No more Tour Fee Excuses

How about giving these kids, obviously some of the most motivated to march, the benefit of the doubt for the season? And do you really think that Jacobs would put the "...or you don't get on the bus" ultimatum in this announcement?

And what if that kid was the star soprano or center snare, whom might help boost placement and attract auditions the following year? Do you really think drum corps (or life or business) is that black and white? Really?

The benefit of the doubt will not pay the bills, only cash will do that.

The star soprano or center snare still generates real expenditures that must be accounted for when you have to pay the ferryman.

Yes, business is that black and white; pay up or go belly up. And the problem all along, since the inception of DCI, is that most corps' have failed to understand that blatantly simple fact. There have been some great men in DCI such as Gail Royer, George Bonfiglio, and Don Warren. Nevertheless, the most charitable person to ever actually be involved with DCI was Bill Cook! He realized that an entity constantly running in the financial margins, or worse in the red, cannot be charitable to anyone.

Edited by Stu

Yes, business is that black and white; pay up or go belly up.

Business is also about taking risks. And you and I don't know Surf's financial situation and we don't know how calculated this campaign actually is. Generally, I imagine Tour fees account for only only part of the total expense during the summer... from what I know it accounts for about 1/2. Every drum corps ALREADY relies heavily on fundraisers to sustain the corps financially. You honestly didn't think that A members tour fees covered all the expenses for a summer did you?

How many students do you think won't pay as much as they can? We ARE NOT talking about 150 kids joining Surf for free. I can see probably around 2 dozen kids taking advantage of the program (especially if this is a campaign to fill spots currently empty). And of those 2 dozen probably only a few will not supply the vast majority of the tour fee up front.

Those few students who take advantage of the program aren't going to make Jersey Surf insolvent. It will however mean that Jersey Surf will have to raise more than a few thousand dollars more in fundraising. However, based on how much corps already fundraise it MOST LIKELY won't be a burden that Jersey Surf can't handle.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

It's competitive charity, Stu. And until DCI and the corps change to taxable corporations it will always be charity. It's art...not business. Every art organization in the world (music or otherwise) have these same problems.

its very much business...when ANYTHING costs this much to run, it sure as hell is business and needs to be treated as such as far as corps giving kids ( arent kids ) the benefit of the doubt, really? How many solent ventures can say this is smart?

Ask the poor people who are owed tens of thousands from magic and others. Ive seen winter programs fold on promises made by kids who feel entitled or talented and screw people over and over.

I truly hope this in any form works for them but with 1st hand knowledge and seeing these so called promises made many many times. I'll stay the skeptic.

• Like 1

its very much business...when ANYTHING costs this much to run, it sure as hell is business and needs to be treated as such as far as corps giving kids ( arent kids ) the benefit of the doubt, really? How many solent ventures can say this is smart?

Ask the poor people who are owed tens of thousands from magic and others. Ive seen winter programs fold on promises made by kids who feel entitled or talented and screw people over and over.

I truly hope this in any form works for them but with 1st hand knowledge and seeing these so called promises made many many times. I'll stay the skeptic.

Hey Guardling: If I am ever in the position to build a corps I want you on my team!

Jeff: Show me where it says that if they name their own out of pocket price, and fail to raise the rest of their share through fund raising, that they will be disallowed from getting on the bus?

Perhaps you may want to go read Bob's post again.

But for a fee, I'll stop annoying you by being logical and pointing out your argument is about as weak as the need to see me in a speedo

• Like 2

Make up your mind! Is DCI a Charity or a Major League. If a Charity, eliminate competition, eliminate auditions, eliminate high level shows, eliminate national touring, and target the underprivileged youth in communities that need charity instead of targeting the highly talented youth from around the world to be a part of the best marching music activity in the world. If a Major League, then run it like all other major league business which need extraordinary amount of capital reserves to support the excessive costs.

ya know, you really need to see "how major league" some corps are really run. I think if you really had a clue, you'd be eating more than a few of your words

• Like 4

ya know, you really need to see "how major league" some corps are really run. I think if you really had a clue, you'd be eating more than a few of your words

if it was major league the kids should be getting payed and have multi year contracts, for millions...wait no Billions! :devil::thumbup:

if it was major league the kids should be getting payed and have multi year contracts, for millions...wait no Billions! :devil::thumbup:

exactly.

• Like 1

Perhaps you may want to go read Bob's post again.

But for a fee, I'll stop annoying you by being logical and pointing out your argument is about as weak as the need to see me in a speedo

Ok, per your suggestion I reread Bob's proposal (three times for clarity). I still do not see where it states that if a "Name Your Price" participant does not meet their fund raising goal they will not be allowed on the bus.