do so. I am sure his neice would love to hear any stories about Mike......

I for one, although have never met him, can remember him playing some of the most amazing solos in 1985 when I was with Sun.....I think it was his Malaguena Intro that really got me hooked on some amazing Caballero Music.....he was truly an inspiration to this young, future soloist....and I will never forget him!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with deep sadness that I send along information regarding the passing of long time Caballeros soloist, Mike “Bushman” Melvin this past November. “Bushman” marched from 1972 through 1986 while also spending some time with the New York Skyliners during his long drum corps career. In 1985 he won the DCA Soloist of the Year Award.

His niece, Jodi Melvin, sent the information below regarding his passing. She never got to hear him play in person, but she can relive his legacy through the videos on the Cabs website. Her contact information is below. She would very much like to hear from anyone who wants to share stories about her “Uncle Mike”. Please keep a good thought for our old friend “The Bushman”.

Forwarded from Jodi Melvin . . .

Jodi Melvin

2716 Webber Street

Saginaw, MI 48601

e-mail: f.woodf1959@yahoo.com

Mike "Bushman" Melvin

June 26, 1949 - November 11, 2010

Home: O'Fallon, Missouri

His passing was due to heart failure.

I had the pleasure of marching with Mike in 82 in the Skyliners.he attracted much attention from the beginning because of his custom made horn,It was styled after the famous trumpet player Dizzy Gillespie.The body of the horn was straight with the bell on a 45 degree angle.Hey ,believe me he didn't need any tricks to prove what a great player he was.He fit right in with the leads ,and since I had once marched in the Cabs myself, I tried to make him feel at ease from the start. We used to jam after practice playing both Cabs and Sky tunes.When Hy needed a little musical tag at the end of "Come in from the Rain,,,Mike ad libed some real nice phrasing that was never played the same way twice.His stay with NY was not long ,but he made quite an impression wile he was there.One of the strongest sopranos I have played with,who played every note of the show without exception ,and had a good time doing it.He was one of the best and will be missed not only by the people that heard him play ,but by anyone that had ever met him.R.I.P. my friend Bobby Burke

Thanks for sharing this information, Frank. Like Bobby Burke, I marched with Bushman at Sky in 1982. He was a great brass player and musician, and it was an honor and pleasure to get to know him during that time. RIP, Mike Melvin. Sincerest sympathies to Mike's family and friends.

Frank, thank you for letting everyone know. I also had the pleasure of marching with Mike in 1982.

RIP Mike

RIP. He was a great player. His solo work in "Bully" in 1986.... outstanding.

What a player... RIP

I never got full confirmation, but was he the Evita soloist in 1984 (One of the most beautiful soprano solos ever IMO)

"Mike 'Bushman' Melvin":

So very sad to read of his passing. I also wondered what had become of him after his stellar years in Caballeros.

I believe that Mike's junior corps years were spent in the old Bellville Black Knights of Bellville IL.

RIP.

Elphaba

I remember standing directly in front of him, along with most of the Empire Statesmen lead line, at the Preview of Champions Show in Scranton 1986. We were just in awe of the pure power with which "Bushman" played. I talked with the late Ted Heumann about him in the 90's. Teddy was the first one to tell me, "Oh, that was Bushman!"

We had often wondered over the years where he went. I guess when he was done with corps, he went home to Missouri.

Now he has gone home. :angel1:

R.I.P. Bushman