DCI slotting vs. WGI slotting

Is it just me or does it seem like in WGI there is less "Slotting" when it comes to placing groups from year to year. And why is that?

Is it just me or does it seem like in WGI there is less "Slotting" when it comes to placing groups from year to year. And why is that?

Probably because there are more groups... more staff turnover and movement....more personnel changes in the judging ranks...

As for 2011, there is less slotting in WGI compared to DCI because WGI has not subdivided the top competing class into 2 pre set divisions for an upcoming year based on previous competition score results from previous years, as DCI has set up for this year. This is unprecedented in DCI World Class Competition ( or any other competition activity that I'm aware of for that matter ), and will be interesting to see what effect it has on the DCI World Class Division moving forward. Other that the Group Slotting System that's been implemented in the World Class Division for this year, I 'm mostly interested in seeing what all the Corps have in store for us to try and make their show appealing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

a few reasons.

far more groups that usually only see each other all in one place at one time.....and even in prelims, they don't all see the same panel. Plus doubling the panels tends to even things out.

far less afraid of ties. With that many groups, they happen, even in situations that aren't a round such as a semis or finals show.

Very into contest dynamics. having been with a unit at one 2 days ago, what happened at prelims was no guarantee at finals. The rcaps bear that out.

GE does not tend to call the show nearly as much as it does in DCI. the percentage of points is still the same ( at least for percussion), But performer seems to be the big difference maker

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

.....( at least for percussion), But performer seems to be the big difference maker

Which is why Pulse rightfully won last year.

The premise is flawed. What some call "slotting" in DCI is more appropriately consistency. Corps performances tend to be consistent, so the scores are consistent. Different from WGI, they perform multiple times each week where they will often be evaluated against a common set of corps. We should expect in DCI to see change over the course of the season rather than from show to show.

The WGI rhythm is entirely different. In addition, the size of the ensemble and the venues expose individuals in a way drum corps doesn't.

HH

The premise is flawed. What some call "slotting" in DCI is more appropriately consistency. Corps performances tend to be consistent, so the scores are consistent. Different from WGI, they perform multiple times each week where they will often be evaluated against a common set of corps. We should expect in DCI to see change over the course of the season rather than from show to show.

The WGI rhythm is entirely different. In addition, the size of the ensemble and the venues expose individuals in a way drum corps doesn't.

HH

I've been noticing the same as well. The scholastic A group I work with down in Tampa went on fairly early at every show they competed at, yet they've won every competition and gone undefeated in the performance category. I think it has to do with such a wide panel of judges, as compared to DCI's smaller group of judges who talk to each other.

• Like 2

Which is why Pulse rightfully won last year.

no argument there. I thought they should have won by more

• Like 1