starting out

what would be the easiest way to start a new & previous corp in dci its a surprize no one will believe who it is but we have all the confidence in the world we can do it thanks VKM/oldschool Bristol Pa

Edited by oldschool1180

Money.

After you get some of that, go get more.

:thumbup:

The easiest way to start a corps is to marry a rich widower who is six months away from death.

The easiest way to start a corps is to play the lottery with your entire paycheck for a year or more.

The most effective way to start a corps is to start with the realization "good" rarely comes from "easy".

Then you might read Bill Cook's diatribe titled "So you want to start a drum corps?" Whenever I get the urge to save drum corps I read it to bring me back to reality.

(If you'll PM me your email address I'll send you a copy.)

• Like 1

Go to the Star of Indiana website.

Read "So you want to start a drum corps?" by Bill Cook.

Then you might read Bill Cook's diatribe titled "So you want to start a drum corps?" Whenever I get the urge to save drum corps I read it to bring me back to reality.

(If you'll PM me your email address I'll send you a copy.)

Go to the Star of Indiana website.

Read "So you want to start a drum corps?" by Bill Cook.

Hive mind

what would be the easiest way to start a new & previous corp in dci its a surprize no one will believe who it is but we have all the confidence in the world we can do it thanks VKM/oldschool Bristol Pa

Raise $1,000,000, start several for-profit businesses that are immune to recessions, obtain a mid-sized school building as far from neighbors as possible, find hundreds of volunteers, and hire some excellent business managers, educators, etc. THEN, and only THEN, advertise for members.

Find a local, well established not-for-profit organization and talk to the CEO or the like and spin them some feel good stuff about how it will make the organization look great for providing an activity for all ages. Start as a parade corps and slowly build up to entering DCI

Money, talent, and punctuation for a start! :thumbup:

• Like 1

It is not the initial pile of money that is the biggest hurdle. You need reliable, sustainable, ongoing fund raising - like a huge bingo game or a stand-alone band circuit. Those don't just happen.

The corps itself will likely never be profitable. It will cost more to tour, provide a safe and satisfactory experience for the members (and otherwise fulfill your dreams and corporate mission) than any money you will receive from DCI or can raise from member fees and dues.

You must view the corps as one component of a larger non-profit entity in order to have that larger effort support the corps. It is difficult to start such a thing from scratch. It is all but impossible to do such a thing as a solo effort.