Academy 2011

I think 12th place is up for grabs this year.

If they can build on last year then they must be in with a chance of making finals for the 1st time ever.

• Like 6

With the assured improvements in the battery that will happen this season I think they are a contender for 12th.

• Like 2

Well, I hope Academy tears it up this year! And if they have an entertaining, well-produced and well-performed product, people will enjoy it and it will be memorable no matter what "place" they achieve. How I felt about The Academy's 2010 show: beautiful and memorable!

Like all other drum corps, The Academy is looking to improve their competitive standing through achievement and design. The work that The Academy is doing now is the same work that Glassmen, Blue Knights, Troopers, Colts, Spirit of Atlanta (LOVE saying ATLANTA with that name again!), Crossmen, etc. are doing. So the wild card is not only what The Academy is doing, but what all the other corps within their particular grouping are doing.

As a fan of my particular corps first and foremost, I'll be the first to say that there were high, high hopes on the part of folks like me for the Troopers of 2010. When upward movement was clearly not going to happen, there were some drum corps fans who basically said "yeah, 2009 was just a fluke (or even a gift - bah) and Troopers will just be another bottom tier semi's hopeful from now on."

That is the kind of myopic thinking that all this slotting and design-oriented judging has created in the fan-base. Ideally, every year should be a year that any corps can really turn heads - and sometimes they do. I really hope there will be judging changes that encourages much more competitive movement so we can stop the boredom of predictability that seems to set in by mid-July.

so.... Tear it up Academy! There will be lots of corps right with you hoping to build their fan base and generate lots of excitement, too. :cool:

• Like 4

I've heard lots of positive things from friends back in the desert. I'm really looking forward to seeing their finished product on the field in June, (I no longer live in AZ) and seeing my donation in motion!

I am a fan of The Academy, but I honestly don't see any of 2010's finalists dropping out of the top 12 at all.

I think 12th place is up for grabs this year.

If they can build on last year then they must be in with a chance of making finals for the 1st time ever.

Hmm, I don't know. IMO they will have to beat Colts, Crossmen, and Glassmen to make finals, and I'm not buying that with the way Crossmen's season seems to be shaping up.