The most overrated shows of the last decade

Thank you for the explanation, Jeff. If problems like this can happen to the Scouts, they can happen to anyone. I marched Crown from 90-92 and am continuously concerned that they are spending too much money on trying to win a championship rather than entertaining. I could be wrong, but DCI has become soo much about competition and more about money. I want to be entertained!!

Great years for Crown - especially the 92 Malcolm Arnold show. Saw you guys live at Camp Randall that year when I was still living in Madison, and that was an exciting and memorable show...especially Cornish Dances! As far as where they are now, I see your concern...hopefully they aren't over-spending, but I feel like they are still very entertaining - especially 2004,2007 and 2010!

And going forward with Madison - the 2011 show promises to be very exciting where all areas

will be stepped up a notch and the source material is mostly new with just a hint of "old" in

the opener. I think visually and in percussion you'll see quite a bit of improvement.

I'm also looking forward to Crown doing "Rach Star"...the description kind of reminds me

of the 2004 show...also just finished watching the movie "Rock Star" again. Lol

Edited by madalumni

Great years for Crown - especially the 92 Malcolm Arnold show. Saw you guys live at Camp Randall that year when I was still living in Madison, and that was an exciting and memorable show...especially Cornish Dances! As far as where they are now, I see your concern...hopefully they aren't over-spending, but I feel like they are still very entertaining - especially 2004,2007 and 2010!

And going forward with Madison - the 2011 show promises to be very exciting where all areas

will be stepped up a notch and the source material is mostly new with just a hint of "old" in

the opener. I think visually and in percussion you'll see quite a bit of improvement.

I'm also looking forward to Crown doing "Rach Star"...the description kind of reminds me

of the 2004 show...also just finished watching the movie "Rock Star" again. Lol

Thank you for the encouragement on the 92 show. That was a tough year for us. Some bad decisions by the staff really put the members in a bad position. The worst was having us perform at Nightbeat after the Blue Devils. That was just wrong, but I loved the music. I also thought we would have a larger corps considering our major success in 1991 as the runner-up in Division II, but I thought we did well for what we had.

My view (which is not likely to win me friends here, I admit):

There is significant desire in portions of the drum corps community to relive the glories of the past. SCV and the Scouts have had more of their glory in the past than the present.

Wait....just a couple days back, you were telling us that we all want a brand-new champion. Now we all want former champs to make comebacks?

Make up your mind.

Wait....just a couple days back, you were telling us that we all want a brand-new champion. Now we all want former champs to make comebacks?

Make up your mind.

Did I say "brand new"? If I did, I meant it only in the most immediate sense. No doubt there is room in the hearts of the crowd for a gold medal for Madison no matter how familiar a champion they might be.

HH

For example, Cascades in 2002 were starting to beat Madison Scouts early in the season. The more the judges did that scoring during the season, the more believable it became when Seattle Cascades placed top 12. Was that corps overrated? Very much so, probably in the top 3 overrated shows of the decade, at least from a judges standpoint. And while I was excited to see a new corps break into the top 12, along with returning faves Magic and Spirit, Cascades were nowhere near a top 12 level that year. But the judges made it a point to make it look like they had a chance all year long. So alot of the overrated shows have become that way simply because of what 7 people in khakis have put in their number.

As much as I don't want to imply anything negative toward Seattle Cascades (because this isn't about them), what he writes here is true.

The 2002 finalist lineup was all about making sure a particular corps was denied a top twelve placement. To go into further detail about all of that would most certainly hijack this thread, to say nothing about opening some VERY deep and UGLY wounds.

Bottom line, the 2002 Seattle Cascades' show... definitely overrated, and unfortunately for the worst of reasons.

I really tried to not post in this thread, but this is BS.

First, They should have beat Madison. Madison was a mess all year. This coming from a Scouts Alumni.

Second, Cascades rightfully deserved that 12th spot. It was a good design and it was performed well.

Fourth, Some of you need to get over yourselves, seriously.

I sense more than simple opinion here... and I'm NOT a Scouts Alumni.

I invite anyone to view video of the 2002 Madison Scouts... objectively. It's a great example of one of the most underrated shows of the decade.

Again, I sense (suspect) that your ability to be objective about it may be limited, for reasons not worth getting into. Though, I could be wrong.

As for myself, I admit that I bring a heavy bias of support for a former, long-time director of the Madison Scouts, but it doesn't affect my willingness to call it like I see it, and that 2002 Madison Corps was unquestionably top twelve calibre.

For purposes of this thread, I rate the 2002 Seattle Cascades' show as one of the most overrated shows of the decade.