2011 SCV

I don't know, isn't the current Santa Clara technique pretty close to the old-school Santa Clara technique(mis-to-late 80s?) I've seen some big knee bend on MMs going backwards in those videos, going well into the early 90s as well....

While it's true the genesis for The Cavaliers' marching technique is grounded in the old Santa Clara Vanguard marching technique, the modern version is very far away from the core of the old Vanguard technique (with or without pivots).

The closest, in my opinion, was the 2009 technique. It was not as exaggerated as the current technique which more resembles the modern day Cavaliers' technique. It seemed to me that in 2009, the technique was similar to and respectful of the traditional Santa Clara look while still trying to have some of its own unique qualities (ie: no hip pivots). I have no idea why they changed philosophies and went with this hard-core Cavalier approach ... aside from the obvious aesthetic quality which a lot of people appear to not care for ... it just seems like it is more about The Cavaliers and not the old Vanguard style ... which is fine, I guess?

Either way, I am sure they will be great come August

While it's true the genesis for The Cavaliers' marching technique is grounded in the old Santa Clara Vanguard marching technique, the modern version is very far away from the core of the old Vanguard technique (with or without pivots).

The closest, in my opinion, was the 2009 technique. It was not as exaggerated as the current technique which more resembles the modern day Cavaliers' technique. It seemed to me that in 2009, the technique was similar to and respectful of the traditional Santa Clara look while still trying to have some of its own unique qualities (ie: no hip pivots). I have no idea why they changed philosophies and went with this hard-core Cavalier approach ... aside from the obvious aesthetic quality which a lot of people appear to not care for ... it just seems like it is more about The Cavaliers and not the old Vanguard style ... which is fine, I guess?

Either way, I am sure they will be great come August

New staff. They tweaked the technique just a little bit from 2009 to 2010, then didn't change it for this year. What they did was change the articulation in the backwards marching. It used to be that the foot landed on the platform of the foot, now it lands pretty much on the toe, and rolls all of the way down from there. :thumbup: Hope that helps.

I liked the '09 style better, it was really fluid and good to watch happen.

I have no idea why they changed philosophies and went with this hard-core Cavalier approach ... aside from the obvious aesthetic quality which a lot of people appear to not care for ... it just seems like it is more about The Cavaliers and not the old Vanguard

Could it be that the current Corps Director of the Vanguard spent a lot of years with the Cavaliers as their Corps Director and moved out there to run things for the Vanguard there ? Not a flame. Just asking as a complete outsider thats all as a plausable reason for these " changed philosophies " as you stated with the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Edited by BRASSO

Glad you like it but it rubs me the wrong way...I also don't like the Cavie "sit & lean" backward technique either as the MMs "shrink" in height.

Yes, but the hip and knee joints of the members sure as hell appreciate it.

• Like 3

Nobody wants to answer my earlier question about Santa Clara not playing above a mezzo forte their entire show. I'm not trying to be cute or coy about it. It's an honest question. Why are they taking that approach this year?

I dont think its intentional.. They probably dont feel like they can blast out sound until they can get their hornline in tune. I guarantee that the hornline will be MILES better than where it is right now come finals. I bet we will hear some serious sound after they get their horn players seasoned.

• Like 1

I dont think its intentional.. They probably dont feel like they can blast out sound until they can get their hornline in tune. I guarantee that the hornline will be MILES better than where it is right now come finals. I bet we will hear some serious sound after they get their horn players seasoned.

Hmmmm. As soft as their top dynamic level is, wouldn't it be hard to suddenly open up over half way through the year? Seems to me that a lot of habbits would have to be suddenly changed. Not much season left.

Nobody wants to answer my earlier question about Santa Clara not playing above a mezzo forte their entire show. I'm not trying to be cute or coy about it. It's an honest question. Why are they taking that approach this year?

The brass staff is composed of people almost exclusively from Cavies back in the early 2000's. They value conceptual sounds over volume, which I personally prefer.

• Like 1

The brass staff is composed of people almost exclusively from Cavies back in the early 2000's. They value conceptual sounds over volume, which I personally prefer.

This is pure hogwash. You can play above a mezzo forte and still have a great conceptual sound. Ever heard the Chicago Symphony? I have, my ears were ringing like a Metalica concert when I left the hall. And furthermore, do you not think corps like Carolina Crown have a great sound? I do, and boy they play loud (when appropriate)? Making "music" involves "emotions". Playing no louder than a mezzo forte is flat and void of intended emotions desired by the composer.

Lastly, is this approach really working for them? From the looks of their brass scores, I would say not.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 4

Being new to a particular corps doesn't meant one is necessarily a drum corps "rookie." The lack of available corps and the competition for spots practically guarantees that whoever makes the cut should be good at what they do. Thus, I dismiss the rookie theory and stick with the design theory that, contrary to others that believe, it is “brilliant,” I don’t. However, I do agree that visually, the show is much more challenging than, for example, their neighbors to the north.