Cadets to Honor "The Uniform" in Special 2011 Ceremony

Color is tied to the image of a corps. What if the Blue Devils changed

Well, I seem to recall the early 90s Blue Devils having very little "blue" in their uniforms at all, being mainly black, grey, and white. And remember Vanguard's color experiments? Aqua and Bronze in 1996, and Metallics (Gold, Bronze, Silver), Yellow and Black in 1993 (still some of my favorite uniforms ever).

Also, Phantom has gone through several iterations of black versus white, with blue sashes replacing their "traditional" red in both 1992 and 2007. I don't think Phantom has an "identity crisis" because of this, do you? Their image as perhaps DCI's finest purveyors of classical music on the field has survived uniform changes in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2009 (am I missing any?) just in the past 20 years.

Whoopeedoo for the Regiment. We're talking about the Cadets, and the culture within the alumni reveres the uniform and the corps song. Even the new logo is an homage to the uniform. It is a big deal to former marching members and DONORS.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

Color is tied to the image of a corps. What if the Blue Devils changed to almond toast, or the Cavaliers became known as the Puce Machine?

Who said the Cadets are changing their colors?

• Like 1

Would like to sit near Guardling at finals.

HH

Would like to sit near chaddyt at finals.

HH

Would like to sit near DutDutOut at finals.

HH

Would like to sit ner euponitone at finals.

HH

Would like to sit near hostrauser at finals.

HH

Would like to sit near charlie1223 at finals.

HH

Would like Glory to buy up a section on the 50 to make this happen. :tongue:

• Like 2

...We're talking about the Cadets, and the culture within the alumni reveres the uniform and the corps song...

Surely that reverence doesn't stop there. Surely that love for the Cadets isn't just a love for the uniform. Surely in that culture of reverence and respect there is the capacity to recognize in the Cadets a beauty and a value that isn't just skin deep. It is possible to love the Cadets for who they are and not for what they wear. It is possible, after all and most of all, to love the uniform and the Cadets together and apart.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

I think that the fact that the uniform is such a defining feature can hold a program back. People have complained about the Cadets looking dated. Their last championship was when they did something wacky to the uniform. Nostalgia is a very powerful emotion, but it will never exist if we dont move on to something new to appreciate the old. I love the Cadets uniform. I will always be fond of it. But, when they bring it back, which they should, it will be WAY more special. I dont think the maroon and gold is what makes them the Cadets. I see what I perceive to be the true Cadet Spirit in ensemble rehearsal, in their horns up, in their horns down, in their technique, in their sound. Just watching them rehearse makes ME excited about hard work and excellence. And I never even marched there.

funny tho:

did the uniform hold back West Side 84/94/09?

App Spring in 87?

Les Mis in 89?

bernstein in 90?

93 When the Kings Go Off to War?

Stonehenge?

Disney Celebration?

no. so in some ways, the whole "we need it to make the show work" is, well, kinda lame. because clearly, that uniform did not fit several of those shows, yet it worked. I mean really, it didn't fit 83-85, 87, 90, 93, 98 or 00, but yet those shows won.

Again, I'm not pro or con, but some of the justifications do stretch credibility some.

• Like 5

Okay. But don't you think this idea is different? the way the football team "looks" or the effect generated by their uniform doesn't influence the outcome of the game. For all intents and purposes, I would imagine that a uniform change in DCI can happen for a lot of reasons of which are its effectiveness to the audience as an aspect of entertainment or its effectiveness to judges in scoring Visual GE (which DO influence the outcome of the "game"). I don't know exactly "why" changes to the uniform are being made this year but I think it has more to do with the show than it does about revamping or updating the cadets look.

I just think the reasons for changing a drum corps uniform vary more than the reasons a football team would change their uniform.

About the Uniform Ceremony:

I think it will be a nice moment at the show, especially if passed alumni get to speak about how much the uniform means to them. I just only hope it stays positive and that the ceremony isn't clouded with bitterness, but I'm sure it will be a very nice moment to reflect on drum corps history.

did the uniform hinder 83-85, 87, 90, 93, 98 and 00?

• Like 3

funny tho:did the uniform hold back West Side 84/94/09?App Spring in 87?Les Mis in 89?bernstein in 90?93 When the Kings Go Off to War?Stonehenge?Disney Celebration?no. so in some ways, the whole "we need it to make the show work" is, well, kinda lame. because clearly, that uniform did not fit several of those shows, yet it worked. I mean really, it didn't fit 83-85, 87, 90, 93, 98 or 00, but yet those shows won.Again, I'm not pro or con, but some of the justifications do stretch credibility some.

did the uniform hinder 83-85, 87, 90, 93, 98 and 00?

The Cadets would be the first to say that success isn't an argument against improvement. Just because you've succeeded doesn't mean you can't do better next time or next year. The uniform is as great as it is. The day it limits the Cadets' potential is the day the Cadets should concede.

HH

The Cadets would be the first to say that success isn't an argument against improvement. Just because you've succeeded doesn't mean you can't do better next time or next year. The uniform is as great as it is. The day it limits the Cadets' potential is the day the Cadets should concede.

HH

well according to more than a few, it seems like "success" in selling the show depends on the uniforms.

again, i'm not saying it will be a bad idea ( honestly, after several of the shows since 05, i'll try to be positive even if it's against my inner desires), but like i said before as an alumnus told me: they innovated in those uniforms before and changed the game. Who's to say they couldn't do it again?

seems now they zig when others may be approaching zag

• Like 1