Drum Corps World Ceases Print Version

It's quite the contrast between this thread and the thread in the DCI forum. The younger folks love the changes, the older folks hate it.

Print media is a dying medium, folks. Time to get with the times. Smart phones are not that expensive, nor are netbooks. And tablets, while pricey, are super convenient in terms of portability.

• Like 2

I agree 100%, Ray!

I also realize that this is the future of most media, and that the print media that you and I have grown up with and are so fond of is slowly being phased out. That's progress, and we cannot fight it. I also agree it was the way in which we were led to believe that our renewal was valid, only to find out (through second hand sources, I might add, and no direct communication to subscribers) that the print publication would cease, and our renewal funds would be used without informing or consulting us.

I wrote to Steve directly to voice my displeasure and feeling of betrayal. I wonder if you and I are the only ones who did?

Smitty,

I spoke with him a little while ago for about 45 minutes. He called me. I have deleted some things from previous posts and apologize publicly for having cast some aspersions toward him and his motives. I'm still bothered by the whole thing, but at least the publication is saved in some form so all the techno folks can use their current toys. I get the feeling that these are a lot of the "instant gratification generation" who would rather join a champion than put in the work and time to build a champion from a couple of off years.

My apologies Mr Vickers.

Ray

just another drum corps dino

I'm not upset, and I understand. I too love the print version, but even dailies like USA Today and the NY Times can tell you more and more print is a losing proposition. Too expensive, not enough ad revenue especially in this economy, and with iphones, ipads, the web, etc, fewer and fewer people take the time to read newspapers. Hell, people now download books to their ipads and kindles.

Yeah, I guess my collection won't grow anymore, but Steve never ran DCW just for the $$, he ran it for the love too. The problem is the $$ was now a bigger impediment than the love was. I look at it this way....it least it isn't dying totally, just switching formats. I for one applaud Steve in finding a way to keep it alive, embracing technology, and continuing to give us what we expect from DCW, just in a new and exciting

JEFF, I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head. While I can appreciate some people being upset with how Steve converted their subscription into a donation, I think the big picture is more important. I also am happy that Steve has found a way to keep DCW active in the role reporting the events we all want to hear about from reporters who are knowledgable about the art form. I am happy to contribute my money for that cause.

• Like 1

JEFF, I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head. While I can appreciate some people being upset with how Steve converted their subscription into a donation, I think the big picture is more important. I also am happy that Steve has found a way to keep DCW active in the role reporting the events we all want to hear about from reporters who are knowledgable about the art form. I am happy to contribute my money for that cause.

a paid subscrition is not a donation. it is wrong and may be illegal. when you pay for something you are supposed to get what you paid for. and what if you don't own a computer or iphone or anything tech? so you just lose? to just go along is wrong. i do think he should honor his committment to people. if he has that's fine. but if he didn't that' wrong.

a paid subscrition is not a donation. it is wrong and may be illegal. when you pay for something you are supposed to get what you paid for. and what if you don't own a computer or iphone or anything tech? so you just lose? to just go along is wrong. i do think he should honor his committment to people. if he has that's fine. but if he didn't that' wrong.

I did not mean to equate subscription with donation, I was using it in a metaphorical sense in this situation. I suppose you have a valid point that he should at least give subscribers the option of a pro-rated refund should they demand it. In my case he is welcome to use my subscription balance as a contribution to the format conversion process. I think that DCW can some out of this better and more relevant to the activity.

This has been a long time coming and, as others have pointed out, print media is on its last legs. More and more newspapers are folding every year.

So, on that, I say good for Steve.

As for assuming that he could just keep the remaining subscription fees without offering a pro-rata refund ... That was just a bad decision.

That aside, I hope he can make it work for him.

Smitty,

I get the feeling that these are a lot of the "instant gratification generation" who would rather join a champion than put in the work and time to build a champion from a couple of off years.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on here in quite some time.

• Like 1

I get the feeling that these are a lot of the "instant gratification generation" who would rather join a champion than put in the work and time to build a champion from a couple of off years.

You're mad because you're not getting what you want and you're pointing fingers at others as the "instant gratification generation?"

• Like 1

then sue. and when DCW is gone forever, we can thank you