No more Tour Fee Excuses

And I cannot for the life of me understand why there is so much reaction against my stance that Bob should have guaranteed funding for those who want to name their own price.

Because you've never been able to demonstrate, in any way, that he doesn't. You've just thrown out conjecture about a corps and corps director who have, frankly, a stellar reputation for keeping their financial ducks in a row compared to a lot of other organizations. Quite frankly, it seems like you're arguing just to hear yourself argue.

• Like 2

Equally important, what if Surf finds that they can put 140 on the field, make even the top-12, and it can be done on dues of $750 for the whole season? What if, instead of the Star model, the Surf model is the right one and becomes the standard of drum corps financial management?

Isn't it just possible that going back to music emphasis and less props and fluff (and maybe an 6 week tour instead of 8) that a corps CAN be competitive and the finances would stablize without the constant creep up in costs? What if they used their horns for 4 years instead of 2? What if they ditched the amps and speakers and synths and props and stages and 15 flag changes and new unis every couple of years? Isn't it a little conspicuous that corps finances causes so many failures during the same time that visual pizazz took precedence over musical excellence?

Just some random thoughts for which there, admittedly, many opinions...

WOW...thats alot of what ifs...lol..good luck Surf

WOW...thats alot of what ifs...lol..good luck Surf

so is Stu's offerings.

Life is full of what if's.

I remember a newscast a few years ago doing a what if about Japan and a tsnuami after that horrible one around Christmas.

• Like 1

so is Stu's offerings.

Life is full of what if's.

I remember a newscast a few years ago doing a what if about Japan and a tsnuami after that horrible one around Christmas.

I think some of this is just being taken wrong...well as far as me.I would like nothing more than to see any corps succeed..especially a smaller one BUT I have also been in that position many times unfortunately where kids today feel that entitlement and screw over Big hearted directors who put their life as well as personal finance on the line. For directors like that alone I wish him well.

Its funny since all this came out a few kids I have taught( winter)...all dead beats to other corps have said Well i wanna march Boston or Cadets one devils 1 cavies but said ( kidding I think ) I'll go to jersey they will take me for 100 bucks......After I read them the riot act YET AGAIN and of course told them I dont think thats what they are offering I did say I would hand their names over to directors.....of course Im not to popular now...lol..like i care

I think some of this is just being taken wrong...well as far as me.I would like nothing more than to see any corps succeed..especially a smaller one BUT I have also been in that position many times unfortunately where kids today feel that entitlement and screw over Big hearted directors who put their life as well as personal finance on the line. For directors like that alone I wish him well.

Its funny since all this came out a few kids I have taught( winter)...all dead beats to other corps have said Well i wanna march Boston or Cadets one devils 1 cavies but said ( kidding I think ) I'll go to jersey they will take me for 100 bucks......After I read them the riot act YET AGAIN and of course told them I dont think thats what they are offering I did say I would hand their names over to directors.....of course Im not to popular now...lol..like i care

I think Bob and his crew are good at sniffing out BS pretty quick

so a question: Say Surf comes out with 140 and makes semis because of this plan. Will you come out here and admit you were wrong?

LOL I hope we make Semis this year... If we don't it means at least 3 Open Class corps are better than us, plus Pioneer and the Cascades!

I was going to stop posting in this thread but felt compelled to respond to this specific statement. By your logic, that you have to be "directly" involved with something to know about a subject, then anyone who has not been elected to Congress cannot have a valid opinion on how that entity should conduct business; or anyone who has not been a Teacher cannot hold a valid opinion on how educational systems should be ran. You can say that you disagree with my opinion, and even poke holes in it where I am wrong, but to say that since I have not been directly involved with a drum corps administration disqualifies me from being able to evaluate how a corps should be ran is blatantly false.

Agreed. (Don't know that anyone is disagreeing with that aspect.)

On the other hand, could the reactions to your posts be an issue of tone, rather than substance? It's one thing to express concern about financial risk; it's quite another to insist repeatedly that you know better than a 20-year corps director, despite not having any of the specifics.

Agreed. (Don't know that anyone is disagreeing with that aspect.)

On the other hand, could the reactions to your posts be an issue of tone, rather than substance? It's one thing to express concern about financial risk; it's quite another to insist repeatedly that you know better than a 20-year corps director, despite not having any of the specifics.

Bingo!!! Or we can use the new term "Winning" :thumbup:

Edit because I can't type :-)

Edited by Spartans87

with all respect to Bob, this is "not" how to run a business, which is the demise of most corps', and therefore "not" the best way to look out for the kids.

With all due respect to you, organizations that require million dollar plus budgets to run, in essence, a summer marching band don't really have kids best interest in mind. Unless of course they have a well off mommy and daddy...