Border Crossing Issues

I'm working on a huge power point presentation for a Music Business class I'm taking, the subject being what kinds of paperwork one needs to do to get musical groups across the border into the US with a minimum of fuss and bother.

I know Scout House was held up a bit over the Bucknell weekend.

Les Dynamiques got detained at the border and missed the Hurcs show.

The Grennies don't seem to have a problem, or they haven't discussed it if they have.

Whether here or via PM, can some of the people who know the issues and have dealt with them please shed some light on this issue and help educate me so I can do a great and educationsl presentation in April on the subject? I'd really appreciate learning about this issue and what can and should be done so we can get Les Dynamiques back down here! :cool:

Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there are two major issues;

1. Everyone needs either a passport or an enhanced driver's licence to enter the United States from Canada. Passports can be expensive for some people and enhanced licences are not available in all provinces.

2.There is an issue in proving that you are not being paid to work to in the United States.To be paid to work in the US I believe you have to have a work permit. As a member of Mighty St. Joe's Alumni I had to have a letter from the corps director on corps letterhead that specifically stated I was not getting paid to be in the corps. I dont know how this works for Canadian corps who cross the border as a unit to attend a US show...is the corps not paid something for its attendance at that show?

Finally, it has to be said that a lot depends on the individual Border Patrol/Customs officer...in all the years of crossing the border at Buffalo and Niagara Falls I have met a LOT of great men and women checking us in with no problem at all. There have been only a handfull of incidents where I had to go to great lengths to explain what I was doing and why and even sent for a secondary inspection (fortunately no rubber gloves required!)and had the car searched.It's also handy to have my Postal Inspector badge in my wallet too! If you are respectful and treat the officer the way you would like to be treated, and have the required documentation, you will probably have no problems at all.

Edited by Commander71

I'm working on a huge power point presentation for a Music Business class I'm taking, the subject being what kinds of paperwork one needs to do to get musical groups across the border into the US with a minimum of fuss and bother.

I know Scout House was held up a bit over the Bucknell weekend.

Les Dynamiques got detained at the border and missed the Hurcs show.

The Grennies don't seem to have a problem, or they haven't discussed it if they have.

Whether here or via PM, can some of the people who know the issues and have dealt with them please shed some light on this issue and help educate me so I can do a great and educationsl presentation in April on the subject? I'd really appreciate learning about this issue and what can and should be done so we can get Les Dynamiques back down here! :cool:

Many thanks in advance!

I could be wrong but I thought it was Les Diplomates...

Whilst we (Kidsgrove) came over for our tour, we had one problem with getting into Canada whilst visiting Niagara Falls and it was not a problem with any of our members or staff it was a problem with one of the bus drivers who was refused entry into Canada.

Just wanted to add that in that it's not all down to just the members of the unit, it also involves external candidates like in our case a bus driver from the bus company who toured us around.

1. Everyone needs either a passport or an enhanced driver's licence to enter the United States from Canada. Passports can be expensive for some people and enhanced licences are not available in all provinces.

Bruce since a lot of my work has to do with security I just have to ask: What the Heck is an enhanced Drivers License?

Agree a lot depends on the guard/official involved and how you respond to their queries. Only problem I've ever had was returning to the US from a day on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Guard had a rough time with the car in front of us and we had a bunch of souvies laying on the back floor (too lazy to pack them).

Had less problems with the car bomb check I had one morning week after 9/11 getting to work. While standing off to the side my boss saw me and yelled greetings. My response was that I'd be a bit late that morning. Guard nearest me said I was the first one getting checked that was in a good mood and not complaining. I told him "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, it keeping my ### safe too". His response was "#### straight not on my watch" which pretty much sums things up...

More on topic: What about the issue of documenting what equipment gets taken in and out of the country. IOW - you might be able to get equipment into another country but on the way back you might have to prove that you didn't BUY that equipment while visiting (and you're trying to skip fees). Usually a customs declaration works (at least pre 9/11) but considering the number of items a corps drags around.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I could be wrong but I thought it was Les Diplomates...

I believe Les Dips had a problem getting through Customs for the Barnum Festival ... not sure if it was their bus or several cars but, they were turned back ... and yes, I think the problem was linked to "performance fees" ...

:rock:

Edited by ajlisko

More on topic: What about the issue of documenting what equipment gets taken in and out of the country. IOW - you might be able to get equipment into another country but on the way back you might have to prove that you didn't BUY that equipment while visiting (and you're trying to skip fees). Usually a customs declaration works (at least pre 9/11) but considering the number of items a corps drags around.

Good point.

I was denied entry to Canada the first time I tried to record a contest there. Apparently, customs found it hard to believe that anyone would go to so much trouble to record a drum corps show without getting paid (hmmm, guess it is hard to believe). Ever since, I always get a letter from the circuit confirming permission to record and that I am not being paid for the service. I also bring a folder full of receipts for my equipment, as there can be questions on that topic while crossing the border in either direction.

Good point.

I was denied entry to Canada the first time I tried to record a contest there. Apparently, customs found it hard to believe that anyone would go to so much trouble to record a drum corps show without getting paid (hmmm, guess it is hard to believe). Ever since, I always get a letter from the circuit confirming permission to record and that I am not being paid for the service. I also bring a folder full of receipts for my equipment, as there can be questions on that topic while crossing the border in either direction.

I only thought about it because I went thru this mess in the 90s when I had to take computer pieces (big ###ed memory cards) overseas for my job. I was going over for other work but was detailed into getting my "other luggage" (the cards) there safely. Problem was I had to bring back the cards being replaced without spending all day at Philly customs. And since it was Gov't equipment I didn't have the receipts. :doh: Ended up spending half a day before I left getting tons o' paperwork at the local customs office.

Irony was the airline lost the equipment on the way home and never had to deal with Philly customs. Finally showed up a day later when someone crawled waaaaaay back in the cargo area. Only humorous thing was when the airline rep said "So your luggage got lost?" and I said "No, US Government property was lost". He probably still has scars from his jaw hitting the ground.

The Brass Shop has made many crossings into and back from Canada, Buffalo, Nia Falls, Detroit.

Having a business is more difficult all I needed was DOCUMENTION from parties on both sides.

Suppliers and Customers, This all stated the purpose. Being in a corps should be the same,

just the proper paperwork from the organization you are involved with.

Bruce since a lot of my work has to do with security I just have to ask: What the Heck is an enhanced Drivers License?

Hi Jim!...

An Ontario enhanced driver's licence (EDL) contains the same information as a regular Ontario driver's licence but also includes a machine readable Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that denotes Canadian citizenship.

This additional information will allow the driver to use their EDL as a passport alternative when entering the U.S. by land or water.

Why an Enhanced Driver's Licence?

Starting June 1, 2009, the United States government requires all Canadian citizens entering the U.S. by land or water to present a valid passport or other approved secure document that denotes the bearer's identity and citizenship.

The enhanced driver's licence was developed by the Ontario government, in consultation with the Government of Canada and United States Government, as a passport alternative for Ontarians who are Canadian citizens to use when entering the U.S. by land or water.