Alumni corps 'Season' about to begin

Exactly one week to the first show of 2011, the Dixie Stinger, now hosted by Swing House. :thumbup:

Good luck to all for a good performance and safe travels to Patapsco H.S. Looking forward to the show and seeing old and new friends.

Exactly one week to the first show of 2011, the Dixie Stinger, now hosted by Swing House. :thumbup:

Good luck to all for a good performance and safe travels to Patapsco H.S. Looking forward to the show and seeing old and new friends.

John, John, John ... where have you been ... four BHOF shows already this year ... Springfield, Sky Alumni's, Reilly's and St. Kevin's ... all with a full slate of Alumni Corps performing their full show ... in fact, a ton of Alumni corps: Selden, Sky Alumni, Reilly, Brassmen, Marksmen, Garfield, Bracken, SJ Vagabonds, Boston, St. Kevin's, Defenders, Manchester Muchachos, Pembroke Imperials, CT Alumni ... did I miss any? ... the "season" has definitely expanded ...

:-)

What John said!

Kudos to Swing House for keeping this Baltimore springtime tradition on the drum corps calendar. :thumbup:

Today there is a show for the Crossroads House in Batavia, NY with St Joes, Primetime Brass and the Ghost Riders.

John, John, John ... where have you been ... four BHOF shows already this year ... Springfield, Sky Alumni's, Reilly's and St. Kevin's ... all with a full slate of Alumni Corps performing their full show ... in fact, a ton of Alumni corps: Selden, Sky Alumni, Reilly, Brassmen, Marksmen, Garfield, Bracken, SJ Vagabonds, Boston, St. Kevin's, Defenders, Manchester Muchachos, Pembroke Imperials, CT Alumni ... did I miss any? ... the "season" has definitely expanded ...

Hi Guys,

I think its fair to say that the Alumni Corps season is twelve months a year .No beginning & no end . At least that's the way we at St. Kevins look at it . isn't it a good thing ? When you're having this much fun why take time off ? Going to rehearsal now. We are getting ready for the BHOF finals in Bridgeport in April.

All the Best,

Mike D.

John, John, John . . . where have you been . . . four BHOF shows already this year . . . Springfield, Sky Alumni's, Reilly's and St. Kevin's . . . all with a full slate of Alumni Corps performing their full show . . . the "season" has definitely expanded . . .

Hi Andy -- "Mea Culpa!" No slight intended, I assure you. I was thinking in terms of our season beginning for 2011. You are absolutely correct, the season absolutely has expanded, and like Mike D. said, it's really a '12 month season.' It seems alumni corps in general have returned to (or kept) the concept of year-round drum corps, something that has been lost a bit by both DCA and DCI, and which has been given a great boost by the BHOF. :thumbup:

As for me and 'where I've been,' I've been dealing with a number of personal health issues that have hindered me from getting to some of the shows I would like to have attended. I'm looking forward to the Dixie Stinger and the Serenade with more than the usual anticipation.

One thing I love about the Alumni activity is that you guys have a show ready for public consumption in April. Gotta hand it to you guys. Cudos.

One thing I love about the Alumni activity is that you guys have a show ready for public consumption in April. Gotta hand it to you guys. Cudos.

You can do that, Ed when you don't effectively 'disband' in September and hold once-a-month camps in winter, starting in November. Most Alumni corps just keep on going after the summer season.

We had our first music rehearsal for new music two weeks after DCA, and the show essentially done by the end of January. We have regular rehearsals every two weeks, with just a little extra break during the holidays. (We even learned one song, changed our minds about using it, and replaced it with another new one!)

That's the advantage of year-round drum corps, just like the old days. :thumbup:

You can do that, Ed when you don't effectively 'disband' in September and hold once-a-month camps in winter, starting in November. Most Alumni corps just keep on going after the summer season.

:thumbup:

I hear you loud and clear there. "Off season" should be stricken from the vocabulary of drum corps. The better corps in DCA are the ones that have a clear plan after finals of programming and staff for the upcoming season. Strong winter programs that are well organized usually have better results come the summer months.

We had our first music rehearsal for new music two weeks after DCA, and the show essentially done by the end of January. We have regular rehearsals every two weeks, with just a little extra break during the holidays. (We even learned one song, changed our minds about using it, and replaced it with another new one!)

That's the advantage of year-round drum corps, just like the old days. :thumbup:

Also a good portion of the music goes unchanged.....

And yes, Cabs Alumni may rehearse every two weeks but the Bridgemen only meet once a month. And they do have an "off season".

Edited by LegalEagle50